Thread: 45 LC, 44 mag, or 454 Casull?

Default 45 LC, 44 mag, or 454 Casull?

So lets say for interest's sake that I was looking at buying a levergun in one of these calibers. What are the pros and cons, and what are some of the handloading limitations of each?

I've heard conflicting info on how hot the 45 LC can be loaded. Some say not much at all, and some say up to 30,000 cup in a strong action. I've also heard that the 44 mag and 454 Casull are naturally much stronger cartridges. What's your experience, and which would you recommend?

At this point, I'm looking at the Rossi/Puma, but am open to suggestions, as long as the rifle is available with a long, octagonal barrel. I love the way those look!

Thanks.

454 hands down. Shoot 45 cowboy loads for plinking, 45LC heavy loads for practice and full-out 454 for anything that matters. I know you can shoot 44 Specials through the 44 Mag but honestly, they're getting few and far between, and they aren't cheap when you can find 'em! As far as reloading, there are very few differences in how you would reload the cartridges, and components are readily available for each. A very hot loaded 45LC will be close to a hot 44 Mag but the 454 is twice the cartridge the 44 Mag is, and offers a considerably greater range of well-constructed bullets even though most would likely just choose hard cast lead.

I would go with the 454/45 gun. Of course if you have a 44mag pistol then the 44 rifle makes sence. What you can do with the 45colt is in the reloading books and they say it will equal the 44mag

Get the 454 and you have a 45 also, not even in the same liege as a 44.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default +1 454

for all the reasons already listed.