Thread: Ivishak River boat access

Default Ivishak River boat access

It sound like the mile 50 launch into the Sag is the most popular launch to access the Ivishak River. Is this a hard place to find or is it right off the road?

very easy to find "mile 50" (actually i think it is 49.9 by sign at the road)
    ? 7-8 miles north of pump station #2. usually big pile of gravel there and man made pond from gravel removed.
    usually plenty of vehicles there and some camps and tents.
    really is only launch for Ivishak, only legal one any way. probably the reason for it's popularity other launch is ice cut ???? 50 miles further south...would be a long run, some rapids and the north of happy valley river braids out alot.
    as you have probably read water is very low this year, so unless you are running air boat there can be issues. not bad idea to have way to get boat off trailer with it not in water i have had to use a high lift jack for my jet boat last 2-3 years to get it off my trailer usually 4-5 inches above water. the launch is just a gravel bar and gravel can be soft.
    Jerod will be there tomorrow launching a boat so we should have report on depth and water condition to the main channel, thursday with any luck.
    I'm sure it will be an interesting run this year for the jet boaters.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

You can also launch into the Sag about 10 miles or so from Deadhorse but it would be a much longer trip to the Ivishak.

Default Thanks for the information....

It sounds like the water may need to come up before I drive all that way to see if it is runable. Can you drive a vehicle to the main channel anywhere near the 50 mile area?

Quote Originally Posted by granto View Post
    Can you drive a vehicle to the main channel anywhere near the 50 mile area?
    No you can't even get close.

Crumm, don't recall where the 10 mile launch could be i will have to look for it.
    is it close enough to road to be legal or is just a spot people use anyway like the 45.5 spot.
    at mile 50 it would be a long way to the main channel and if you went out to it i think you would be looking for a ticket. if you were going to do that i think you would be better to go to the 45.5 spot
    hopefully Jerod will have good news for us after he gets back. I'm not very optimistic though.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

They got the boat launched, but the drive up cracked the transom of the boat, so they loaded it up, came to town and decided to head back to Fairbanks. Nice long round trip all for nothing.

Water level is super low, caribou are super slim. Other hunters said in 4 days they saw one bull up there and got it. Maybe later will be better??? We can only hope.

Default Water level comparisons

JEROD- SORRY HEAR ABOUT THEIR BOAT PROBLEMS.( OR WAS THAT YOUR BOAT?????)
    i wonder if the boat launch channel has changed
    gauge level at PS #3
    today- 15.75 (WAS UP TO 16 FEW DAYS AGO)
    8-12-08- 15.88
    8-12-07 15.82
    8-12-06 16.29
    8-12-02 15.79
    NOT REALLY ANY SIGNIFICANT CHANGE FROM LAST TWO YEARS AND I'VE BEEN THERE WHEN LOWER.
    8-31 ....... 02-14.19 06-15.55 07-15.18 08-14.96
    08 I WAS JUST BARELY TOUCHING ON A FEW SPOTS IN THE FIRST MILE TO MAIN CHANNEL WHEN WE LEFT BUT IT WAS DROPPING DAILY.

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    Crumm, don't recall where the 10 mile launch could be i will have to look for it.
    Is it close enough to road to be legal.
    Somewhere around 10 miles or less. I will look tonight and get the exact mile marker. The sag is only about 100' from the road, people camp there all the time. It is gravel between the road and water so it must be legal.

You can also launch off the end of the Deadhorse runway. When the road turns left around the end of the runway go straight less than 1/16 of a mile, there is a gravel road down to the water.

thanx Crumm i will look for your next note and take a look at those areas when i head up the road.

Pat, that wasn't my boat, it was a friend of a friends. They had a 40 horse mounted on the back of the transom on the drive up and the weight took its toll. They checked on it on the drive south and decided to take the motor off since the cracks were getting worse.

It looked like the 50 mile channel was the same, just thin.

I think I know which launch Crumm is talking about. It is just north of the pipeline crossing around 15 miles south of the stop sign in Deadhorse. I'm not sure you could launch a heavy riverboat there, but I have launched the inflatable with 35 horse and drove upriver a ways and cut over to the main east channel. You get right up on (and under) the bluffs over there, and you really can see how big of a river the Sag is over there. I've launced the inflatable just east of the air strip as well but that is some soft gravel. I'd be worried about launching a trailered boat from there as well.

I paid a little more attention tonight. The pipe crossing that is about 17 miles out of Deadhorse will get you to the river but the bank looks too steep for a good launch. MP 403 which is 10 miles out of Deadhorse doesn't look too bad. MP 407 6 miles out of Deadhorse looks real good. Like Jerod said the gravel is a little deep at the east end of the runway but I don't think it is much worse than the 50 mile launch. Problem with all these spot is that they are probably 50 - 60+ river miles from the 50 mile launch so it would really add to the gas bill on the river let alone all the extra time. The road is fairly straight from 50 mile to 10 mile so that 40 miles would have to be 60 miles of winding river..

Wink

For launching is loose gravel or steep banks, I always have an eight foot long stinger that is made out of two inch square tubing. It has a hole drilled in one end and a receiver welded on the other end. It is stored under the boat trailer frame and comes out when needed. You can launch in some really bad places using it. You could make it longer is you beef it up some. I know one guy that uses one about twelve feet long, but he had to double it up for the flex and weight of his boat.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

thanx for additonal info guys as we took off from Deadhorse yesterday saw and got pix of area near end of runway looked like 1-2 vehicles near there. BUT WOW IS IT EVER BRAIDED THERE, WOULD BE EASY TO PICK WRONG CHANNEL from what could see but that is high up may not be so bad when you are in the river.

near end of runway

? area just north of the pipline crossing

Pat, from your first picture, I have launched at the sharp 90 degree corner. You can drive down to the river, but it is very soft there.

The launch at 16 mile is just north of the pipeline crossing. There is a gas house on the west side of the road at the crossing. Pretty easy to find if you are looking for it. There are actually two roads that you can launch at, but the river is much closer on the southern one and there is no room to turn around with a trailer on either of them. They are not condusive to launching, and will be nearly impossible to load a boat back up, especially on low water years. The bank drop off is usually 2 feet or more there where you would have to back a trailer in.

The only other spot I know of is 30 mile, but you would have to drive way out on the gravel to launch. Same legality issue as 46 mile.