Thread: First timer trip to Anchorage

Default First timer trip to Anchorage

Howdy,
    My first post here from down in San Antonio. I'll be headed up to Anchorage for the last week of this month for work and i'm getting excited about the trip. I'm planning to bring my 8wt with me, buy some flies up there because i'm used to the flats stuff so all the stuff yall use is completely foreign to me, and try to catch my first salmon.

I assume i'll need waders up there? I have neoprenes, but i'm most likely gonna go buy a set of breathables before i leave for packability. Neo's dont pack so well in a suitcase.

I've been given a few recommendations of shops to hit up for information and locations to try out. I'll be working on Elmendorf, and sadly i dont think i'll have time to travel any great distance to fish. Will have a rental car though, and i've heard park rd has some good stuff along it.

If anybody wants to throw out some basic "new guy to alaska" type info that would be beneficial i'd appreciate it. Hopefully i'll get into an alaskan salmon on the fly! My mom and aunt keep reminding me that fish can be sent in the mail, so i think they're leaving subtle hints....

PS - if anybody will be fishing that week and wouldnt mind a tag along, dont know what time i'll be getting out of work each day but i hear the day light is longer up that way compared to down here in Texas.

North of Anchorage will be the best bet for you and salmon. Go to World Wide Angler, Mike and Keith will get you dialed in and answer any questions you have.
    Jake
    www.alaskaflywater.com
    Jake Zirkle
    Alaska Fly Water Guides
    www.alaskaflywater.com

Word wide angler gets my vote too. Guys were very nice and informative. Parks Hwy is a good bet. Pick up the highway angler book. Lots of good info.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by TX_flyfisher View Post
    Howdy,
    My first post here from down in San Antonio. I'll be headed up to Anchorage for the last week of this month for work and i'm getting excited about the trip. I'm planning to bring my 8wt with me, buy some flies up there because i'm used to the flats stuff so all the stuff yall use is completely foreign to me, and try to catch my first salmon.

I assume i'll need waders up there? I have neoprenes, but i'm most likely gonna go buy a set of breathables before i leave for packability. Neo's dont pack so well in a suitcase.

I've been given a few recommendations of shops to hit up for information and locations to try out. I'll be working on Elmendorf, and sadly i dont think i'll have time to travel any great distance to fish. Will have a rental car though, and i've heard park rd has some good stuff along it.

If anybody wants to throw out some basic "new guy to alaska" type info that would be beneficial i'd appreciate it. Hopefully i'll get into an alaskan salmon on the fly! My mom and aunt keep reminding me that fish can be sent in the mail, so i think they're leaving subtle hints....

PS - if anybody will be fishing that week and wouldnt mind a tag along, dont know what time i'll be getting out of work each day but i hear the day light is longer up that way compared to down here in Texas.
    YOUR going there, on purpose?

you know the one thing about Los-anchorage is that Alaska is right nearby....

anywho... by the time you get here daylight will be about the same ... and going down hill fast...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default If you decide to drive North...

out of Anchorage as suggested, several streams cross the Parks Hwy or you can drive to Talkeetna, stay in cabins there with guided fishing (Denali Anglers) or charter a ride (TriRiver, Mahay's) for drop-off at Clear Creek, where there should be silver salmon at the Talkeetna River confluence. Working up Clear Creek should be productive also.

An easy walk up the Talkeetna to what is now Fish Ck (the old Clear Creek mouth) is another spot worth spending some time on. The regulations here differ slightly, but carrying a copy of the regulations with you is advisable no matter where you fish. If you had a tent, you could camp in these areas and get two days fishing out of your river boat trip.

If you take the river charter option, call ahead first to see if they'll transport a single fisherman or not. TriRiver might require two.

http://www.denalianglers.com/

Tri River Charters (907) 733-2400 - website down for maintenance

http://www.mahaysriverboat.com/

Any of several useful guidebooks to fishing the road system might help. Try the bookstore on this site. You'll have several good options in the ANC area, just depends on your priorities, budget, time.

If I was visiting and really wanted to catch salmon with my 8 wt, I'd fish with a guide to save time - up the Talkeetna, or maybe the Kenai. If I just wanted to fish Alaska streams just to have some river time here and maybe catch a salmon, I'd buy a guidebook and DIY.

I'm a big fan of local fly shops and there are several. Worldwide and McAfees are terrific on the south side of Anchorage. If you head north, I find Three Rivers Fly Shop in Wasilla always worth a stop. It's small, but the guys there fish the areas streams regularly. http://www.3riversflyandtackle.com/index.html

Best of luck on your trip.