Thread: Chilikadrotna River Info

Default Chilikadrotna River Info

I was thinking of doing a float on this river next August or early September but don't really know a lot about it. If anyone is willing to give me some info on species, timing, outfitters, rafting skills required, etc. I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Thumbs up Chilikadrotna River Info...

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Steelheader View Post
    I was thinking of doing a float on this river next August or early September but don't really know a lot about it. If anyone is willing to give me some info on species, timing, outfitters, rafting skills required, etc. I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
    Spent many a fine days over the years on this swift river through beautiful, bountiful landscape -

Here is my link with description and photos to the float on the Chilikadrotna River...
    PM, call, email me, or just stop by the Lake Hood Hangar location.

http://alaskaraftconnection.com/itm00004.htm

Default I am also thinking about this float

I am also seriously considerinng doing this float next year and have done some research, but reading the post from the outfitter reminds me of a good Beastie Boys line "life aint nothing but an f***ing comercial". send me your email, and I will send you the info I have dug up.
    jshappart at gmail dot com

I did the float years ago (mid-80's) from Twin Lakes down to the Mulchatna. It was a great trip and had excellent rainbow fishing. We were floating in a 12' Bon Air (like a Zodiac) with a full wood transom, and a 13' double ender Achilles. No rowing frames, just two guys in each boat with a paddle. We had no problem with water difficulty but we did lose a battle with a sweeper.

We took an obviously "new" channel that had recently been cut and was moving really swiftly with about 85% of the river's water. Things were going well till we came around a corner and found a 24" spruce tree all the way across the river about 1' off the water. The first boat (Bon air) wasn't able to get stopped and my dad went under with the ship (good captain he is....) and the two other passengers were able to jump up onto the log and get to shore.

The second boat (mine...) was able to get stopped when one of the guys from the first boat ran back upstream yelling at us. My partner in the boat reached out and grabbed two arm fulls of willows as we got close to the bank which anchored us pretty quickly.

No one got hurt, but we did lose some gear/food. We kept finding label-less tin cans downstream over the next few days which made for some interesting dinners.

It was an 8 day trip overall after we went many miles down the Mulchatna as well. I don't know how much the river has changed over the years, but it was a great trip back then. I'd love to go do it again!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Hey mr. Mudd- Thanks for reminding me of that big tree-- Think it was at Ptarmigan Creek? Scared the hell out of me, but was able to get around it due to the high water, and yes it was the mid-80s.