Thread: cabin stain

Default cabin stain

Any recomendations on a great, long lasting cabin stain?

Mesmers UV works good. $150.00/5 250sqft/gal on rough ..more on smooth. recoat in 2-3 yrs

We just finished staining our cabin and decks. I used Behr Premium at the recomendation of several others in our area. It has a 5 year warranty on decks and a 7 year warranty on walls/fences. The salesmen said in Alaska it will likely not last quite that long and they have had several warranty claims, but it is about the best stuff available. The upside to that is that you will be able to stain it the second time around for free.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I'll never buy Behr products again after they left people hanging a few years ago. SBS stopped selling Behr because of the mold/mildew issues their products were having and they had millions of dollar of litigation and recalls in california oregon washington and didn't say a word to anyone up here. I have several houses that I put their product on and couldn't even get them to discuss what product to recoat it with.

mics- Rawhide did cause issues. If you have Behr Rawhide on places and it's in good condition it can be recoated with Superdeck High Gloss Sealer. It's a far better product. If the Behr Rawhide is peeling you have no choice but to remove it and start over.

As for stains, I am a big fan of the SuperDeck products.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    mics- Rawhide did cause issues. If you have Behr Rawhide on places and it's in good condition it can be recoated with Superdeck High Gloss Sealer. It's a far better product. If the Behr Rawhide is peeling you have no choice but to remove it and start over.

As for stains, I am a big fan of the SuperDeck products.
    as a log builder i am a huge fan of linseed oil. mixed 50/50 with thinner.. and a dash of tranny fluid to give it color.. (needs that to keep sun out)

sparys reallllllllly nice.. when a cup of water beads and falls off your done.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Cetol, made by Sikkens. Gotta be the very best but unpleasant to work with. I've used it on houses and cabins for almost 30 years. I've got a house with rough sawn siding on it that I did 7 years ago and it still looks new. Expensive but worth it.

I've used superdeck several times. I've had some black spots appear like black water dropplets running down...usually on the sunny side of the building.

I switched to Mesmers UV and it seems to work well.

The issues with Behr was in the linseed products not the rawhide specifically though that was the main product in lawsuits. Linseed as you noted is UV suseptable and blackened on the sunny sides especially in wet areas. I know Behr reformulated and added substantial warranty to their siding and deck stains. I have problems selling it now especially to customers that had problems with their old product.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    as a log builder i am a huge fan of linseed oil. mixed 50/50 with thinner.. and a dash of tranny fluid to give it color.. (needs that to keep sun out)

sparys reallllllllly nice.. when a cup of water beads and falls off your done.
    That’s the stuff for logs, but we used diesel fuel to thin it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

bet the smell will put some hairs on your chest for sure!
    Semper Fi!

I am friends with an excellent log home builder and he goes down to Cheveron and buys what they call Shingle Oil or sometimes it is actually labled Log Oil and it sells for $52.00 per 5 gal. Puts a beautiful copper color on the logs and soaks in real nice. Wish I would have known about it before I spent big money on Perma Chink stain for my cabin. Although I am happy with the Perma Chink Products, just not the cost...

Yep, we sell quite a bit of Chevron oil too We buy it down at Inlet Petroleum in Anchorage.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Sikkens Cetol is the best. A family we know has owned a resort in N. Wisconsin for 75 years. They have about 25 cabins, all cedar siding or log, so it is a lot of work to keep them up. After trying virtually every stain on the market they have settled on Sikkens - claim it is the best, bar none. We used it on our place 5 years ago, two of our neighbors used other brands. Ours still looks great, thiers look terrible.

Default Thank you

I wish to thank you all for your help in providing inforamtion on stain for our cabin. I got it done just before the weather turned to rain by getting three coats on and four on the front where it will get the most sun.

Not sure if I utilized the best stain out there, but for our pocket book it worked perfect. Looks great and glad to have it checked off my list of summer chores.

Thanks again

What did you end up going with. It would be interesting to keep track of both of our cabins and see how each holds up over the next few years!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default what I used for stain

Hello,

I ended up buying it from Sherwin-Williams. It was made by Messmers called Timberflex. It would be nice to see how other brands hold up to the harsh AK inviroment.

Take care,
    AK LIVIN

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    What did you end up going with. It would be interesting to keep track of both of our cabins and see how each holds up over the next few years!