Thread: jc higgins.

Question jc higgins.

I have 2 jc higgins model 51 rifles in 270. My grandfather purchased them both at the same. One has the original barrel and has a red rubber buttpad with an ivory ring between the pad and the stock and also has an ivory ring on the grip capped by a black cap. The stock is also checkered at both ends.I think this was the deluxe type stock. But the stock has no raised cheek. I think my grandfather may have sanded it off not sure ill ask my dad. The barrel is stamped J.C.Higgins model 51-L sears roebuck and company. Then the serial ###.

The other has the plain plastic black buttpad with the husqvarna emblem and black plastic grip cap with the same checkering and a raised monte carlo cheek. At the time I believe early 60s he had a custom heavy 28 inch target barrel but on this one. The barrel is stamped J. Shannon. He used it for elk and for target shooting. My dad said when he was 8 or 9 he remembers using it in turkey shoot competitions. I dont know the model for sure on this one though cuz it was stamped on the original barrel that we definetly dont have. I do know they purchased together at the same time though and the HVA actions are identicle.

Does anybody more about these than I do? Also who or what is J. Shannon?

Thanks

Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have bought every J.C Higgins rifle I could over the past couple of decades because of the actions, be they FN Mauser actions or the redesigned small ring 98 Husky.

I don't believe Hawks is correct when he says the 51 was just a renamed Husqvarna 640. The Husky actioned J.C. Higgins rifles were husky actions certainly but not barreled or stocked the same as a 640. I think the both barrel and stock were from other sources. The same guns were at different times used by S&W and Ithaca for their bolt action rifles. But in any case these are among the finest actions ever made and are Mauser actions. I have several of them made into custom rifles. Some of the things to watch for in the Sears guns is the trigger and floor plate were not standard FN or even Mauser and we should go back to the Mauser system or install a Timney or other aftermarket trigger. Also the Husky 640 is actually a modified M98 action with different scope mounts, trigger and bottom metal requirement from the FN. Huaqvarna modified the bolt release, safety, trigger and bottom metal from the FN. Not bad at all but different. Some early Husqvarna rifles were made on Blegium made FN M98 actions (1950's) then they redesigned the action to a small ring M98 with some other changes. I have seen JC Higgins rifles made on true FN, Husqvarna stamped actions as well as Belgium stamped actions and the modified Husqvarna actions of the 640 series. All these are very good actions but require different parts, etc. I had a JC Higgins Sako L46 and it also was not a Sako barreled rifle.

I believe J. Shannon was a gunsmith in Washington state somewhere not a barrel maker. I have seen several rifles with his name on them. He was making rifles in the 1970's and 1980's.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I don't believe Hawks is correct when he says the 51 was just a renamed Husqvarna 640. The Husky actioned J.C. Higgins rifles were husky actions certainly but not barreled or stocked the same as a 640.
    Your speed reading may have flubed ya up, I think he's in agreement with you on that.

Here is what he said.
    "Some report that the later Model 51 was simply an imported Husqvarna 640 and the Model 52 was simply a relabeled Sako L46. It is true that Husqvarna used FN actions on the 640, but the barrel and wood on the Model 51 are different than that found on the HVA 640."
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Smile dad says

The one with the original barrel was baught a sears in 1961. With a plain jane stock and checkering with no cheek piece. The other was bought in 64 and custom orderd and built by Jerry Shannon. It had the 28 inch barrel put on and A so called "presentation" quality stock. The stock has shnabel type forend and a small brass pin as a crossbolt. The stock was supposedly customized to fit for my grandpas arm length and such.

The actions on both rifles have the thumb slider type safety buttons not the old mauser looking flipper on the rear of the bolt. Both rifles also have aluminum floorplates are tapped on the side of the action for I think peepsights.

The rifle with the original barrel the stock broke at the sling mount on the forend and has been repaired. If I sent the rifle out could mckmillan make a new plastic stock for it?

Thanks for the info.