Thread: Flies?

Default Flies?

What time should i stop using beads and switch to flies???

I am thinking maybe using some black ants or leaches.

I am fishing for dollies and trout btw...

-Zach

whenever you aren't catching fish on beads
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Well don't they stop biting beads after most of the salmon are gone??

Keep one thing in mind, the salmon will die, but the eggs will remain. They do change colors of course, so some different colors, faded, washed out, etc... would be in order. Some local fly shops should have some good info specific to your area on this. A big thing in salmon streams is flesh flies of course. As late season comes, don't forget to start throwing flesh. Same as the beads, as time goes by, the lighter colors will replaces the orange/pink/etc... early season flesh flies. I would be fishing beads and flesh flies together heading into this time. When the preference of the trout shifts, you will be well aware of it. This should keep you busy well into Oct on any salmon stream.

Check out all the colors of beads...

http://www.troutbeads.com/Products.html

Good article (and place to buy flies/beads from)....

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...ked-Truth.html

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Theone2 View Post
    Well don't they stop biting beads after most of the salmon are gone??
    sometimes, they also stop biting beads when there are too many salmon eggs... Sometimes they just like to eat big orange things, sometimes they will hit anything, some times they won't. Thats why most folks carry a bunch of flies in their boxes

the funny thing is, the odd fly in the box is the one that catches the most, and usually biggest fish of the trip. Learned it at clear creek years ago...we were fishing smolt patterns when I swtiched to some green gawd awful streamer...first swing wamo, just over 10lb rainbow, caught us all by suprise!!! I'm a sucker for a goofy looking/tied fly! now if I could only keep from dumping by fly box in the parking lots, man getting old sucks LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    the funny thing is, the odd fly in the box is the one that catches the most, and usually biggest fish of the trip.!
    That is for sure man. Did a float on the Goodnews for silvers in Aug '07 and took every gaudy pink fly you could think of. Bluebird days and clear water got some lockjaw going, especially around mid day. Of all the flies (hundreds) we took, it was a lowly olive and black woolly bugger that got the silvers biting. Go figure.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    That is for sure man. Did a float on the Goodnews for silvers in Aug '07 and took every gaudy pink fly you could think of. Bluebird days and clear water got some lockjaw going, especially around mid day. Of all the flies (hundreds) we took, it was a lowly olive and black woolly bugger that got the silvers biting. Go figure.
    You know as well as I do, dan, there's nothing lowly about an olive/black woolly bugger.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default I am a slow learner...

I know that now

On the Goodnews trip, we timed it around silvers, I read everything I could find for almost a year. Pink this, pink that, etc... I had three C&F boxes full of the prettiest silver flies you could imagine as evidenced by the pic below. Tried nearly everything in these boxes on these "bluebird" days. Turns out, all they wanted was a woolly bugger

Live and learn.

Like many said it really varies

But in my experience on rivers such as the naknek, kukakalek, nonvianuk or kvichiak around the 20 of september flesh flies and leeches start to equal or surpass beads in effectiveness and by early october leeches and flesh are really doing a lot better than beads.

I stopped fishing beads for a green wulf last night, made all the difference in the world

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    sometimes, they also stop biting beads when there are too many salmon eggs... Sometimes they just like to eat big orange things, sometimes they will hit anything, some times they won't. Thats why most folks carry a bunch of flies in their boxes
    I think this has been happening on Willow Creek. There are a ton of pink eggs in that river.

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    I think this has been happening on Willow Creek. There are a ton of pink eggs in that river.
    Goose creek too.

Fish don't "stop eating beads" when there are lots of eggs, they just get finicky. If your bead doesn't "match the hatch", they don't bite it - simple as that. Pay attention to the appearance of the eggs in your particular flow, then try to match them with a bead...the fish will tell you when you get it right.

Here is a fish taken from a small humpy stream in SE AK that had backeddies FULL of eggs. If you paint it right, they will bite...