Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishing/hiking chest holster

Default fishing/hiking chest holster

I have a Smith & Wesson 2.75" .460 and now need a holster. I saw some recommendations here, but I am a little overwhelmed.

Can anyone recommend a good holster for my use? I will then look for an on-line store that has them. I don't mind paying 50-80 bucks, give or take some.

I know nothing about holsters, needed features, comfort, etc. My only experience is with rifles & shotguns.

Thanks!

Mike

Either the Ak Sportsmans Holster, or Diamond 2...both are the "Go To" choice for a vast majority of folks when it come sto a chest holster.

Ive had my Ak Sportsman Holster for a while and love it..carries my S&W .44 and 2 speed loaders, never worry about losing it while 4wheelin.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default hiking holster

Artic mike i have had an AK hoster for both of my 500 s&w's .one in 4 "the other in 8 3/8".Love both of them they fit under chest waders and are still accesible.Riding 4-wheeler or in aboat, walking or whatever else they stay secure and comfortable .Look locally or type in AK hoster and go to there page.They are made i believe in Wasilla. Very rugged holster and reasonible.

Diamond D's (Dave in Chugiak) makes some great holsters.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by arcticmike View Post
    I have a Smith & Wesson 2.75" .460 and now need a holster. I saw some recommendations here, but I am a little overwhelmed.

Can anyone recommend a good holster for my use? I will then look for an on-line store that has them. I don't mind paying 50-80 bucks, give or take some.

I know nothing about holsters, needed features, comfort, etc. My only experience is with rifles & shotguns.

Thanks!

Mike
    I see you say your only experience is with rifles and shotties, but you own a .460 with a 2.75" barrel...if you haven't shot that puppy yet I'd recommend using both hands, that baby's gonna have some muzzle jump.

I've tried a lot of different holsters and all have their good and bad points.
    I'm currently using a Ringler combination holster which is the best I've used, for my particular uses. This includes hiking with/without pack and a lot of time horseback.

http://www.ringlercustomleather.com/index.html

Billy

The Ringler looks like a do all that does nothing. I don't see how anyone could carry a shoulder rig that fit like that.

i went with a double d leather holster for the s&w m-329pd. 44.mag revolver for use in back county wear as need ..

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    The Ringler looks like a do all that does nothing. I don't see how anyone could carry a shoulder rig that fit like that.
    Looks to me like very well made holster that’s impractical to use. I would spend all my time trying to keep that bandolier type strap from cutting into my neck since there is nothing to hold it away.

CAUTION
    I was looking in their photo gallery and saw a horse with a rifle scabbard rigged in the most dangerous way I know of. I grew up horse back packing rifles and feel I must stress to never hang a rifle horizontal below the riders knee like that!! Not only will that interfere with the horse’s legs and movement, but there is a good chance the rider can get their leg behind it and hung up which has killed many riders. With no way to tie it down it will bounce and bang the horse at a trot or turn a small spook into a big wreck. I could go on and on but the point is . . . don’t do it like that!

It is some very well made leather and I saw some good gear there so in no way am I knocking their craftsmanship. Just the holster as shown is not for me even though it looks great, and I don’t want anyone to get heart by rigging a saddle scabbard like that.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks, everyone!

Good leads.

Mike

Alaska Sportsman. I've used them for several years.
    http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/

I like this one and have used it on an 8 day trip in Wyoming and a two week trip to Alaska.

http://www.wwlholsters.com/chest-carry.asp

I agree that the Ringler tries to cover a lot of scenarios and therefore sacrifices being great at any one situation.

I have a Simply Rugged Chesty Puller system as well which is great quality but for some reason isn't nearly as comfortable for me to wear. I really like the look of the Double D setup. One big reason I like Ringler's is the ability to sling it over my shoulder and head out the door to check on the horses etc. without much fuss. I can adjust it to go on over a shirt, vest, parka, etc. as needed. I don't see it being practical with waders.

ADFields: I agree with you wholeheartedly on that scabbard! Bad mojo there. I like mine almost vertical on-side, with the barrel under my fender.

Good luck in your search and if at all possible try out as many holsters as you can from friends, craftsman, etc. before buying.

Billy

Default Diamond D Leather

makes the best sholder rig out there , I have used others with the strap over the hammer but to me that is just to much to deal with when there's a 900 lb. bear running at you . mabe it's just me but I whant a holster that will hold my gun tite so it won't fall out when running /bending over but will come out with a good yank and be ready for action . Another thang to look at is how easy it is to get off and on some other ones have about 20 sraps to deal with and when it starts to become a big deal to put your gun on the better chance you will leave it in the safe. Spend the extra $60 . Good luck.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear400 View Post
    makes the best sholder rig out there , I have used others with the strap over the hammer but to me that is just to much to deal with when there's a 900 lb. bear running at you . mabe it's just me but I whant a holster that will hold my gun tite so it won't fall out when running /bending over but will come out with a good yank and be ready for action . Another thang to look at is how easy it is to get off and on some other ones have about 20 sraps to deal with and when it starts to become a big deal to put your gun on the better chance you will leave it in the safe. Spend the extra $60 . Good luck.
    A'men to that.

I've been using mine (Diamond D, Chest Holster) this summer, and my gun is a 6" barreled S&W Mdl 29 in 44 Mag. that weighs 3 lbs. 6 Oz. loaded.

Always handy, always comfortable, and I spent a lot of time bending over assisting my wife in the berry picking. (Didn't use the Hammer Loop.) AND, IT DIDN'T GET WET, because my coat or rain parka protected it. I'm not a real Fly Fisherman, but I do it, and my 44 didn't get in the way. In fact, I never even noticed it, even when cleaning fish.

There's no reason for me NOT to pack my 44 with me now, whether it's a short or long outing. I have belt loops for 6 additional rounds. (I use Nickel Brass for those.)

And, as you say, On/Off is quick and easy.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Another AlaskanSportsman user here. I love mine. The biggest chest holster issue I have is putting my binos over the top of it..especially if I'm using my Badlands bino case. Time for somebody to come up with a combo setup based on the Badlands bino case. Binos in the front compartment, pistol slid into a pocket on the back with an appropriate suspension system.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default +1 for Diamond Dave's

The Guide's Choice is a fine rig. A good thread to read is:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=56673

Here's a close-up of mine with a 5" 460...
    Attached Images Attached Images

that why i went with double d- guide holster for it worth the money....my brother has one and he says the best holster out there for the wearing in the brush and working around the house in the garden and other things around the house..
    and it was easly to take on off when need ..

I've been using the Alaska Sportsmans Products chest holster for several years now and am very pleased with it. If you are goin to be on multi day trips or in very wet weather I would not go with a leather holster for this application. Another good option if you are not wading deep would be a kydex holster on a Wilderness belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    I've been using the Alaska Sportsmans Products chest holster for several years now and am very pleased with it. If you are goin to be on multi day trips or in very wet weather I would not go with a leather holster for this application. Another good option if you are not wading deep would be a kydex holster on a Wilderness belt.
    I find leather works much better in the wet than nylon, kydex, or other cloth holsters that I find hold water next to the gun and chafe at me something offal. If you treat your holster with a silicone water repellent like Camp Dry it's by far the better Alaska wet weather belt and holster marital. Unless we are talking about tropic jungles leather works better for me.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast