Thread: Winter employment outlook

Default Winter employment outlook

So I get the impression summer employment availability isn't much of a problem statewide... there are cannerys and mining if nothing else. But how about in fall and winter? Specificaly in S.E. and S.C. this fall/winter? I see plenty of decent jobs in Anchorage on Craigslist right now, and a few in S.E. papers, but do they dry up in winter?

I'm thinking S.E. would be a good place to spend a winter and start residency IF there are jobs once fishing and tourism shut down.

FYI my experience ranges from shovel work to office work (no more offices though if I can help it), farming, firefighting, construction labor, factory line work (and dept. forman), commercial storefront glazier, warehouse forklift operator, and most recently 4 yrs running a high-tech filtration system in the dairy industry... hmmm... I bet brewery's are similar... anyone got an "in" at Alaska Brewing Co?

Any advice you can give is apreciated, thanks.

It's hard to say, as I see signs of the economy slowing in the state, so who knows what this winter will hold.

I think you'll find that there are more options for jobs in SC than SE when the tourist season ends. Guranteed they'll be snow that will need to be dealt with. Construction seems to run nearly year round in SC, so try and get hooked up with a good contracter while they are still looking for help. Really if a guy is willing to work hard, there is always work to be found up here.

I will second what Paul said. Those who are looking for a paycheck, will have a hard time finding employment. Those willingly to work hard, will find a job! Might not be what you first had in mind, but if you work hard and have an open mind, work can be found in southcentral. Southeast, that is another story. The job market down there is alot tighter and the cost of living is generally higher too. Good luck.

Yup, what they said about jobs.

I would point out that I know 2 families that summer and work in SE then they winter and work in Palmer to avoid the wet winters down there in SE. They prefer the SC winters and SE summers, snow birds of a sort I guess.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Another idea

Make sure you purchase a round trip ticket because chances are you won't be able to even buy a job in S.E during the winter unless you are a doctor, nurse, sonographer, x-ray tech, pharmacist, IBEW lineman, heavy-equipment/diesel mechanic, licensed tug boat captain or a licensed Alaskan k-12 teacher. What am I leaving out?

Maybe check with some of the remote lodges in the area, they often look for people to stay as caretakers during the winter.

Thanks guys, sounds like Anchorage is the place to be... unless somebody from S.E. has a better idea.

Sucks to have to trade one city for another... but oh well, there are worse trade-offs I suppose.

That said Portland and Seattle both have jobs...LOL, don't worry about my round trip, one way will be fine 'till I decide it's not.
    Last edited by need2leave; 08-12-2009 at 22:45. Reason: cuz

Employment is tight. Private sector construction is limited to a relatively few in anchorage matsu. Kenai Pen is dead except for jobs with in the citiy, borough, state or federal funded sectors. Hourly casual labor temp jobs can be had in anchorage if you are talented and hustle but there will be alot of competition by people being laid off. Worst I've seen it in 20 years. I've bid one job in the last 2 months. It was a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by need2leave View Post
    Thanks guys, sounds like Anchorage is the place to be... unless somebody from S.E. has a better idea.

Sucks to have to trade one city for another... but oh well, there are worse trade-offs I suppose.

That said Portland and Seattle both have jobs...LOL, don't worry about my round trip, one way will be fine 'till I decide it's not.
    Don't forget the Valley.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but it is not a good time to come up here with no support system already in place; even some of us who have been up here our whole lives, with all the commections that entails, are having trouble finding steady work. And don't forget to factor in the added costs of living here.

Commections??

Default Connections:

Some extended family, some old aquaintences, and a permanent connection to an attitude that isn't afraid of hard work.

I understand people's genuine concern, things are tough everywhere. But I currently have no job, and an adequate nest egg to last a while. I'm going to be moving... only question is where.

- A related question: down here (Idaho) we seem to have lagged behind the national recession/depression by about a year, and are now in the thick of it jobs-wise... Is Alaska just 2 years behind the curve on this one???

Quote Originally Posted by need2leave View Post
    Some extended family, some old aquaintences, and a permanent connection to an attitude that isn't afraid of hard work.

I understand people's genuine concern, things are tough everywhere. But I currently have no job, and an adequate nest egg to last a while. I'm going to be moving... only question is where.

