Thread: Mat-Su August 7-9

Default Mat-Su August 7-9

The Salmon Slayer and I hit the valley last weekend to see what we can find, here is the report:

Montana Creek-Tons and Tons of pinks, alot of incidental hook-ups. It would be a great place to teach a child how to fish with how many pinks are in there. We did manage some nice Chums out of there, man what a hoot on a 7weight.

Sunshine Creek-pretty slow, silvers are in there, but they are kinda lethargic. We caught our limits on Saturday in about 4 hours, it was mid-day when we went there, I had heard they were doing pretty good early in the morning. Went again Sunday morning on my way back to Fairbanks and they were catching pretty good on roe Sunday morning, I managed one on my very first cast with a vibrex spinner.

Sheep Creek Slough-We went there for about 5 hours Saturday morning, found quite a few people chucking hardware and soaking roe. Saw alot of foul-hooked pink salmon caught, as well as some pretty huge chums. Most people were catching fish on spinners, a few with pixies. We did see one silver caught out of there, but thats it. There was probably about 20 people fishing that morning.

Sheep Creek- Fished there for about 1 hour after the slough and TSS managed to catch a nice chum on his first cast up there. He was chucking hardware, I was using a fly rod and caught a few pinks. I could see what appeared to be a pod of about 3-5 silvers from the pedestrian bridge, but Sheep Creek was still kind of silty, which made visibility kind of difficult. Here are a few photos from the trip:

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default As Always..

Nice work guys. Looks like you two never have a bad fishing trip.

Very nice. Great pics, fish and info. I'll be utilizing that info this coming weekend! Thanks.

we were fishing sunshine saturday morning, saturday evening (which was pretty hot) and sunday morning, musta just missed you guys or i guess i was too hungover to recognize ya. we were the party fishing downstream from the mouth at the edge of the clearwater....you know, the ones catching all the fish! seriously though, sunday morning was hot with roe and vibraxes, lots of silvers movin thru...at the mouth of the creek there was a huge BURBOT head on the bank...wonder what they got that on? we managed a few decent burbs ourselves. itll be even better next weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    we were fishing sunshine saturday morning, saturday evening (which was pretty hot) and sunday morning, musta just missed you guys or i guess i was too hungover to recognize ya. we were the party fishing downstream from the mouth at the edge of the clearwater....you know, the ones catching all the fish! seriously though, sunday morning was hot with roe and vibraxes, lots of silvers movin thru...at the mouth of the creek there was a huge BURBOT head on the bank...wonder what they got that on? we managed a few decent burbs ourselves. itll be even better next weekend
    haha...yeah it was much better in the morning then the afternoons, I should have gotten up earlier if I knew the bite was going to be on like that...I seen that burbot head also, there was a couple of guys that said they caught a burbot where that small side slough dumps into the Big Su. Yeah I caught one fish on the first cast with a big vibrax, and then nothing for about 1 hour after that. Casting those vibraxes into the silty water and reeling back into the clear kicked ASS! Its awesome to watch them come up and hit that thing...The guys soaking roe were hammering them, I'm sure if I stayed a little longer I could have caught another, but I didn't want the silvers I caught the day before to thaw out on the ride home... I think we got enough raw video to make a video of our trip, we'll probably make one next week...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/