Thread: Matanuska Peak?

Default Matanuska Peak?

A couple of my buddies drew sheep tags in 14A, they said I could tag along and try for a moose or brownie. Would it be worth it to make the trip up there for that? How is the moose/brown bear hunting around there? Any help is greatly appreciated.

anybody??????

I have seen moose up high there before. Sure would not want to pack one out of there!

Just got done hiking that area last week. Have to agree with Laker, that would be a pretty hard pack out, doable but very hard. I spent the day glassing and seen no bear and 1 cow and calf. Good hunting....

Default agree but...

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    I have seen moose up high there before. Sure would not want to pack one out of there!
    I'll agree, but it would be worth it just to tag along on the sheep hunt, unless your going to hunting elsewhere yourself.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Blake View Post
    A couple of my buddies drew sheep tags in 14A, they said I could tag along and try for a moose or brownie. Would it be worth it to make the trip up there for that? How is the moose/brown bear hunting around there? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Are you a resident? If not then one of your buddies will have to be a blood realative. Father, brother, etc or you will need a licensed guide. I took my cousin on my Unit 14C (right across the river) hunt last year, I didn't get a sheep but he did manage to tumble a nice sheep eater (black bear) we also narowly missed a coyote.

if you haven't packed a moose before and know what it involves I would just put the thought out of your mind right now!!

I agree completely that you should still tag along if you don't have anything better to do.

Being up in sheep country is a completely different hunting experience and even though it's physically demanding it is incredibly rewarding too.

if you plan on hunting moose back there I would reccomend bringing at least 10 of your friends
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I hunted the area with my brother a few years ago. We saw a moose up in the alpine. As much as we discussed how easy it would be to get to it, and whether or not it was legal, there was only about a minute of real discussion about if we were actually serious about shooting it. Because that's all it took to realize that there was absolutely no way we were packing it out. Sheep country is no place to kill a moose.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I occasionally use the mat peak trail for sheep training. I have not seen a brown bear there, tons of black bears, but no browns. Frankly there is no way I'd pay for a flight to hunt moose, moose hunting is work flat out! You also need to make sure you "tagging along" doesn't effect there hunt. As LuJon pointed out including you may make it necessary for them to have a guide. Also if your not in great shape tagging along just might ruin your friendship. Most sheep hunters train for months to be ready for the hunt and that is a draw tag area. I know that if a friend of mine showed up ill prepared and ruined a draw hunt I may never be able to do again there would be a good chance he'd be headed down the mountain the fast way!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

If you want to come to Alaska and go moose hunting, then come up here and go moose hunting. Dont tag along on your buddies sheep hunt and shoot a moose, you will ruin his sheep hunt because by the time you are done packing that out, you will not feel like going back up for a sheep.

Default Tag along

help when needed, but dont shoot a 1400lb moose. Are they crazy? saying that in fun, but no way would i tell someone to shoot a moose if i was sheep hunting. Just to get out and climb up a high peak with guys that should be in shape would be an experience. Be the camp cook, photographer, dishwasher and pack mule and they should return the favor for your lowland moose hunt.