Thread: Question for those who have horses--

Default Question for those who have horses--

I'm living in the bush right now but will be moving to the Anchorage area soon. I'd like to bring my three horses up from Montana when I do. Has anyone here ever hauled horses in from the outside? I have a real nice trailer and truck but any advise would sure be appreciated.

I'm also wondering about getting hay here in Alaska. What is the cost for a ton? Is it difficult to find hay here??

What does it cost to have a horse shoed here?

Thanks guys

Do yourself a favor..... Shoot them now

Quote Originally Posted by deervalley27 View Post
    Do yourself a favor..... Shoot them now
    Nope, I've been climbing on horses for 40 years, there's nothing I like better.
    A gal in Fairbanks just emailed and said she's paying about $350 a ton for hay, does this sound about right?
    She also said $90 for shoes-- thats not as bad as I would have thought.

i grew up in great falls, where you from in mt?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hey packer sending you a PM>.. my folks hauled horses up and down bunches of times... i will give you my dads Email and let you talk to him..he is currently in norther AZ. ...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default horses in Alaska

Hello,

Stop sites along the AlCan Hwy you can get a nice list of from the Alaska Horse Journal, they have a web site at www.alaskahorsejournal.com There are alot of haulers going back and forth right now and into September. I can connect them up with each other if there is trouble along the way sometimes (trannies out, sick horses, etc).

Delta hay runs about $350 a ton, out of state hay runs $500-600 a ton, local hay less but of variable quality. Not much excuse if locals didn't get their hay up this year as good as the weather was. Best to keep your horses at home but there are a couple big pastures in Palmer and Pt MacKenzie where you can send pack horses for the winter and they will stay fat for a reasonable price. More than in MT though. Let me know if you would like to contact them.

Shoes run $75 to $110 a set depending on quality. Good farriers that do packers are usually booked way out in advance for hunting season. Nothing worse than shoes that come off the first day out.

Good luck on your trip, Dr. Holland www.alaskahorsedoctor.com

You will need real resent Coggins test papers. It would only take you a day to learn to shoe your own horses,think of the money you could have saved over fourty years.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    i grew up in great falls, where you from in mt?

Near Helena, its great horse country.

Thanks everyone!!