Thread: Tilex the ultimate stain remover for fiberglass boats

Default Tilex the ultimate stain remover for fiberglass boats

I've been getting my 26 foot 1985 Carver Santa Cruz ready for sale, I made the mistake of parking it under birch trees for two years.

I knew it'd get covered in birch tree snot, but I figured it'd just power wash off easy enough, which it did - even if it was a lot more work than I expected.

What it left behind though were brown stains deep into the fiberglass and paint, the entire boat was polka-dotted with dime sized splotches everywhere, I tried starbrite hull cleaner - the one with oxalic acid in it and the stains barely budged. Tried a couple of other products also but they were a pain in the butt (the gel) and/or expensive.

On a whim I noticed I had a bottle of Tilex mold and mildew remover and I sprayed a test patch.

It was incredible! In about 2 mins the stains just faded away to nothing with no scrubbing at all! I used up 4/5ths of a bottle and the entire boat is the cleanest its been in 8 years. The only stain it didnt remove was a rust stain.

It also stripped away all the wax and now I have a semi-gloss finish but thats not a big deal since it needed to be waxed anyway.

It just blows me away that Tilex works better than products 4 to 6 times as expensive and was a lot easier to use.

Just thought I'd pass it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    I've been getting my 26 foot 1985 Carver Santa Cruz ready for sale, I made the mistake of parking it under birch trees for two years.

I knew it'd get covered in birch tree snot, but I figured it'd just power wash off easy enough, which it did - even if it was a lot more work than I expected.

What it left behind though were brown stains deep into the fiberglass and paint, the entire boat was polka-dotted with dime sized splotches everywhere, I tried starbrite hull cleaner - the one with oxalic acid in it and the stains barely budged. Tried a couple of other products also but they were a pain in the butt (the gel) and/or expensive.

On a whim I noticed I had a bottle of Tilex mold and mildew remover and I sprayed a test patch.

It was incredible! In about 2 mins the stains just faded away to nothing with no scrubbing at all! I used up 4/5ths of a bottle and the entire boat is the cleanest its been in 8 years. The only stain it didnt remove was a rust stain.

It also stripped away all the wax and now I have a semi-gloss finish but thats not a big deal since it needed to be waxed anyway.

It just blows me away that Tilex works better than products 4 to 6 times as expensive and was a lot easier to use.

Just thought I'd pass it on.
    I bet it has oxysilic acid in it as the main ingredient. I've been telling guys for years to just buy a box(paint store) of OA and mix up a little bit whenever needed.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I got curious and googled it; ~1% sodium hydroxide (lye AKA caustic soda) and ~4.5% sodium hypochlorite (bleach) which is the same concentration as regular clorox.

I'm thinking I just killed a whole lot of grass along my drive from the runoff.

Smile If it works -Thank you!

I park under birch trees and need to kill weeds REALLY Bad right under the boat! If it works like you say that would solve two issues for me with one solution.