Thread: How far will the moose run?

Default How far will the moose run?

For you all that have moose kills with a bow, how far has the moose gone from point of impact? This is pertaining to a good kill shot being made.

Also how long will you wait to track down the animal?

Congrats to bull kill last night.

George

27 yards with 2 arrows both in the lungs.

Neither of my bulls have gone more then 50 yards.

Neither of my clients bulls have gone farther then that either.

Just my experience..your mileage may vary!

All under 50.

Taylor

-[]------->

Default Two for two

Two moose, both somewhere between 20 and 50 yards with one arrow in each. One elk also that was about 30 yards with a single arrow.

I think I waited somewhere around 20 minutes to be safe. In all three cases, I could still see the animal laying down from where I took the initial shot, so I just waited until I could see the head laying on the ground for a reasonable time with no other movement visible. Still stalked it as if it was fully alive so I wouldn't spook it if it was still alive.

80, and 50 for mine
    freinds when i have been there- 80,15,40(then pushed too early went 1/4 mile)100,
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Good info guys thanks, just wondering.

George

Default Not far

Ours were young bulls, so not sure if that makes a difference or not. My moose went only 18-20 yrds. I got liver and both lungs and a qtring away shot. My uncles moose went about 55 yrds.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

One arrow thru both lungs and the heart, she went 20 yards and fell over dead. Easy to track because it was in the winter.

Hi George,

Still pretty limited experience here, but of two forks, the first went about 35 yards and laid down- double lung; died about 10 minutes later.

Found one this morning and made a terrible shot. Arrow found a twig that I was hoping it would miss- ended up passing through just forward of the rear quarters, about a third of the way down from the back. He went less than 50 yards and laid down. I knew by the sound it was a paunch hit, so I didn't even scout for my arrow. Marked the spot he went in, looked for blood where he stood, then hoofed it for home. Waited 6 hours, and found him about 7 1/2 hours after the shot. He was still alive, laying down looking at the back trail, but he was out of juice and couldnt' get up.

I grunt at them after the shot- just a tending grunt for the little guys, and maybe that slows them down; I dunno for sure, but it makes me feel good

Hey Steve,
    Good on ya for the moose this season. Save me a feemer bone like the bear if you would, thanks. Hope all is going well, and the silver season has boosted the traffic. See ya in Oct.

George

thanks, George. Silver season has been good. Hope yours has been the same! Looking forward to getting together with you and the boys on Tuesdays again. Do you have a mondo bull near you with your name on it yet?

Nothing with my name on it, just hoping a small one will swim out to meet me...

I shot a 47" bull on the 10th of August. Shot him at 11 yards one arrow in the lungs and he ran about 20 yards, watched him fall and he was dead in 20 minutes. I did grunt at him right after the shot and he stopped and looked then fell.

I just got my first archery moose. I shot him at 46 yards and when I released he took a step and I hit him right behind the last rib, luckily I hit the liver and he went about 80 yards and died within 10 minutes of me shooting him. Blood everywhere. Didn't get a pass through either.

Default Less than 50 yrds

Downhill. I was with Frogman for his last year. Still waiting on mine.

Default -50

Always double lung, not more than 50 yards. usually dont wait at all because I watch them fall.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Default Moose Bow Kill

I got my first moose with a bow this morning. 30 yd shot, double lung, 15 yd slow walk...done

my first one was a double lung pass through at 20ish yards. It went over a 100 yards some how. Winter time. Blood was everywhere, up the side of trees, all over the snow. It was a cow and there ended up being a small in the area. Not sure if she tried to follow him or what.

My moose this past december was a liver shot, pass through also and didn't even go 10 yards. Just stood there and bled out and then layed down, stuck her one more time from the back out the chest. Felt bad watching her twitch.

Some just don't know that they are dead I guess. Watch the shot. Give them time. Start to push and they will/can go miles.

Default 30 feet

Last year my double lunged cow ran 30 feet and piled up. The lung shot is the most deadly shot I know of for an archer.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012