Thread: Books for the wishlist

Default Books for the wishlist

I'm looking for some good suggested reads to put on my Christmas Wishlist. I will take titles of any good AK hunting books, particularly looking for moose and caribou hunting. I know there are a ton out there. What would be your #1,#2,#3 choices.
    Thanks, Joshua

Default My 3

There are likely others but I either don't have them or have not read them so I'll go from what I have...

Hunt Alaska Now; Dennis Confer
    The Manual for Successful Hunters; Tony Russ
    Sheep Hunting in Alaska; Tony Russ

I know #3 is not specific to Caribou and Moose but I use stuff I learned from that book on every hunt I do...

Hunt alaska now A must have book.

Float hunting alaska Larry Barnet

Caribou hunting Larry Barnet

Sheep hunting Alaska Tony Russ.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Smile larry barnet?

who is he? ;-)
    (uhh..larry bartlett, maybe?)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Red face Good books!

Joshua, Chris Batin's book hunting in Alaska, a little dated but has great info. Also Mark Taylors first book, Hunting hard in Alaska, helps with logistics for do it yourself hunters.I've read Tony Russ book about sheep hunting, a good book as well, gives you ideas for lite gear backpack hunts! Search the archives of interest on this site, many have just as much experience as some writers sometimes more! Bill.

Thumbs up Thanks Guys

Had some of these on my list already so I moved them to the top and added your other suggestions. Appreciate it!
    Joshua

Default Not really about moose and caribou hunting, but...

...one of my Alaska favorites is Jim Rearden's book Alaska Wolf Man.

It's a story about the Alaska of the early 20th century and a man who spent a LOT of time among the wildlife of the state as an observer and a government hunter and more.

Jim Rearden tells the story very well.

David
    David M Johnson
    Anchorage, Alaska
    http://awildolivebranch.blogspot.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by David Johnson View Post
    ...one of my Alaska favorites is Jim Rearden's book Alaska Wolf Man.

It's a story about the Alaska of the early 20th century and a man who spent a LOT of time among the wildlife of the state as an observer and a government hunter and more.

Jim Rearden tells the story very well.

David
    I agree ALASKA WOLF MAN is the top book in my mind, excellent read! Any book by Jim Rearden is a great read! Larry Bartlet's books are packed full of great caribou hunting stratigy and info. Marc Taylor's 1st and 2nd Hunting Hard In Alaska are also a great read and full of information on moose and caribou. List of my favorites.......

Alaska Wolf man
    Hunting Hard in alaska 1 & 2
    Floathunting Alaska 1 & 2
    One man's wilderness
    On the edge of nowere
    Shadow's of the Koyokuk
    Cheating Death
    All Alaska Bear Tales
    Sheep Hunting Alaska 1 & 2

Yes I have a huge library of Alaska reading, all mentioned area a great read + I have many more....

Default Alaska hunting books

any of Russel Annabel's books - most are a collection of short stories, written in the 50's-60's, but all are excellent reads and Rusty wasn't afraid to name the places he hunted.
    the others mentioned are all excellent, with the exception (in my mind at least) of Batin's "Hunting in AK" - I think you'd get the same info, only updated, by scrolling through the ADF&G's website.
    Gary

Smile The one book I'd like for Christmas-

The only book I'd like for Christmas is the one I wrote!

Unfortunately it's looking more like late winter or early spring now. It seems that all the last minute tweaks and squeaks are finally slowing down a little, but working through a publisher takes more time. I don't know the publishing business well, but comparing this to self-publishing reminds me of the difference between fast food and a home cooked meal. One takes a lot longer and is (presumably) better for you. I hope so in this case anyway. Every time we make an adjustment it gets better, but at some point you have to stop and just 'git 'er done.

Here's the link for those interested in reading more about it. I know some of you guys have put in pre-publication orders for it, and those will ship before anything else does. Thanks so much for your patience!

I started writing this book over ten years ago, but this thing called "life" has continued to happen along the way and between writing and losing my mom, winding up in several foreign countries, being involved in emergency response on a couple of events, raising two kids, etc, etc, it's been a battle getting it all finished. Right now we're trying to find and correct any mistakes before it goes to print. I know after it ships, you fine folks will find the ones we missed!

Well, wishing won't make it happen, so I guess I'll grab a copy of Jim Rearden's "Alaska's Wolf Man" while I wait...

There's always room for one more good read on the night stand.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

"Alaska's Wolf Man" is one heck of a book, and one of my personal favorites. Currently I am reading "The Mystery of the Cache Creek Murders" and this one is turning out to be on the same level as Alaska's Wolf Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    ...Currently I am reading "The Mystery of the Cache Creek Murders" and this one is turning out to be on the same level as Alaska's Wolf Man.
    I've heard of it and was tempted to pick it up, but never did, thanks for the post.

Michael-so given the fact that your book is going to be so good, the chance of me getting my hands on a used copy are pretty slim to none, eh? Good luck in getting everything all wrapped up, I'm sure it will be worth the wait in the end!

Thumbs up Here's a Christmas reading list for you!

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    I'm looking for some good suggested reads to put on my Christmas Wishlist. I will take titles of any good AK hunting books, particularly looking for moose and caribou hunting. I know there are a ton out there. What would be your #1,#2,#3 choices.
    Thanks, Joshua
    Joshua,

Okay, enough kidding around. Want some good books for Christmas, eh? Well, check this out-

You might check out Alaska-Yukon Trophies Won and Lost. It's one of those that you can't put down.

Another of my favorites is out of print now, but you can find it fairly easily on the used market. It's called "Look to the Wilderness", by W. Douglas Burden. I've found it at Alaskana Books (a used book store up here that specializes in rare or out of print books about Alaska). When they have it, I think I picked it up for abound $20.

Both of these books are about the old days hunting in Alaska.

Another of my personal favorites is "Game Trails with a Master Guide", by Charles Keim. It's the story of Alaska's first Master Guide, Hal Waugh. I don't know if it's still in print, but Alaskana has it.

Anything by the late Jay Massey is a winner too. Favorites are "A Thousand Campfires" and "Bowhunting Alaska's Wild Rivers" (if you can find a copy). Most of Jay's stuff can be found on the used market from time to time, and is well worth whatever you have to pay for it.

One that just popped up on the radar is "Wild Men, Wild Alaska". It's a brand new title, and it looks like a winner. I'll get back to you when I've read it.

Finally, you might check out any of Russel Annabel's books. All good stuff from a bygone era.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default The Good Old Days...

Thanks Mike, sure appreciate your opinions. I love stories about the good old days! Like the ol man always said, "they were old, but they weren't always good!"
    Joshua

Thumbs up Jim Reardon...

Yep, David and Gremlin gave you my suggestion: Alaska's Wolf Man. It is an enjoyable and sometimes exciting read, worth your time and dime. Great camp read too, but not for the Peta devotees out there.

You will enjoy, Josh!

Frank

+1 on Alaska's Wolf Man, loved the book and playing in his first stomping grounds (Delta Junction/Black Rapids) when he got to Alaska for the last 3 years made having read the book even better. The things that man endured still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.Tony Russ's sheep hunting books were real good when I had sheep fever so bad I couln't be cured too.

Chris batins hunting in Alaska,very good guide to Alaska hunting
    A must read