- A related question: down here (Idaho) we seem to have lagged behind the national recession/depression by about a year, and are now in the thick of it jobs-wise... Is Alaska just 2 years behind the curve on this one???
    Yes and no. People realized that they did not have money to come spend this year, so tourisim businisses strugled this tear, meaning less money to go around this winter. But a good portion of our economy is not tied to the lower 48. There was not the suprime problems here and most people working non tourism jobs have done ok. The problem is that when the credit froze last year and into the beginning of this year almost all retail developement stopped, even when the stores were doing record business. That and a flat housing market have put about 1500 construction workers out of work and has put a pinch on many design companys. Also the low oil prices over the winter led the oil companys to put projects on hold and cut hours or layoff some employes. Even if the economy kicks back up in the lower 48 people will wait a year or 2 to start making their trips. So while there is the posibility of things getting worse next year I think it will just be flat.

This year is down 5-10%
    Next year flat or down slightly
    2011 things start picking up in earnest
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Best part of being in Anchorage is you can drive to Alaska in a short amount of time. Wrangell has little this summer and winter will be worse. Most are just doing brushing work on area islands for the electric folks.

Default Thanks guys,

I apreciate all the input... if anyone has anything to add, please, continue... although circumstances may be changing to put me in PDX till spring... time will tell.

I don't want to discourage anyone, but this is really not a good time to show up in the SE unless you have something lined up that is solid. The downturn is starting to hit here, next year is gonna be worse, but an upturn in 2011 is expected.
    Google Juneau Empire and maybe the 081009 edition is still available.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Best part of being in Anchorage is you can drive fly to Alaska in a short amount of time. Wrangell has little this summer and winter will be worse. Most are just doing brushing work on area islands for the electric folks.
    If I was young and looking to move to Alaska I would try to get a job as a grunt in a hunting/fishing camp. No where to spend your money,great experience.

Default job...

Well, I've been trying to find somone to work at my place, found 2 people. The lady I hired to run the lodge has been doing EXCELLENT to say the least! But she's doing it on her own now, and it's almost too much, and will definitely be too much once winter gets here, and the riders show up. We added a bar and several more rooms this year and a coal fired boiler... and 7000 gallons of fuel for machiners... so it will be a busy winter... with a lot of additional things to do.. but I've not had a single bite on my add that I posted on here... The guy I hired in the spring lasted less then a month... The whole job is to fish, hunt, check out trails, talk to folks and be freindly, and just have fun.. Shovel some coal, cut a little firewood, do some simple construction and plumbing.... All your room and board is covered... I just wish I could do it myself... but someone has to pay for it!

Anyhow, bottom line, if your a hard worker, enthusiastic and keep a good attitude, you can get a job doing anything anywhere in the world. I would not discourage anyone from coming up if they have that attitude.

Good Luck!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

i disagree. the bottom line is if you have a trade your chances of getting a good job will no doubt increase your odds. if you don't have a solid trade with many years experience and your forced to find what you can get, then you better wear a skirt because then and only then will you become an instant hit with the hr dept. when women rule the offices, they are not going to give a white man the job he deserves even if he has the experience. I'm talking about most non professional type jobs. stores, retail banks, ect...when i lived in the lower 48, i never had a problem finding a job. Up here 5 yrs now and it's been a disgusting roller coaster ride. don't move to the kenai peninsula or you'll starve. i can't even make my truck pmt and also have two eeoc cases going where places have all females working and no males. im 52, and had to take a laborer job for a construction company in the mat su last year. working along side 23 yr olds. It was a great crew. But was laid off in Nov and moved back to the kenai.

i'm gonna starve this winter and will never be able to buy me a boat again as long as i'm living in this **** hole bad attitude? try being in my shoes. you bet and i'm fed up with it. if i moved to anchorage and or fairbanks, i would have a job in a week. it's not what but who you know in small crap hole towns like this. But i'm here for the river and one of these days i might have to give that up too. 10.9 % unemployment rate and wages are terrible. it should be a crime what some business'es are paying people. i bet 75% of all employed workers are women.

Oh you can get a job alright...getting a job is easy...getting a job that pays a wage that is comensurate with your skills and enough to pay your bills is another issue. I'd love to work in a lodge and have the necessary skill set to really do anything short of a lunar landing but I can't do it for 5 dollars an hour.