Thread: Seward Campgrounds?

Default Seward Campgrounds?

Has anyone been to the Silver Derby Campground at Lowell Point or the city of Seward Forest Acres Campground near the military rec camp? I would rather not go to Miller's Landing but I like campgrounds with lots of trees and space between the sites. Any other suggestions? I don't want to go to the waterfront campground, too exposed for my tastes. Thanks.

Silver Derby has junk cars and lots of rusting metal in the woods. It's a really unpleasant place to stay if you have kids. I was never able to actually speak with the couple that run (own?) the place.

Whoever did their grading work isn't very good on equipment. It could be a nice place if the owners put a little time into the place.

The sites appear to have been picked at random by some dude walking around: "Hmmm, let's knock some stuff down over here and call it a camp site. Here's another."

There are no picnic tables or fire rings either, which isn't that big of a deal, but is nice to know prior to showing up.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Agreed

When I saw the Silver Derby I thought the campground sign was a joke and then I realized people were really camping there. I thought it was just an entrance to a junk yard.

The city campground by the rec center is a very nice place to stay if you can get in there. There is another about 4 miles out the road headed back towards Anchorage that my parents have stayed at many times. They really liked it as well. I can't think of the name of it, but there is sign for it out on the hiway with an arrow pointing you to it. Hope this helps you.

Default Stayed at Forest Acres once...

Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Has anyone been to the Silver Derby Campground at Lowell Point or the city of Seward Forest Acres Campground near the military rec camp? I would rather not go to Miller's Landing but I like campgrounds with lots of trees and space between the sites. Any other suggestions? I don't want to go to the waterfront campground, too exposed for my tastes. Thanks.
    For low-key, cheap camping it is just fine, none to crowded, and lives up to its name. And that was on a 4th of July to boot!

Thumbs up Silver Derby

My wife and I spent last weekend in Silver Derby. I couldn't see paying $36 a night for a camping spot, even if we didn't hook up to power. Silver Derby is just starting up so the sites are pretty rustic. We did have a fire pit, and wood was 6.00 a bundle.(We brought our own.) No showers, but Millers Landing let us use theirs. All in all not that bad if you are on a budget.

We always stay at the city campground across from the military rec center. Good bathrooms, small playground, out of the wind and cheap. There always seems to be a passle of kids there and my kids make friends every time they go. Who could ask for more?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Check out Stoney Creek campground, we stayed there for the first time this year and I will continue to camp there in the future. It is just north of Seward and a great place to stay.

http://www.stoneycreekrvpark.com/

Default Hello,

It is a great campground. i simply love it.

Just an FYI - try the Park Locator on my

www.goingnorthrv.com site.

I struggle to keep it up to date for the privately owned RV parks around Alaska. It lists parks by highway/area.

I think you will see that I personally like Stoney Creek as well. It is listed on the "Kenai Peninsula" page.

....yes, Stoneycreek is good....
    -it's just down the street from us...

-also, Bear Creek is excellent, as well...-off of Bear Lake road, the road just north of Stonycreek- a little futher down Bear Lake road is the fish wier...where you can watch all the brown bear catch fish-

-we know both RV parks- good people