Thread: Coldfoot snow

Default Coldfoot snow

anyone have info on how much snow dropped between Coldfoot and the pass, we are to fly out for our sheep hunt Thursday and worried that the mountains are covered

Default Snow

FAA Weather cams show only a trace at the pass.

Default atigun

4 inches north of pass less on the south side. I just drove it last night. Lots of traffic though. Hillbilly

Default snow

how about closer to coldfoot, any snow around there

Default snow

whats the snow like just north of coldfoot

You can check out the Chandlar Shelf, north of Coldfoot on the FAA weathercam here:
    http://akweathercams.faa.gov/viewsite.php
    There is a bit higher up, but most of the new snow on the lower elevations is gone...Louis
    Louis Knapp

Default akhunter

who you flying with? I was suppose to fly with alaska air taxi but we sat in prudoe for 2 days and finally gave up and went with plan D. Several other groups gave up too.If it melts you are good but if it stays the way it was or deeper I was told no fly. Our pilot said no snow on strip to land so we bailed. Im heading out to meeet my brother in the morning to try and salvage this season. Hillbilly

Default Snow

we are scheduled to fly with BRA on Thursday. we are getting dropped on a high lake, we are worried about snow and the lake possible freezing before pickup. Looks like the weather will turn bad Sat and rain is scheduled till at least Tuesday

Default freezing

None of the water around the pass was frozen. the snow was really wet and most has probably melted. We could have waited a few more days but i sat there for 3 days last year and 2 this time so Ive had enough.

Default weather cams

As for the wether cams i us those too but the chandalar cam isnt showing what is happening north of the pass. Hillbilly

I just drove through the pass about 6 hours ago. There is about 3 inches of snow on the north side of the pass. NO snow at all on the south side. The weather is not getting any better up there. I gave up the waiting game for a flight in. Had I brought my raft I would have flown in. Too much of a chance of getting stuck out there.

Hillbilly,

I'm scheduled to fly with the same outfit in two weeks. I'm curious, where did you stay while waiting to fly? It could get pricey if you had to bunk at a cat camp for several days.

Don Mulligan

Default weather

My charter service just contacted me and said they recommend us changing our plans do to snow and weather, thier pilots that came back from the eastern Brooks said lots of snow, low temps, winter is here to stay. So another groupe bits the dust

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    anyone have info on how much snow dropped between Coldfoot and the pass, we are to fly out for our sheep hunt Thursday and worried that the mountains are covered
    There wasn't any snow in Coldfoot yesterday Dean, but Atigun got 3-4". Most of the snow is on the north side of the mountains. Temp was about 45 degrees in Coldfoot. I bet the sheep hunters that went out opening morning were COLD. Good luck on your hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    My charter service just contacted me and said they recommend us changing our plans do to snow and weather, thier pilots that came back from the eastern Brooks said lots of snow, low temps, winter is here to stay. So another groupe bits the dust
    Oh no!!! Can they get you in somewhere else?

Default who where you flying with

who where you flying with?
    thanks

Default Sheep hunt

We were flying with BRA, Im sure if we pushed it they would take us in, but it was their recommendation that we scrap it and go to plan B. which is a moose float hunt. With the Temps and weather forecast for that area we would need to be concerned about our lake starting to freeze before our take out. We are goin to head north and look at an area to walk into, if that doesnt pan out then up to the slope to chase bou