Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THE 358Win AND THIS YEARS HUNTS

Default THE 358Win AND THIS YEARS HUNTS

THE 358Win AND THIS YEARS HUNTS

I have gone through a lot of load work and detail to get my 358Win Ruger Hawkeye ready for this hunting season. It has been very consistent and extremely accurate for an out of the box Ruger Hawkeye that has not had any work on the trigger or bedding of the stock. I am very pleased with the results. I was able to get very tight groups with my loads and the VX-III 1.5-5x20mm had not hindered my ability to shoot tight groups. Great scope, I really like it.

I will be using it on my bear hunt in Oct. in Arizona, on hogs and deer in Mississippi and Louisiana this year. It will be my main rifle used this year. I am really looking forward to this years hunting trips and time in the woods.

I finalized my load as follows:

225gr Sierra Game King SBT

Winchester brass

Federal 210 primers

AA2495BR powder

Rifle & Scope:

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Targets & Round:

I have had a couple of fiends of mine say that I will gain a whole new respect and passion for the 358Win if I use it on all my hunts this year. Infact, our family has a friend of ours who guided for years and that is all he used and he had a deep respect for the cartridge.

I new if I did not commit to using it on my hunts this year that I would tend to pick up the rifles and cartridges I have become comfortable with and not really get to know the 358Win. I am looking forward to the experience.

Here is the ballistic card I will carry with me this year.

Ballistic Chart
    358Win
    225gr Sierra SBT
    2471fps

Sight in at 3" high at 100yds

1000 foot pounds energy as minimum on deer size game

Yards--------Velocity-----Energy-----(above/below line of sight)

0--------------2471------3050-------------(-1.5")

100-----------2256------2542-------------(+3")

210-----------2031------2060-------------(Zero)

263-----------1927------1855-------------(-5)

300-----------1857------1723--------(-10 P/B-hold top of shoulder)

355-----------1756------1540--------(-10 from top of shoulder)

373-----------1724------1484--------(-14 from top of shoulder)
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Happy hunting BT

You've done your homework, sir. I hope your hunts are safe and reward you on all levels of the experience. I've always enjoyed seeing your enthusiasm for our shooting and hunting activities.

Doc

Well beartooth you most certainly have her dialed in and that Sierra BT should work exceedingly well for you this season and beyond.

I,living in this blasted condor range of CA, have had to become a Barnes and other lead free bullet connoisseur...

Running the 225 TSX in my .350RM right now. If you are ever in need of Barnes data let me know.

One thing I will say that I found is that with their homogeneous construction Barnes TSX and TTSX are EXCEEDINGLY accurate at extended range. I suspect that it is due to concentricity issues however minute with traditional jacket/core bullets. I have shot them quite a bit though and through several different rifles and this holds true across the board. .257WM to 550 yds. and the the .350 RM to 385yds. measured. Just a little info for you if you decide to experiment.

I wish the best of luck on your hunts this fall and look forward to the stories.

I'm sure the little 35 will serve you well in all efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    You've done your homework, sir. I hope your hunts are safe and reward you on all levels of the experience. I've always enjoyed seeing your enthusiasm for our shooting and hunting activities.

Doc
    Thanks doc, I do get a lot of pleasure and fun from shooting and hunting. I do love it!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    Well beartooth you most certainly have her dialed in and that Sierra BT should work exceedingly well for you this season and beyond.

I,living in this blasted condor range of CA, have had to become a Barnes and other lead free bullet connoisseur...

Running the 225 TSX in my .350RM right now. If you are ever in need of Barnes data let me know.

One thing I will say that I found is that with their homogeneous construction Barnes TSX and TTSX are EXCEEDINGLY accurate at extended range. I suspect that it is due to concentricity issues however minute with traditional jacket/core bullets. I have shot them quite a bit though and through several different rifles and this holds true across the board. .257WM to 550 yds. and the the .350 RM to 385yds. measured. Just a little info for you if you decide to experiment.

I wish the best of luck on your hunts this fall and look forward to the stories.

