Thread: Seldovia Hunting Opportunities?

Default Seldovia Hunting Opportunities?

I am contemplating a move to the town of Seldovia in the next year or so.

On the Kenai Borough website I see that most of the land around there is owned by native organizations. Do any of you know if I, not being a member of the tribe, can purchase a permit to hunt game on that land? Are there ATV trails that I can ride there?

I'm mostly looking to hunt black bear, small game and, if I ever get a permit, goat. My understanding is that moose numbers there are minimal and you can only hunt them with a subsistence permit anyway.

Also, if any of you folks here happen to live over there, I'd love to swap some PM's with you just to discuss some generalities about living in Seldovia. As always thanks for the help.

Dave

Bears (blacks) are everywhere over there and the locals will thank you for thinning them out a little. There in not much of anywhere that you can take a wheeler other than the road over to Jackalof Bay and back. The fishing can be great if you have a boat to get out in the bay. Seldovia is a very very small town. You are correct that there is little to no moose population over that way. You will jump in your boat and run back across to the homer side to do any moose hunting. Good luck.

ultrarider was pretty much spot on, u can also ride ATV's on the roads. Feel free to PM any questions.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about hunting native land, if you live out of town your backyard will be a bear shooting gallery. There's a few good ATV trails that out-of-towners might not know about. Small game hunting for porcupine, grouse, and squirrel is good, clamming is excellent, and fishing can be great if you have a boat. Friendliest town on the Kenai.

If you have a big enough boat you can run over to Kodiak for blacktail hunting. Or just the take the Ferrry over to Kodiak.

I saw a wild turkey (looked like an Eastern) in the woods just outside of Seldovia last spring. Could have legally shot him, but I figured the .300 Winny was probably a bit much for a medium sized tom turkey.

the land out Jackalof is owned by Seldovia Village Tribe/Seldovia Native Association. A permit is required to go on our land there. They would be very happy to have the black bears thinned out. I am not positive but i believe you have to be a tribal member or hunt with one.

To echo what everyone else has said, lots of black bears. If you draw a tag, you can go on the toughest goat hunt of your life. I believe there is a registration area there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Shannon View Post
    I saw a wild turkey (looked like an Eastern) in the woods just outside of Seldovia last spring. Could have legally shot him, but I figured the .300 Winny was probably a bit much for a medium sized tom turkey.

There is about 3 dozen Turkeys that live in and around Seldovia.

They chased my Doberman when he was a year old. Funniest thing I ever seen. 12 turkeys chasing him out of the woods his ears pinned back and barking over his shoulder running full bore back to me to hide behind me. I was glad it wasn't a bear. Which we did see a short time later.

Now that I think about it. My male Dobie has had a bunch of run-ins with wild turkeys. In NE Washington he went running over a steep hill right into the middle of about 50 to 60 of them. He was only a couple of months old then. Poor dog buddied up with this Great Dane for the rest of the time that I was working on the Ranch. The two were inseparable.

Seldovia hunting would be Black Bears and Spruce Hens. Since turkeys are a non native species they are also fair game.

At last count we have 30 plus turkeys here in Peters Creek.