Thread: Any word out of Chicken?

Default Any word out of Chicken?

Not going to be able to hunt up there this year. Just wondering what I'm missing.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

I heard it was suppose to close today.

Default closing today

The quota was met.
    Tony

Blasted a small bull very early Monday morning, was back home Monday night. Didnt hear alot of gun blasts going on where i was, the ones i did hear were very far off.

Wow! That was quick. Must have been good hunting for alot of people.
    MMSI#

Default Not so good to us

We went up there saturday and had 2 just outside of our camp within the first 6 hours of being there. Sunday we had 2 cows come walking right on thru the camp. At that rate, we were expecting to be out of there within a few hours on monday morning. Haha not exactly. Woke up at 4 monday morning and were out sitting down at our spot by 4:30. 10 minutes later we spotted a cow on the ridge we were looking at. We put a stalk on her and were on her in about 20 minutes. I go to take my gun off my shoulder and before i could get a shot off she was had trotted off to the left. We walked over to where we were trying to intercept her and before we even stopped walking here comes 2 other guys making all kinds of noise. That cow just vanished and that was the last that we saw of her! Between the wind shifting on us, and those 2 guys, there was no way she was sticking around!

Our buddies passed on a sickly looking little bull that they could have counted every rib on. The little guy must of had something wrong with him to be that skinny. That was all the caribou for us after sunday! Its alrite, we'll get em next time
    Ryan from Wasilla

Default chicken success

we were fortunate enough to find a good ridge a few days before opening day and sit on it. monday morning, we had two bulls down in the first ten minutes. within 2 hours of waking up all four of us tagged out with bulls. two of the guys took their first bou on this trip, and mine was far bigger than the cow i took last year. we saw a ton of bou over the course of 4 days. this was by far the best hunt i've had in AK. i had to work a lot harder last year to tag out, and that added quite a bit of pride to the hunt last year, but being able to drive the wheeler up to all four bulls and bring them back out to camp sure was nice.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    Wow! That was quick. Must have been good hunting for alot of people.
    is like that EVERY year. unlimited number of tags... for a limited number of bou... it really can be a race to get in and out in time.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Too cool. Congrats to those that killed a caribou. I'm taking the time off from work next year and will take the wheeler up there.

Does this hunt always start on the 10th?

Yes, and usually ends by the 13th.

Default Youngsters first Bou

What a great week. My 12 year old tipped over his first bou. How can life get any better than that. We did it without mechanical assistance as well. Hiked in, tipped it over, hauled it back out on our backs. Hard work, but well worth it and a GREAT life lesson for my boy. If this doesn't "set the hook" on him for becoming a life long hunter, nothing will. The biggest critter he has ever shot before this was a couple of spruce grouse last year. I think the smile tells the story here. Couple of notes though for our fellow hunters. Just because you camp at a trail head does NOT mean you "own" the trail. Stop giving me and my boys the "stink eye" when we hit the trail. You won't stop us from hitting the trail and you simply give me and my boys something to talk about "geeze dad, what was wrong with those guys, they looked mad and didn't even say hi when we asked how they were doing?" Be curtious and take a minute to engage in small talk. Means a lot to my little guys as they begin thier life of providing tablefare for the family. We are all out there for one reason, to put food on the table. Let's make this an enjoyable experience, maybe teach the next generation of hunters something and meet new folks with similiar interests and respect for the great outdoors. I love this state....keep your powder dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CenterMass View Post
    Just because you camp at a trail head does NOT mean you "own" the trail.
    This year seemed to be the worst for this. I have never seen so many camps set up like that. I have a spot that i love to hunt way back there and for the last 3 years i have gotten nice caribou out of there. This year we counted 10 camps on the ridge that we like to hunt!!!! Not a single one in the past 3 years up there then bam, 10. It sucks when a good hunting spot gets ruined like that. My dad and i did the the same while we were scouting, walked right over them.

I ran over a guy wire of a tent built on an ATV trail once. Its frustrating when people try keep others out. Most times those guys are unsuccessful.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

That is one happy kid! Looks like you got a hunting partner for life.
    MMSI#