Thread: Chikuminuk Lake

Default Chikuminuk Lake

I am going to Chikuminuk Lake Moose hunting this September, has anyone been there before and also did you see any black bears on the trip and any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

I haven't been there but have a couple buddies who have. They both saw black bears, one was guiding a moose hunt and didn't connect-he was guiding a 74 yr old guy though so? He was pretty much limited to hunting from camp. No motors allowed on the lake. The other was up before moose season saw and shot 1 caribou sae a few black bears on the hill sides. Who are you flying in with and how much are they charging?

KK

Default Good Luck

Just in case you didn't know, you have to have a permit to camp up there. I guess only 6 camps on the lake each season. We were up there last year. No black bears to speak of although they may be there. Caribou were more or less non-existent. We were told by the locals that the herd has been hit hard in the past few years and basically packed up and moved North. I believe it as we seen zero in 12 days. Good thing is that I understand you can now blast grizzly's starting 1 Sept vs. last year when it was 10 Sept.

Anyway good luck on your hunt. Make sure you are in moose packing shape up there. Everything comes out on the bone. We killed one 60+ bull a little over 2 miles from the lake and it nearly killed us packing that thing out with two frames on our backs. But makes for good stories after the fact.

Good luck

Default Chikuminuk

Griz, moose, black bear and maybe caribou.

It's been a number of years since I've hunted there. It's a large lake. Some areas are thick (alders).

Bring fishing rod and lures!

Have not heard of a limit on the number of camps. It's public land...

And, yes, packing a big bull a couple of miles back to the lake requires effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    I haven't been there but have a couple buddies who have. They both saw black bears, one was guiding a moose hunt and didn't connect-he was guiding a 74 yr old guy though so? He was pretty much limited to hunting from camp. No motors allowed on the lake. The other was up before moose season saw and shot 1 caribou sae a few black bears on the hill sides. Who are you flying in with and how much are they charging?

KK
    Rick Grant out of Dillingham, price is 1280.00 for a Beaver. Thank you for the imput.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Dustoff View Post
    Just in case you didn't know, you have to have a permit to camp up there. I guess only 6 camps on the lake each season. We were up there last year. No black bears to speak of although they may be there. Caribou were more or less non-existent. We were told by the locals that the herd has been hit hard in the past few years and basically packed up and moved North. I believe it as we seen zero in 12 days. Good thing is that I understand you can now blast grizzly's starting 1 Sept vs. last year when it was 10 Sept.

Anyway good luck on your hunt. Make sure you are in moose packing shape up there. Everything comes out on the bone. We killed one 60+ bull a little over 2 miles from the lake and it nearly killed us packing that thing out with two frames on our backs. But makes for good stories after the fact.

Good luck
    Thank you the reply, I do have one of the permits for the camping and hopefully am ready to pack. Thanks again.

John

Ricks one of the best IMO. Is that $1280RT? If so that seems like a real fair deal. Good luck.

KK

1280.00 per flight one way, that is about the best you will get for a premium experienced bush pilot who has mutiple aircraft to suit your needs and he also is a year round resident which means alot.