Thread: Bowhunting in winter and some ???s

Default Bowhunting in winter and some ???s

Been up here going on 7yrs and before that i live in Washington and bowhunt for the last 18yrs came up here got certi. and i really don't know anyone that bowhunts. I have been hearing about orentation or something on ft. richardson. Any answers?? And how come no one has 3D shoots in the winter and i know its cold and maybe that the answer.And does anyone know if there is a techno hunt program or dart systems in anchorge if not I'm thinking about buying one. I,m sorry about my email address for some reason it will not work. Thanks BigDK

You could call the archery shops around town in Anchortown area out of the phone book and find out if they have techno. Its just a hair too cold up here in the interior to be doing outside shoots. I can tell you that years ago I killed a Bou with my bow at -35 degrees and the bow didn't sound too good when I drew it back.

Talking BigDK

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    You could call the archery shops around town in Anchortown area out of the phone book and find out if they have techno. Its just a hair too cold up here in the interior to be doing outside shoots. I can tell you that years ago I killed a Bou with my bow at -35 degrees and the bow didn't sound too good when I drew it back.
    I've called every shop up here and no one has one or never heard of it. Ant info. about the Ft. Rich thing??

Might be money making proposition. I know the ones up here get good use. I am shooting Dart leagues at Kings Nock in Fbks. Its a lot more fun spending the winter shooting at real targets in the Dart system than shooting a 5 spot on the wall. Keeps you fresh for spring too.

Yeah that what I'm looking for provide a good service to the bowhunter and keep in tune during the winter. I wonder how the insurance is for that kind of deal.

Default black sheep archery

I think the black sheep archery club on Elmendorf AFB has a 3D shoot once a month, at least thats what i got from the calendar on their website. I haven't ever been to one of their shoots, but i use the range a lot, it is a great deal for membership if you live somewhat close to the base.

Default Ft. Rich

The Ft. Rich orientation is for winners of the Ft. Rich archery hunts. You must be Bow Hunter certified to apply. Once drawn you are then required to shoot an additional profeciency test for the Ft. Rich guys. Once you get passed their shoot you are required to pay $125 and attend their orientation prior to the hunt. I believe the orientation is mostly rules and regs of Ft.Rich...

You can contact Dave Battle at 384-3909. He helps run the shoots and orientation stuff.

There are, or where shoots all winter long. Look up the Alaska Bowhunters Assoc. web addy and you'll find a link to all the groups in your area!!!

Default winter shoots

blacksheep has shoots one weekend a month I believe it's the first weekend of the month and chugiach has one a month also, i think theirs is the 3rd weekend of the month. talk to Bill at Backountry Archery in anchorage or Jerry at Fletchers in the valley. I have yet to see cold, wind or glare ice from some nasty freeze thaw cycles stop one. Alot of people show up to the Chugiak ones. I bring my whole family out. Youth classes/ ladies classes it's all there.

Default techno hunt

Bill at Backcountry has a good techno hunt. Chimo guns in the valley was trying to sell their techno hunt setup

Thanks for the info. Do you know his # (arrowslinger) I would be interested on buying it. (WinMag) It for the drawing of a special tag for that area and if you get draw right. I heard there are some special hunts up north for either sex moose around fairbanks is this right

Default techno gadget

chimo guns 376-5261. don't know if they still have it.

Default hope this helps

Here is ADF&G's link for Bowhunting regs.... (including bow hunter education requirements)

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...ons.bowhunting

As for any permit hunts you can check out the following:

http://wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=permits.main

There are either sex, antlerless and bull tags.... Just depends on when, where and of course IF you are lucky enough to draw.

Thanks guys I'm sure glad I join the web site I'll keep in touch to let you know about the dart system or techno hunt program and you guys can be the first to try it Thanks Again Big Dk

Cook inlet archers is having a 3d shoot tmrw there range is back on the old glenn..chk out there website for more info..have to do a search on the address not exactly sure what it is.....

Don't miss Cook in lets shoot. It's the anual turkey shoot where they give away turkey, pies ETC for thanksgiving.
    Few years ago I came in second in my division and got a very nice pis from them.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've gotta hand it to you folks down south. The 3d shoot are definatly a hoot, people are personable, the shoot itself is a riot. Unlike the interior!!! Getting people out of the field archery mindset and into the bowhunting mindset, what a headache. They'll either move targets or basically mow a path to them. I've driven south for a few of these shoots and had a blast and was definatly welcomed!!!!

Just something the interior area is missing in its entirety

BigDk talking where i come from 3D shoots, we are waiting for them all summer and winter . (FulDraw is the shoot on Monday or what Give me acall (907)529-7633 )Please.(TradBow) when and where and what time Give me a call I'm very interested so call (907)529-7633 please