Thread: Solitude Reels

Thumbs up Solitude Reels

I have been lucky enough to be able to fish 2 of them so far this summer. I have a 2 and 3. I recieved the 3 just as the kenai opened to reds an bows this year. Man I put that thing through the works for about a month. I used it, abused it. I was asked to be unkind to it and put it through its paces. It has not missed a beat. The drag does take quite a few turns to get real tight but I found that it adjusts in tiny incriments so once I have set my drag for the reds or bows I never had to adjust it the rest of the day. Nor did I ever worry about my drag while fighting a fish. I did not have to palm my reel at all. It was a pleasure to fish

I recieved the 2 about a month ago. I used it in place of my 3 for reds again trying to push it to the limit. Again, Not a single issue. I am so pleased with both of them. Now the big test for both of them is this fall. with about 25 days of river time coming up chasing bows and dollies they will be put through another wringer.

Just sharing some thoughts and info
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

That 3 might fit nicely on my 9'-6" 7weight. I might have to hit the palooza just to try one out. Maybe I should buy my own

It is loaded and ready to rip bud. I cant wait to fish them for 2 weeks straight and get some serious fall time on them

Default Great Reels

I've fished Solitudes, since they were first made in the small machine shop in Michigan. I have a II, III, and a V. They were built to perform in the nastiest and coldest conditions and have never given me any problems. Those things Hummmmm too if you slap that handle for quick line pickup. They're a pretty heavy reel, but built like tanks and should last forever and then some.

If you haven't seen the new and improved version, you should give them a look! Some old time Harris fans don't like change, but Solitude has taken a quality reel and made many improvements. Harris were one off with no consistency between reels and each needed different tweaks and shimming. Solitude has tightened things up and simplified the design, but kept the great look and feel of Harris. PM me if you want more info or show up at the fishapalooza as I will bring a few of each size for test driving!

Chris Carlin, the Anchorage bamboo rod builder is a Solitude reel dealer:

http://www.farnorthrodsmiths.com/reels.htm

Default New & Old

I have the old models and the newer one's. I think my "newer" models were still made when the company was out of Michigan though, so I might need to check out the even newer models. The newer one's I have are definitely a bit more "Swiss Watchlike" compared to the older models. When/where is FishaPalooza? I thought I caught a thread on it on the Kenai this fall, but wasn't sure of the time. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    I have the old models and the newer one's. I think my "newer" models were still made when the company was out of Michigan though, so I might need to check out the even newer models. The newer one's I have are definitely a bit more "Swiss Watchlike" compared to the older models. When/where is FishaPalooza? I thought I caught a thread on it on the Kenai this fall, but wasn't sure of the time. Thanks.

Hey Snow. There is a sticky on it at the top of the fishing thread that will cover it all. It is the 13th through the 27th of september but dave and I will be going down sometime around the 10th

I've been field testing these reels for the last year and I love them. I had numerous days last winter in the -5 degree range and the reel performed perfectly. Great reel!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Grayling View Post
    Chris Carlin, the Anchorage bamboo rod builder is a Solitude reel dealer:

http://www.farnorthrodsmiths.com/reels.htm

Excellent Link. Great info on the Reels too.

I am lucky enough to be "testing" the 2 and 3 myself. Someone (you know who you are) is gonna have to kill me to get them back. I cannot wait to play some bows on those babies.