Thread: Fortymile Caribou

Talking Fortymile Caribou

Early bird catches the bou........
    Was up on the Taylor highway, quite a way past Chicken, hunting alone without an ATV. Scouted for two days and saw lots of nice bulls. The area filled up with hunters over the weekend and made me feel at a definite disadvantage. Got up early all days. Up at 0230 Monday, and in the field to my vantage point at 0400, about a 1/2 mile in. Didn't hear anyone up and moving around about the area. Saw two bou at 0415. Heard a shot off in the distance about then. Then at 0530, had two moving along about 200yds below my perch. Shot the last one in line once and he just stood there, shot again and he walked away. Hmmmmm. I started to lose sight of him so went down the hill with pack and rifle. Found him standing next to a tree, swaying. Shot him in the neck. Neighbors told me no hunters were moving around until 0515, when someone saw eight bou walk through MY CAMP. They obviously made the 1/2 mile mosey to my perch. Didn't see any others shot in the area until I left at 1300. Two neighbors with four wheelers offered to help me bring the rest of the meat and head out after they saw me packing on my own. Very decent of them. Since I'm not so young any longer, I certainly couldn't turn down the help. Thanks to them............Hope they were successful and safe.
    Met a lot of very nice people.

Mike
    Last edited by Sterlingmike; 08-11-2009 at 17:18. Reason: add photo

Red face Photo

Tried three times to add the photo. Oh, well. It was a nice one. No double shovel, but very nice bull. Photo downloaded each time but didn't attach to the note.

M

good job!

According to the hot line the early bird statement is right in more ways than one - hunt is supposed to close wednesday (8/12 - yes tomorrow) at 2359.

(zone 1 and 3...although I'm not sure what the zones are. Hot line says the zone map is on the website but I can't find it. SNAFU for that website! there's not even an EO out yet...)

Way to go Mike! Nice to see someone gettin out there and getting it done sans plane, boat, or ATV....helps remind us that a little get-up-and-go is all we need! Congrats on a well earned bou.

Default Agree with the early bird

My dad and I were out the door before 4 am, hiked back for a couple hours. 30 minutes later I had my bull, two hours later he had his. Great trip for both of us.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Another photo try

I looked up the directions this time. Hope it works.

M
    Last edited by Sterlingmike; 08-11-2009 at 22:29. Reason: trying for photo

My hunt lasted about 2 minutes. I walked out of my tent and a caribou was standing there at about 75 yards. Bang, hunt over...Then I got to wait for the rest of the day for my two buddies to tag out. I had a great time up there.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Caribou Habitat

Is anyone willing to give me some pointers on the habitats of the caribou in this area? I've recently spent some time off the Steese not far from Central looking to at least spot some caribou but alas no cigar. I am just hoping anyone can offer some insight: such as to where they like to linger? High elevation? Low elevation? Do they stick near water sources? I assume they are very human-shy...

I hunted around the Mastadon dome area (all on foot, maybe my first major mistake) and saw plenty of success with others but didn't even spot a caribou myself. In this area do they stick to the low lands and heavy brush? Do they walk in the clearings?

These are just a few of the things I could use help with. Any advice or assistance would be invaluable. Thanks in advance and good hunting.

Will

My hunt lasted about 2 minutes also. Got out of the tent at 4, saw two bulls standing across the trail from our wheelers, blam blam, my dad and i were done.

Default What a trip!

Long float with little water, painted a lot of rocks green!

...They are usually high on the ridges and moving. Need good binos to spot since are sometimes hard to spot and blend in with surroundings unless moving quickly. Weather is also a factor there ... fog/rain moves in quickly to foul visibility.

Default Bears and caribous piles

I posted this on a different thread but it's probably equally pertinent to this post.

I'm thinking that after all the successful kills of caribou in the area that bears are rampant on the gut piles. Is anyone able to confirm this by chance? Also has anyone spotted black bears in the area? Griz are probably all over the piles but it's obviously not Griz season in the area so I'll have to avoid those. If anyone can confirm black bear sign or sightings in the area I'd appreciate it and will probably head up there in search of whatever blackies might have wandered into the area.

Quote Originally Posted by lilhavoc18 View Post
    I'm thinking that after all the successful kills of caribou in the area that bears are rampant on the gut piles. Is anyone able to confirm this by chance? Also has anyone spotted black bears in the area? Griz are probably all over the piles but it's obviously not Griz season in the area so I'll have to avoid those. If anyone can confirm black bear sign or sightings in the area I'd appreciate it and will probably head up there in search of whatever blackies might have wandered into the area.
    I have seen more wolf evidence than bear on chicken ridge.

Default Wolves

I saw a wolf as we were leaving on Wensday, but I could not get my gun fast enough.

Nice pics!!

Default Chicken Ridge

Short story - my nephew from Fairbanks got his first caribou (a cow) on Wednesday afternoon but off the Steese.

Long story - after a trip to the emergency room toconfirm that there was nothing serious (just darn sore) from my launching a borrowed wheeler off the trailer on to a blacktop driveway (OUCH) Dave & I headed toward toward Chicken Ridge. We didn't ride as far as we might have and set up camp LATE. Monday morning we were still snuggled in our sleeping bags when someone shot a bull just across the ridge. Tuesday it was snowy & foggy so we headed back to Fairbanks - wet & cold.

Wednesday we headed up the Steese Highway and found 2 VERY helpful & successful hunters. We followed their directions and Dave shot a nice cow caribou (his first). All I saw were cows & calves so (as a non-res) I couldn't shoot. Still, when Dave's caribou dropped, I couldn't have been happier.

Evidently it really was "the early bird gets the 'bou". Surprise - our last hunt hunt was 7 years ago and 4 days into the season (this year the season was only 3 days long) and there were LOTS more hunters than I remember. However, I didn't experience any of the horror storys one hears about. Just too many hunters.

When I get home I'll post some pictures. This is coming from Fairbank and later today I'm headed for 2 weeks in Kodiak so my next posts will probably be from there.
    Last edited by Phil; 08-15-2009 at 09:48. Reason: poor typing skills