Thread: Light jigs that hold in strong current?

Default Light jigs that hold in strong current?

Hey guys,

Ive been reading up on all types of jigs recently because Im gonna do a whole lot of bottom fishing next year.

Im seeing all these jigs like butterfly jigs, and diamond jigs or lucanus jigs and I seem to be reading a few posts and articles about certain jigs that hold in strong current a lot better than others.

Does this make any sense?

Some reviews were claiming that a 3.5oz lucanus jig would hold in 200+ feet of water where other were fishing 10oz. Or something like that.

Someone else on ebay is selling 6oz squid-like jigs that he claims would hold just as well as 16oz jigs.

Does this make any sense to some of you? I dont really understand how this would work. Maybe it cuts the water better?

I use 3-4 oz. P-Line laser minnow jigs for Halibut and rockfish and seem to get down there as well as bait with 16 oz. of lead...I rarely fish over 120' though.

I doubt if there is any magic in a jigs shape. 6 ounces is still 6 ounces. Your line type and diameter is more important than jig style in my opinion. You will have better luck hugging the bottom with braided lines and the thinner the better.
    Tides going the opposite of the wind always make for interesting days when bottom fishing.

Sounds like BS to me. I use most style of jigs, leadheads, butterfly style, diamond jigs, spinnows, and I'm likely forgetting some others. I've got from 3 oz to 24 oz, but mostly use 9-16 oz.

When the tide starts moving, you need more weight to get down, no two ways about it. I use 50, 65 and 80# braid and haven't seen a huge difference in the thinner line needing less weight to stay down then the heavier lines. I'd thought by going to 50# line I'd be able to use lighter jigs, but it just hasn't really worked out that way.

I will agree that some of the slender butterfly style jigs do seem to drop faster than say a lead head with a big grub tail. As to which jigs catch better than the others. That's a crap shoot. I took some nice lings and rock fish on butterfly style jigs last year, but then lost those jigs to the rocks and the ones I've tried this year haven't been as hot, but I think thats more location than jig style. A 16 oz leadhead with a white gulp grub tail is a pretty good all around jig. Enough weight so you don't have to worry about the tide picking you up so you can't hold bottom, and lings just seem to love those white grubs.

I just was out fishing with friends and we set the same lures down. The part that surprised me was one would not reach the bottom in 120 feet of water due to current. The one that made it was the thinner spider line. I was really surprised at the difference the diameter of the fishing line made. I think the line is as important as the lure.

The biggest contributing factor is in the size/surface area of the bait and the already mentioned line diameter vs. current...I use both bait, big grubs and small vertical jigs and hands down without the BS the vertical jigs will hold bottom better than something the same weight with more mass...6 oz. is not just 6oz. when in the water and with other material variance.

BTW, I fish 14-17lb. mono for the most part...even for halibut unless I know for a fact that I`m in a big fish zone, in that case I switch to 65# spool of braid and run larger baits and more weight.

Im almost positive that I will be using braid so that helps.

Im guessing that if the line diameter makes a difference, the way the jig cuts through the water might make a difference as well. Im just curious to know how much of a difference.

Ive fished with thin jigs (buzz bombs, knife jigs etc) in the past but never noticed if they hold bottom better. I'll pay more attention next time I guess.

Besides the thinner diameter line, use your kicker to keep up with the jig in the current. No point in dropping a light jig at anchor, as anchoring is all about scent and you can drop the heavier spreaders loaded with bait at anchor. Back bounce those jigs in the current.....