Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your main big game?

Default Whats your main big game?

Hello, I've been reading and trying to soak up as much as I can on Alaska as I have the bug. As far as I can tell, there is no main big game animal in Alaska. Maybe the moose? Down here most everyone is all about the whitetail or it's cousins blacktail or muledeer. Elk and such are for the lucky ones. Were I live, in NE ohio, if you are lucky enough to still have a place to hunt, you have a very good chance at a deer. Fact is, there are way too many and it has become a problem in some areas. Just not much land to hunt on anymore. So what I'm trying to figure is: When hunting seasons start opening, whats everyone getting ready for the most? What animal is open for everyone no special drawn tag nedded? From what I've read, sucsess rates are not real high for moose. Do most come home empty handed?

My main thing is bear and love watching them and getting close. I also enjoy black bear meat so its something I hunt to put in the freezer.Next would be dear and then goat. I've only taken one goat and unless lucky probably won't take another.No desire to take a moose on my own. A partnership with three or four others is fine but way to much work and meat for me on my own.No bou or sheep where I chose to live so I don't give them a second thought.I play where I live

It really is highly dependant upon where a person lives and how much time/money/access to equipment they have. In the previous post Will mentions deer and goat, but he lives in Southeast Alaska where such animals are plentiful and open under a general season. In Southcentral Alaska goats are mostly restricted to a drawing permit hunt and deer require at least a long boat ride if not an air charter. In this part of the state, moose are certainly a main target species, as are black bears (particularly in the spring). For those willing to travel, caribou become a popular option for filling the freezer, and for a smaller number of people, sheep are a primary target.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It really is highly dependant upon where a person lives and how much time/money/access to equipment they have. In the previous post Will mentions deer and goat, but he lives in Southeast Alaska where such animals are plentiful and open under a general season. In Southcentral Alaska goats are mostly restricted to a drawing permit hunt and deer require at least a long boat ride if not an air charter. In this part of the state, moose are certainly a main target species, as are black bears (particularly in the spring). For those willing to travel, caribou become a popular option for filling the freezer, and for a smaller number of people, sheep are a primary target.
    Agree completely, AK is big and animal availability varies dramatically across the state. Here in SW AK you can hunt moose (big moose), black bear (there are a few), caribou (if you are resident) but the Mulchatna herd is struggling right now. There is also wolf and wolverine, but hunting for them is more incidental than intentional except for snow goes in the wintertime and many hunters do not classify them as big game. We are blessed with plenty of big browns and there is a one bear a year limit in unit 17 right now and it looks to stay that way for a while. Traveling from my area is always costly, since it means flying everywhere and transporting large quantities of meat is expensive too.

Moose is definitely the animal of choice here, but that is because they taste so gooood! I personally prefer the bears, and since it is one a year in my unit I can do it regularly.

~~Caribou~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Here in The INTERIOR... Moose is probably #1 then bear, and depending on which side of the river or valley can depend on the readily available type of bear...

Black Bears are common more so in some areas.. and Griz abound in others... mostly depending on terrain and elevation. i know on my side of the Nenana river i stand a 70% greater chance to see Griz but across the river is black bear country and few griz... go figure..?

Caribou still require a fair amount of travel and planning. from this end. unless you buy into the states subsistence game in unit 13...

Goats are not a LOCAL option... and sheep opportunities are a little more limited then SC.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default My Favorites...

My #1 Choice AK big game animal...

Followed very closely by #2...

If I didn't have to use a guide to hunt bear, it would be higher on the list, but only after getting some meat for the winter.

Default Deer

I definitely would have to go with deer. I love hunting deer and Sitkas are my favorite.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default combo

Can't beat a good combo hunting/fishing trip either. My pard and a good day's catch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What ever walks past the window...........

Default Swamp Donkies...

! after a coupla beers of course...then after that...Moose...

Man md...............you sure don't look like unalaklikmuit!

I would think something could be arranged for you to tag along on some bear hunts.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Smile moose...

It is the moose for me. Lots of meat. Lots of memories of wall tents, camp fires and time with the family on moose hunts. I plan on doing it until I can no longer do it. They are a true Alaskan wilderness symbol.

Default Favorite

This is one of the reasons I love Alaska, you have so many choices! For me, sheep is at the top of the list. Can't wait until September 18th!

Awesome pics! Guess thats sort of how I figured it. Alaska's diversity is definitely great! I was fairly close to a moose once (not hunting it) but it was just a small cow in the Bighorn mountains. But I can see why a friend or two would be a really good thing on those big guys! I look at the pictures with big grizzles and such and think how cool that is but wander how you ever deal with such a beast. Love to find out some day! Sure wish I left for Alaska before the economy went sour. Now I'm stuck still looking at pics of it.

Moose is my #1. I'd like to tag a nice brownie this year, next year will be moose, perhaps a jaunt up north to chase some caribous.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Tourist.

Moose are my favorite with sheep being a close second. I also enjoy hunting caribou but there's a good amount of travel involved in hunting them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    Tourist.

I thought those fell under the Unclassified non indigenous evasive species act?

no closed season. no limit.. no harvest requirements...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I thought those fell under the Unclassified non indigenous evasive species act?

no closed season. no limit.. no harvest requirements...
    You forgot that same day airborn was allowed too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast