Thread: Hunting Curious Caribou

Default Hunting Curious Caribou

Although born in Alaska, I've never hunted. I'm getting ready to go on my first caribou hunt on the Denali Highway.

A couple of people have said that if a caribou detects you on a stalk that you should wave a white flag of surrender and shout and yell and that often their curiosity brings them back to you--and then you shoot them.

I was just wondering if people could share their experiences of when they tried this.

Also, I've been told taking my white dog on the hunt is not likely to cause any alarm among the caribou and that they will likely not even care. I'm interested in hearing from people who have taken dogs on caribou hunts.

Somebody dont want you to catch Caribou........

The dog, in a Caribou's eye is a white Wolf, and if you like chasing spooked Caribou across the tundra, bring your dog and get ready for 1,000+ yards moving target shots.
    Dont shout, wave flags, bring loose dogs or let them smell you, they will leave.

However, if you , and even better a few folks walk not straight at them but obliqe to them, to close the gap[ a bit, and they will come and see if your other Caribou, and they will do so untill they stop, mill abit, and then leave, so make your shot when they stop and sniff. Often thats under 100 yards.
    Dark clothing is best and keep the dog tied and quiet.
    Say nothing, and walk, stop, walk stop, walk , stop, and they will think you are one of theirs.
    This trick is best done with all your wife and kids berry picking and the Caribou see you

Good luck.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Don't yell or bring the dog

Yelling probably will just spook them. Something that has worked in the past if they spot you is to stand up with your arms in the air (even holding a rifle in one arm) and swinging them back and forth as if they were antlers (both going the same direction, not waving them back and forth like a distress signal). The caribou will think it's another caribou shaking it's head and usually either ignore you or come closer to check it out.

Thanks all for the great advice. I'm trying to decide when to head down to the Denali Highway. Forecast looks like some rain is coming. I was thinking of going down on August 13 or 14 but maybe I should wait for better weather.

My favorite is to give the touchdown signal to young bulls, they will circle you till they wind you or are in range.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

How many hours do you have to keep your arms up there without moving before they get in range?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    My favorite is to give the touchdown signal to young bulls, they will circle you till they wind you or are in range.
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenWoods View Post
    How many hours do you have to keep your arms up there without moving before they get in range?

Depends on the PUNT!

Seriously though YOU DO NOT need to do any of that.

Stranger ina strangland. gave you top notch advise...

walk along side a bou. on an angel and you will eventually merge with the herd... i have run my four wheeler with BOU for MILES ... but as soon as i pointed it at them.. they were gone...

the wolf paces the herd every day.. he will spend days watching it... they know he is there with his kin...

it is not until that wolf makes his move toward ONE of them... they leave.

the young dumb ones and cows will still take a look but if you play the wind and DO NOT act like a preditor... they will typically allow you along side them...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

My dogs stay at home with the wife, or at the cabin if i am hunting there. I have an all white Boxer and definitly think he would mess things up. If you want to be sucessful, take the advice given here by others and leave the pooch at home.

If they are looking your way you can tell in two minutes if it will work, they will start doing that stupid caribou run and circle you. The circle will get tighter and tighter. You don't have to hold your arms up the whole time mostly just when they look at you. I will also keep walking if I'm heading in a direction any way. This best time this method works is if you take a larger bull in a group and the group moves out of range. We have brought multiple caribou right back to us for harvest by signaling touchdown while rocking back and forth for 30 seconds.

I prefer to hunt Caribou fairly relaxed if they come to me its great if not there will be more over they next hill.

The merging with the herd method will work in different situations as well. These are all suggestions use the ones that work at the time. Or combine them and try to merge with the herd waving your white flag while lifting your are occasionally.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Larry Bartlett mentions in his book attaching caribou antlers to his backpack and that he had success with this method. Anyone else try wearing Antlers?

Larry Bartlett mentions in his book attaching caribou antlers to his backpack and that he had success with this method. Anyone else try wearing Antlers?
    Sounds like a great method to me...if your goal is to get shot at.

Maybe I'll have to add a vulva to the back of my pants!

Quote Originally Posted by B-radford View Post
    Sounds like a great method to me...if your goal is to get shot at.
    There is a reason I hunt away from the stupid hunters who would shoot at a set of antlers without actually seeing the body of the animal. Having said that, we flag the heck out of any antlers in the boat while heading out because you never know who is camped around the next corner and what they might do.

I carry a set of shedded moose antlers with me during the rut months for calling, and they have orange survey tape all over them.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    There is a reason I hunt away from the stupid hunters who would shoot at a set of antlers without actually seeing the body of the animal.
    Wasnt saying that i would shoot at antlers before looking at the body, but your right, you never know what someone else camped down the road would do.

Raven,
    First of all, do NOT listen to that stranger fella. He has no real experience with caribou hunting (or any other type of hunting for that matter). You should however, listen to me. Here is what I do; I take my wolf hybrid dog on every caribou hunt and when I spot a herd I sick my wolf dog on them. He runs around their flank. I then begin yelling at the top of my lungs Ė all the time waiving my flag. I do prefer a NASCAR style flag because I believe that the black/white square pattern is more effective than pure white. Anyway, the caribouís natural instinct is to run away from the wolf and they all want to get to the finish line first so they will run toward the flag. I also usually scrape a line in the tundra so they know where to cross. Then I just start letting lead fly when the big bulls cross the line right in front of me. Its easy pickinís at that point.

Isn't there a law against using a dog to help you hunt?

Isn't there a law against using a dog to help you hunt?
    Not if they are a pure white wolf dog - I mean who'd even know it's your dog if it is a hybrid anyway? You could just say it is a spirit-wolf that helps you out....

That was you, critrgiter?

I though the Daytona was on...... Some guys get all the Caribou

"BUT" you left out your best kept secret and this guy needs to know about the Budweiser baseball helmet you ducktaped the antlers to, next the beers on each side, above yer ears, and the Rudolf suit you wear......I'd get rid of that Big red nose, though....~~LOL!!!~~(it help'd alot when I did....) It dosent help to run from the Hybred when your all dressd up to hunt......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    That was you, critrgiter?
    Yes that was me. I know it is hard to see when I have my Rudolf suit on.
    Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    "BUT" you left out your best kept secret and this guy needs to know about the Budweiser baseball helmet you ducktaped the antlers to, next the beers on each side, above yer ears, and the Rudolf suit you wear......I'd get rid of that Big red nose, though....~~LOL!!!~~(it help'd alot when I did....) It dosent help to run from the Hybred when your all dressd up to hunt......
    Did you have to tell the whole world all my secrets?!? I will not hunt any critters without my beer helmet.