Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda 50/35 or Yamaha 40/30 JetDrive

Default Honda 50/35 or Yamaha 40/30 JetDrive

Putting a puddle jumper together and am trying to decide between the Honda 50/35 and the Yamaha 40/30. I have always wanted a Honda but the Yamaha is $1,845 cheaper. Other than the price and 5 hp what are the pro's and con's of each engine?

I'm going to be in the same boat (pun intended) at some point. I have read that the Yamaha 4s perfrom the best with jet pumps, more akin to a 2s. Having said that, i see Wooldridge hanging Hondas as well as Yammy's off their hulls.
    For what its worth, i have always been a Yamaha fan, and they are a bit less $$.

I owned a yami 50 then a honda 90 on the same boat. Now a yami 150 on a different boat. That was my 1st and last Honda. I was not impressed with the Honda at all. My boats get used in the saltwater and the Honda just does not have the corrosion protection that the Yami's do. Or my old 1985 Evinrude 25 did for that matter. After 20 years of saltwater use, the old Evinrude still looked new under the hood. My Yami 50 did as well after 5 years of constant saltwater use. My Honda after only one year looked like junk! I had a carb actually rust up and would not operate. I had to buy a new carb. The dealer would not warrenty it as it was "normal wear". Maybe normal for a honda? I had other issues as well, but that took the cake. I love my Yammi's. My 2 cents.

Any reason not to look at the yami 50 with a jet foot? yamis have the ability to easily swap lower units. last time i checked the hondas have a different gearing in the powerhead between jet and prop so there is no switching easily between the two. only 30 lbs +- heavier than the honda and a lot more balls. more displacement and an extra cylinder. also can upgrade to a 60 hp later if you want with an ecu swap on the yamaha...

An extra 30lbs with the extra cylinder might be too much for a 14' boat. I have no need for a prop so the cost in switching one over would be a waste. You can upgrade this, upgrade that, get a longer boat and before you know it you have a $40k flat bottom - oh wait I just sold one of those ;-)

Just trying to decide between the 50/35 and the 40/30 as they are the lightest 4 strokes out there. Little light weight boat for creek running is what I am after.

I am leaning towards the Yamaha right now as it is about 5lbs lighter in weight and $1845 lighter in price. The Yamaha has EFI where the Honda has three carbs. The Honda also has power tilt/trim so the engine will not kick up if it hits something which is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    An extra 30lbs with the extra cylinder might be too much for a 14' boat. I have no need for a prop so the cost in switching one over would be a waste. You can upgrade this, upgrade that, get a longer boat and before you know it you have a $40k flat bottom - oh wait I just sold one of those ;-)

Just trying to decide between the 50/35 and the 40/30 as they are the lightest 4 strokes out there. Little light weight boat for creek running is what I am after.

I am leaning towards the Yamaha right now as it is about 5lbs lighter in weight and $1845 lighter in price. The Yamaha has EFI where the Honda has three carbs. The Honda also has power tilt/trim so the engine will not kick up if it hits something which is bad.

An engine with power trim and tilt will still break away and flip up on a solid hit. I hit a log in the middle of PWS a few years back with my Honda 90. It came completly out of the water running wide open throttle at about 40mph. I thought the world had came to an end the way things sounded. Long story short, the engine was fine and the transom had a minor bow in it from the impact. I beleive all pt/t motors have this breakaway feature built into them. It takes a pretty good hit to get them to come up, but they do.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    An engine with power trim and tilt will still break away and flip up on a solid hit.
    I need it to flip up with minor hits as there will be many even with tunnel hull. I pulled on the Honda and it did not come up as where you can pull the Yamaha right up if it is released.

For the last couple of months I thought I wanted the Honda but now I might have talked myself out of.

I think you will be very happy with the Yami. The efi of the yami will be very sweet compared to the carbed Honda. Cold starts,fuel ecomony and maintaince. That alone would sell me. Then you add in the weight and price and it gets pretty clear which one to choose.

Default tahotsu?

anyone running one of the new tahotsus? i hear some good about them but not many out there yet. it sounds like they are comparable to the etech on power and fuel. my next will be a coin toss between the 50 yami and 50 tahotsu w/ jet unit.

Default Tohatsu

Happy with my 50/35 setup so far. Went w/ Tohatsu over the rest for price vs power and a Kenai legal 2s. On a 16' G3 will get 2.5 people (im a 285lber) up on-step in less than 5 sec, will top out at about 26 mph and can run approximately 25 mi. on a 5 gal tank. Solo I can almost squezz 30 mph out of it. Three guys a bit slower out of the hole but still does fine. Not sure how this stacks up against etec, yami. or others but after researching these same motors this spring and choosing the Tohatsu I'm happy so far. Maybe only have 60 or so hours (real) on it so far. Have'nt had a hard hit yet so I don't know about the t/t release yet. guess I should find out. Anyone know more?

Default honda

Honda is efi now also, they are both great. I have a 50 honda and am very happy with it.

@ Lineburns, what model G3 do you have?

Thanks, Sam

Have a buddy that has the 40 Yammi w/jet, that thing sips gas and runs consistantly great day after day, year after year. And this is on a 16x4 Lowe boat.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by rrjfish8 View Post
    Honda is efi now also, they are both great. I have a 50 honda and am very happy with it.
    The Honda 50 prop is EFI but the 50/35 Jet has three carbs according to what I read.

Have a Yamaha 60/40 jet tiller on an 18' G3 WSOF. Got it from Mike at the Boat Shop in FBKS. Love it. Pushes 4 guys fishing fine, not speedy, but the next HP up is a lot more weight. No experience with the Hondas, but the weight of the 50/35 turned me off, and the fact that most guides I know run Yamahas.

Default 50 hp shootout

Have you all read the article in Bass and Walleye Boat magazine (January 2009) here is the URL to view the PDF.
    http://www.bwbmag.com/images/element...pShootout_.pdf

Of course this has brought about a whole line of side discussions about validity etc. but is something else to put in the mix. Was looking for something like this article a few months ago when I was in the market for an outboard. Still fine w/ the choice made.

Good info here.

Thanks, Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
    No experience with the Hondas, but the weight of the 50/35 turned me off.
    The 50/35 Honda weighs 227lbs, the 40/30 Yamaha weighs 223lbs and the 60/40 Yamaha weighs 268lbs. What is wrong with 227lbs?

Quote Originally Posted by lineburns View Post
    Have you all read the article in Bass and Walleye Boat magazine (January 2009).
    I had about decided on the Yamaha but it sure didn't do very good in that shootout.

Default Hard not to go Yami

When you look around Yamis are King, so dang popular especially up here. I was pretty close to getting one,but bocked at the price of a 50 w/a jet. Wanted the 2 stroke hole shot but Kenai legal so almost had to buy the E-tec. All those motors did good pretty close to each other, a few decibles @WOT doesn't matter to me as much as economy, speed, and price. For these reasons I went w/ a less popular brand name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast