Thread: Enquiring minds want to know!

Question Enquiring minds want to know!

Mr. Strahan, on the old forum you posted a nice review of the various features this new forum makes available. In that post you continually used the word, "we". From reading that post, it would appear that you are an owner/employee/computer guru..........or something more than the rest of us.
    I know how you like to be up front and honest about which entities you are, and are not, involved with, so I thought I would give you the opportunity to come clean on this one.
    Maybe the use of the word, "we" was just an oversight on your part, eh?
    mt

I hate to have my first post be on something like this. But once again MT gets right to the point. (I'm a 1st time poster Long time lurker)

Default We...

Let me clear this up, gentlemen.

I consult with a number of people on the management of OutdoorsDirectory.com You, MT, are one of those, and you provided quite a bit of good input last fall in a focus group discussion about the future of the website. This new forum is an outgrowth of that discussion. Other projects that we have discussed may well grow out of that as well.

Mike Strahan is my friend and a business ally. We talk a lot about a wide range of issues, most recently this new forum. I listen to his counsel; he listens to mine.

That said, as I read through the use of "we" in Mike's post my understanding was that he was using the word to refer to himself as a member of the community.

Many people have commented over the years on OutdoorsDirectory.com and I am grateful for it all. If people want to write "we" to show they are part of this community, I'm okay with that. I may be the owner, but the relationship is "symbiotic" in that the community would not exist without the members.

Default links

I like the way this forum can link to other sites. You know, like when using big words us unedjumacated people don't understand.

Default "We"? Oui!

MT,

David hit the nail on the head. WE have seen a lot of improvements on this site, and as a result WE have moved forward considerably with this upgrade. WE, for the most part, are beneficiaries of the changes WE have made through OUR collective input as members of this community.

Was there a particular feature you wanted more information about? Perhaps WE can help you.

-Mike

Do posts still get censored like on that last site? If so, then it ain't that big of an improvement.

Default Very few

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Do posts still get censored like on that last site? If so, then it ain't that big of an improvement.
    Almost zero posts that abide by the forum rules are censored.

Default Forum Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Matt,

There are many places on the net where you can read just about anything you want, and say anything you want, about anyone you want. This place is unique in that it demands respect and civility. Some find that intolerable and are welcome to post in those other places.

On the other hand, I have always allowed folks to email me with their personal concerns directed at me (that might be prohibited by forum rules), and a few folks have participated on that level. Most of them have an honest question and we've been able to work things out.

-Mike

Thumbs down sure make's one wonder

"our discretion" ..... Somehow the use of "our" in Mr. Strahan's above response does not sound (at least to me) like he is talking about the Alaska hunting/fishing community in general but rather the personal "our". Just my personal opinion/observation after reading the posted response.

Default Clarity

Folks, My apologies if my choice of words raised some hackles. That wasn't the intention. We are a community; I'm excited about the changes and want to see it move forward, that's all.

I have been in direct contact with David every day since the switchover, so while I am certainly not an owner of this site, he has allowed me to participate in making this work better for all of us. So "WE" includes all of us.

I'm sure some of you have noticed that I've posted a lot more than usual over the weekend too. This was intentional, as an attempt to encourage folks to move into the new place. Not trying to dominate anything here, just trying to help reduce the load on the system. This is what was slowing us down before, and was one of the reasons for the switchover. By getting folks off the old place and into the new, it seems to be working a LOT better.

So... I'm sure I'll keep posting, but now that most folks have made the switch, I'll be kicking it down a notch or three. Sorry if this has caused problems for anyone out there.

-Mike

Mike, I caution you in using the word "unique", when describing this forum. So far this new forum has looked to be a vast improvement over the old. However, I can tell you with great certainity that nothing here is unique. That includes the rules of respect and civility. All of the features found here, and the rules the webmaster has set are commen in other forums.
    And just so you don't take too much credit.........I want to point out that "we" includes me, as David pointed out in his first response. I'm taking as full a share of credit for this nerw forum as you are..........nyea, nyea!

Default Sheesh!

MT,

This whole thread really serves no purpose except to do what? What exactly is your point?

This is a hunting forum. Please send your personal gripes about my choice of words, along with your "inquiring mind" that just "wants to know" to my email address where we can explore all the fine nuances without boring these good folks who just want hunting information.

I'm done with this.

-Mike

Default What's the problem

Who would care even if he was affiliated with the site?
    He adds more info than most on this site and is very entitled to address us as one of the community here.
    I don't post nearly as much as Mike and I would certainly address someone with a question of the forum by saying something like "If you can give us more information we can probably help you out"
    Not a big deal.
    Justin