Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Purchasing Property Help

  1. #1

    Default Purchasing Property Help

    Hi guys, I am looking at purchasing a number of properties and I am hoping you can help me with how the fishing would be in that area. I will tell you what I am looking at. Thanks in advance for your fishing info.

    Port Lions off Kodiak

    Pike lake just off Copper river. About 1/4 mile from Rainbow River Lodge.

    Fish Lakes

    Lastly Yentna river accross from Lake creek.

    Johnstone Bay in the Prince William Sound.

    Wrangell Island Eastern passage.

    Again I am looking at purchasing properties here and since fishing is a major concern, I was hoping you could help.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Spank

  2. #2
    Member KUMA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    ALASKA-Yes, I can spell
    Posts
    151

    Default

    I have no idea, but I would love to live in Wrengell.

  3. #3
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Yentna at lake creek is kings and silvers. There are other streams in that area for silvers too. Lake creek had good trout fishing also.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  4. #4
    Member theultrarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    I'm more of a saltwater guy so I would go with Johstone or Port Lions. These are also harder/more expensive to get to and very remote. Not alot of neighbors to chat with for sure. Fishing would be incredible though. Totally different than some of your river selections. Night and day both for fish, and equipment needed to reach the land. What is it you are really after?

  5. #5

    Default

    port lions is excellant saltwater and some good stream fishing. copper river, pike lake, is as good as it gets for rainbows and there is a good red run, but not kings or silvers to speak of. yentna and johnstone are good, but not in the same class as the first two in my opinion. I have never fished out of wrangell or anywhere south of yakutat, but i have never heard anything but good things about the area from people whose opinion i would go by. good luck with your purchases.

  6. #6

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Spank View Post

    Pike lake just off Copper river.

    Spank
    Are you talking about the one down by Iliamna? Never heard of one by the Copper?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7

    Default Pike Lake

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Are you talking about the one down by Iliamna? Never heard of one by the Copper?
    Sorry don't know the area that well. It is about 1/4 mile from the fishing lodge Rainbow River Lodge. Both resort and this property are on the same lake called Pike lake.

    Sorry I don't know more.

    Spank

  8. #8

    Default What i'm after

    Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    I'm more of a saltwater guy so I would go with Johstone or Port Lions. These are also harder/more expensive to get to and very remote. Not alot of neighbors to chat with for sure. Fishing would be incredible though. Totally different than some of your river selections. Night and day both for fish, and equipment needed to reach the land. What is it you are really after?
    I am looking for property with great appreciation potential, with great fishing.

    Something on a lake.
    Something on a river.
    Something on Salt Water. Love Little Johnstone since it is on a lake, but right off the saltwater.

    We would have a small boat for fishing at the property. Most would be rubber rafts with fiberglass bottom. Nothing huge or metal, just light and easy to get around.

    Thanks for your help.

    Allan

  9. #9
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    I would advise against purchasing remote AK land with any expectation of it signifigantly appreciating. Remote land prices have heald pretty steady for the past 20 years, and unless some sort of development is planned near that land, don't expect it to increase much in value.

    Have you figured out how to access those remote properties and looked into what it will cost to get building materials out there? Great ocean fishing generally isn't from shore, so that means you'll need a real ocean boat for the fishing, and for getting out there. You be dollars and time ahead just getting a bigger ocean boat you can comfortably sleep on then getting remote property, building a cabin, and having a small boat to fish from.

    I've run the numbers over and over again, remote land is very expensive when you factor in what it costs to get materials to the land and to build on it. I've looked at several listings for Johnstone, but realistically figured I'd have to upgrade my boat to have one that I could comfortably access the land in typical conditions, and haul reasonable amounts of building supplies.

    The only reason to get remote land in AK is because you are looking for an experience that can be had nowhere else in the world. Just have both eyes open as to the actual costs and difficulty of accessing it. There is a reason you see properties that see like a great deal coming up now and again. The folks that bought those properties didn't realize the true cost, and just can't afford to develop or enjoy that land.

    If you're independently wealthy and have alot of free time, knock yourself out. I know folks that work on the slope and the pipeline that had both the time and $ to take advantage of such opportunities. But if that isn't you, be realistic and don't drop your $ into something that is very difficult for the average Joe to pull off.

  10. #10
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The only reason to get remote land in AK is because you are looking for an experience that can be had nowhere else in the world.
    Where money is no object.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  11. #11

    Default Property

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I would advise against purchasing remote AK land with any expectation of it signifigantly appreciating. Remote land prices have heald pretty steady for the past 20 years, and unless some sort of development is planned near that land, don't expect it to increase much in value.

    Have you figured out how to access those remote properties and looked into what it will cost to get building materials out there? Great ocean fishing generally isn't from shore, so that means you'll need a real ocean boat for the fishing, and for getting out there. You be dollars and time ahead just getting a bigger ocean boat you can comfortably sleep on then getting remote property, building a cabin, and having a small boat to fish from.

    I've run the numbers over and over again, remote land is very expensive when you factor in what it costs to get materials to the land and to build on it. I've looked at several listings for Johnstone, but realistically figured I'd have to upgrade my boat to have one that I could comfortably access the land in typical conditions, and haul reasonable amounts of building supplies.

    The only reason to get remote land in AK is because you are looking for an experience that can be had nowhere else in the world. Just have both eyes open as to the actual costs and difficulty of accessing it. There is a reason you see properties that see like a great deal coming up now and again. The folks that bought those properties didn't realize the true cost, and just can't afford to develop or enjoy that land.

    If you're independently wealthy and have alot of free time, knock yourself out. I know folks that work on the slope and the pipeline that had both the time and $ to take advantage of such opportunities. But if that isn't you, be realistic and don't drop your $ into something that is very difficult for the average Joe to pull off.
    Great advice Paul. I am starting to lean toward property with a cabin on it.

    Spank

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •