Thread: Mercury Sportjet 200 Optimax, intermittent no start

Default Mercury Sportjet 200 Optimax, intermittent no start

After a 25 mile trip, parked the boat at the launch to go get the trailer, backed the trailer in the water, get in the boat and it wont start. Fuel pump ran, didn't check for flow. Wouldn't fire or sputter or nothing, just crank. Messed with the key and kill switch, didn't help. Tried several times, no start.

Got boat back to town. Let it sit for a day, and went out to look at it. Fired right up on. Shut it off. Tried again it it would just crank. Let it sit for a min and then it fired right up.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Have never had a problem with this motor before. Always used to start almost instantly. Motor has about 280 hours on it.

Thanks

Had a problem like that with a 2-stroke outboard (newer merc) Turned out to be a blown engine...

I hope that would not be the case....That would be bad news.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

I'm no mechanic. I just took my Predator in with a 200 Optimax...I had trouble with the power cutting out intermittantly to my dash (key and all the toggles for blower, bilge, etc). Seemed like when I drove it to the lauch...no power. When I backed it in the driveway...power worked fine. I haven't picked it up yet so don't know what they found...but can let you know.

Lightbulb cdi box on that?

same trouble i had on a 2 cycle mec outboard...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

I had the same problem with my '08 Predator last season and it has only happened once so far this year. It seems like a fuel delivery problem on mine. If I keep cranking it for a couple minutes, eventually it will fire. Seems to be worse the colder out it is. Took it in to Compeau's three times now and they haven't been able to find the problem.

When you find out the problem let me know please I have a 09 SJX just in case I have the same issues.

I have a Merc 175 sport jet with 330 hrs on it and I had this problem once last year and 4 or 5 times this year, it almost left me stranded in the middle of no were. Now what I do is, after turning off the engine I put the throttle in full FWD possision this leaves the Carborater butterflies in the open possition and it gets more air into the carb. One of the Mech at SEA AND SKI told me I need to run my air vent more. Before start, during engine operation and after shutdown. I'll try this next time im out and see if it works. good luck

By running your air vent more....do you mean the blower?

Lets us know what you come with up with this problem. Be a good thing to know.

Just an update, I havn't really looked into finding the cause of the problem. It started fine half a dozen times at home. No codes are present on the smartcraft.

I used to have a list of the codes, but have lost it. Anybody else still have it?

Thanks

had the same problem with mine twice. main power relay was shorting out. think they're less than thirty bucks. i carry a spare now.

The shop called today, and said it was the main power relay.

Thanks for the information if it ever happens to me that will be the first thing I check

Thanks for the info. If it happens on mine again I'll take it in and have them check it. My boat has been in 3 times now for this problem and they still can't get it figured out, but I don't think they looked at the relay.

Typically when a FI engine will not start after a hot soak, the culprit is the crank shaft position sensor. I do not know for a fact that your Merc uses that sensor in particular. What it does is tell the computer the position of the piston stroke then uses the data to trigger the fuel injector and ignition, likely there is a control module involved as well. It is basic in explanation of a fuel injected system.

If you have a manual and the aptitude you may want to look at a schematic for a crank sensor. It would be my first suspect. If not inclined to tackle this then a repair facility is where it needs to go.

Ok never mind, I just read after posting that it has been resolved, glad it is squared away.