Thread: Catching Char Through Ice?

Default Catching Char Through Ice?

Looking for any good techniques on catching Arctic Char throught the ice. I always use shrimp or eggs right on the bottom in the deepest part of the lake I can find. Krocodile lures in orange seem to work very well also. The biggest fish seem to be on those lures. Is there a certain range of depths that Char prefer at different times throughout the winter?

Default Depths

We had them follow our lures up to just under the ice all the wayfrom the bottom in about 20' of water today. They didn't seem to be too stratified.

caught this guy today in about 15ft with just a chunk of shrimp

Default Char through ice

Any hints for the best places to catch these guys. Nice fish by the way. I am headed out tomorrow morning here in anchorage. Just got an eskimo quickflip 2. I was thinking about Sand lake and Little campbell lake.

Default that's a dandy!

Nice fish! Way to go.

sand lake is the only place i have been able to catch them. I ll be out there 2morrow again. I think im gonna buy a new digital camera instead of a shelter i can stand the cold.

Default Char

I am headed out there right now. Maybe I will see you on the ice.

here's something you might try for char.

Couple things actually. First find a soft or sandy bottom and really pound it, creating noise and a disturbance. I've noticed that when I really pound the bottom hard, or the way I figured it out by adding a dry bait dye to shrimp and really clouding up the water, the more char we catch. Heavy jigs and black grubs of any kind banged on the bottom seem to work as does spoons, which brings me to the next tip. Find something that has a bunch of vibration in the water. Jig it hard, jig it soft. On the spoons I fish you can feel the pulsations in the rod on the lift and you can see the spoon flutter nice and slow on the fall (free fall here, don't try and follow it down or you'll ruin it).

The more sense's you can key in on, the higher your success rates will be!!!

Here's a link to some lakers and char from last year. Still waiting on new rods to hit the ice this year.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lilhunter007

Default Char

Thanks for the info. I had the same experience last year while banging the bottom with my krocodile lure. It worked almost every time if I couldn't get anything to bite. I fished the lure real hard slamming the bottom. It must get them pretty excited. Nice fish, any hints to where I can catch fish that big. My biggest char to date is a 26" fish from Sand lake. Caught two there last sunday that were at least 20". They are all stocked fish though. Big lake seems to have some big char but you might fish all day to catch one fish.