Thread: Kodiak Bears

Default Kodiak Bears

I'm going to be in Kodiak the end of August and I'd love to get some bear pictures. I'd appreciate any advise on locations. Thanks

Little iffy on the road system. If you can fly out, Dog Salmon River, Frazier Lake, Karluk Lake/River, Thumb Lake, The Larsen Bay Dump. Possibly the Kodiak dump but it is fenced now.

Thanks. I was in Kodiak once before and got some decent pictures of a bear at the Buskin River. Just wondering if there were some other places I could drive a rental car to that I'd have a high probability of seeing bears. I am checking on flight trips. So far, either they don't have availability the days I'm there or I have to book at least 2 seats. That's too much money for 2 hours of bear viewing. I appreciate the help.

I would check in with all the airtaxi's - Andrew Airways, Island Air, and Seahawk and ask them to pair you up in an available seat on someone else's tour. Sometimes a last minute seat opens up and you can get it pretty cheap. If not you can take the mail plane to Karluk.

Not saying you won't see bears on the road system but it is not so commonplace that you can count on it happening in your time frame. If you are limited to that then I would visit all the rivers - Buskin by the lake if you can still drive there. The American, Psagshak - pretty much anywhere there are fish - if there are not a lot of people, you have a chance. But I fished all those rivers for many years and only saw a few bears.

Thumbs up

There's a couple of 'em hanging out in Bell's Flats. They kinda look like this... ;)

BeaverDriver, how do I "take the mail plane to Karluk"?
    Nothing yet on the air service bear viewing. I was told there may be cancellations in the next 2 weeks before I'm there.
    Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by searisk View Post
    BeaverDriver, how do I "take the mail plane to Karluk"?
    Nothing yet on the air service bear viewing. I was told there may be cancellations in the next 2 weeks before I'm there.
    Thanks for the help
    Go here and find out their schedule. The "mail plane" is kind of a dated phrase for seat fares on scheduled aircraft - often times float planes - that went to out of the way places such as canneries and set net sites etc. Talk to Olivia at Island Air and tell her what you want. She can help.

You could try the garbage dump....lots of birds there too. :D