Thank for your well wishes and I hope there are some fun stories to write about.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I'm sure the little 35 will serve you well in all efforts.
    Yes, this little 35 I like to think of it as the Little Big Thumper and it will be fun to see what it does and how it does.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Forgot to mention that in November I will be going to Missouri for large White deer. Will hunt there for four days.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice shootin rifle BT. I doubt if your quarry will be wandering very far with a well placed shot.

Ohhh... I thought Missouri were brown???

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Nice shootin rifle BT. I doubt if your quarry will be wandering very far with a well placed shot.

Ohhh... I thought Missouri were brown???
    Now that is funny
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

An old buddy of mine has been a 358 Winny nut for years. He kills everything with it. He has one load for everything it's a 200 grain hard cast of his own design and it wears a gas check and makes holes in paper much like the ones you've shown.

He kills as many coyotes as the rest of us. On an ocassion about 20 years ago a local farmer gave me a call saying that he had just got done picking a very large corn field and that the coyotes had been running back and forth through it for the duration. With no more corn to hide in they had to be in a little 4 acre patch of timber that bordered the corn field. So I sat Butch in the fenceline a quarter mile north of the woods and then I drove around and parked on the south side of the woods and walked through it. I no more than started into this patch and I heard the 358 commense to roar. I heard him shoot all the shells it would hold and then he dumped another 6 rounds out of his model 10. He killed three coyotes with the 358 and the side arm was only used because, in Butches words "A couple of them was still wigglin".

I'd say ya got a keeper in that rig! When the season is done and over and you've made some memories with the old girl, she'll be a keeper for sure.

Goodluck on your hunts!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    An old buddy of mine has been a 358 Winny nut for years. He kills everything with it. He has one load for everything it's a 200 grain hard cast of his own design and it wears a gas check and makes holes in paper much like the ones you've shown.

He kills as many coyotes as the rest of us. On an ocassion about 20 years ago a local farmer gave me a call saying that he had just got done picking a very large corn field and that the coyotes had been running back and forth through it for the duration. With no more corn to hide in they had to be in a little 4 acre patch of timber that bordered the corn field. So I sat Butch in the fenceline a quarter mile north of the woods and then I drove around and parked on the south side of the woods and walked through it. I no more than started into this patch and I heard the 358 commense to roar. I heard him shoot all the shells it would hold and then he dumped another 6 rounds out of his model 10. He killed three coyotes with the 358 and the side arm was only used because, in Butches words "A couple of them was still wigglin".

I'd say ya got a keeper in that rig! When the season is done and over and you've made some memories with the old girl, she'll be a keeper for sure.

Goodluck on your hunts!
    Very interesting little account and thanks for the well wishes.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here is one nobody has asked about yet,not mine

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=61440

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post

A 3-round group....sure you weren't missin'?

I'm diggin the black rifle and the stainless bolt and handle...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    A 3-round group....sure you weren't missin'?

I'm diggin the black rifle and the stainless bolt and handle...
    You know, after I fired the second round I thought boy something is wrong or I really got lucky. Then I fired the third round and thought to myself, "NO WAY!!! - man what is wrong with my scope". So I got up and the first thing I grabbed was my calipers and went to see if it was an enlarged one hole group. I was sure hoping that it was because if not something was really wrong with my rifle, rings and mounts or my scope.

Fortunately it was an enlarged three shot hole.

Here are two groups, the top group was first then I adjusted my scope elevation and the bottom five shot group was the second fired.

This truly is an extremely consistent out of the box rifle and handload.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

IMR4895, IMR4064 and Varget work well with the 225gr bullet and Varget gave the highest velocities.

Here is my 300Wby which will be my back up if anything happens to my 358Win while climbing in those mountains on my first hunt.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

well......enough range chat.......go harvest an animal and post a pic of it already!

and burn some of that firewood that's all over ur yard......geeze!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    well......enough range chat.......go harvest an animal and post a pic of it already!

and burn some of that firewood that's all over ur yard......geeze!
    Can't fire place damaged in a storm.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

would make a mighty fine bbq/bonfire at your place.......all we have up here is some ratty ol beetle killed spruce to burn with a piece of birch here and there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast