Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel Recomondation

Default Reel Recomondation

I am as green as a newborn when it comes to fly fishing, but have been looking for a good deal on a fly rod.

Well I came across two brand new, on clearance Lamiglass rods, one a 10# and the other a 6# for $21.00 per rod!!

So... what type of reel/line should I put on these rods?

I am ready to get into this branch of fishing that so many rave about, and yet so many avoid because of the unknown.

Anyone out there in/near Fairbanks wanna take a new-be shopping and get me on the right path?

For those out of the area, any ideas?
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default Okuma

Buy a reel from Okuma, I have the Integrity reel ---works well for Sockeyes, silvers, and rainbows. It is a good quality reel.

I'm in the same boat as you. I got a really great deal on a Fenwick HMG 9' 6# and I'm trying to decide on a reel myself.

I've chosen the Scientific Anglers System 2L as a fall back if I can't decide on what I want.
    Now what ?

I have 2 system 2L's 5/6's and love them to death! I would use this reel for kings....for that I have a ross g3 and a system 2 10/11

the okumas are good low end reels for sure! I dont know about chasing kings with them though havent looked at the drags.

if you can find an older STH the one with the plastic pop in spools they were quite nice...and you should be able to find one cheap used! Plus spare spools are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!

Default Get to some local shops...

No offense here, but if I were you, I would buy the cheapest reel I could find. Check on Cabelas "Bargain Bin" part of the website. Often some good deals there. Take a look at the Cabelas Prestige Plus reels. For line, match it to the rod wt. A WF (floating) line should be your first. If you have two reels per rod, or a spare spool at least, then consider a sink tip line as your second line. Get to a local fly shop and ask about nearby fishing areas, flies, leader type/length, etc.. They can help fine tune things after you get the rod/reel. Let them put the backing and line on the reels for you. Easy to do yourself later, but for now, just keep it simple. Buying the line from them will make this easy. They might even have some bargain reels laying around they can sell you cheap.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Saw this on Cabelas. $29 reel. Not familiar with it but it had good reviews. I have used the Cabelas Prestige Plus and they are nice reels for money. Just thought I would pass this on in case you are looking for a less expensive reel.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...471&hasJS=true
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I would definatly agree to that Dan....however on a 10wt he's going after big critters..maybe buy one for now for that lighter rod, the cheaper reel and get set up go fish.

When you're ready for big stuff, which generally is more specialized, go find a mid range good quality new/used reel for that 10wt. Afterall you're not chasing grayling here....You dont NEED the drag if you plan on palming the reel however a big fish WILL destroy a cheap reel! just something to think about....

Good point. On smaller fish, the reel is mostly a line holder. I would never let my wife hear that. She would question all my Evolutions and Lamsons. But it is true. The quality of the reel (and drag most of all) will be a bigger issue as you get into big fish.

Lamson, best reel for the money and lightweight too. You can get a konic or a guru (new machined one) they are both awesome reels!

So far so good for my Albright reel. I really like it.

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/

The Bugati reel is what I have in a 4wt.

Not bad, $50 dollar reel, MSRP is $250...
    http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-r...fly-reels.html

I have a GP reel in a 9wt but have not used that. It will be put to the test in about 2 weeks though

What was called the Ross Canyon is a good for the money reel for big bow and salmon, it is now the Momentum.

For the #6 any good reel will work Ross makes many and so does Bauer.

The STH will hold up to large fish I have a #2 but the #3 would be better When fishing for those that migrate its best to have 200 yards on the spool. We are lucky here in Michigan we have Kings, Coho, Steelhead, Browns, Bows, and Atlantic salmon. I started with a Lamglas #9 for chuck and duck, but have worked up to a RPLxi 890-3 and a 3N Able. Still have the lamglass should get that out and put the stl on it.

I should add for 7-8.6 foot #3-#4-#5 rods light weight matters to get a good balance point. But for 6-10 weight rods of 9 foot lenght you need wight to get it to balance and for bullet proof reels. I bought a galviston once for about what a canyon cost it was a flimzie reel for a #7 rod should have just bought the canyon.

For me, buying cheap gear is a waste of time. I'm not saying buying the most expensive rod and reel, but look for gear that that has a good warranty, 10, 25, or lifetime. If its got "Made in the USA" written on it it is probably well made and has a good warranty.

I'm a big fan of Ross reels (fished with the owner's son in Montrose for a few months). That being said, I've had a Lamson Konic (inexpensive reels <$200) on my 9wt rod and it has NEVER let me down. It's landed a couple hundred reds, probably 50 silvers, and quite a few pinks (overkill).

I'll be stocking up on a few more of the Lamson's in the next week or so. The drag is smooth as butter and I couldn't be happier. I was surprised with the spool release but it's never been an issue for me.

My reels get a pretty good workout.

Oh, it's also landed a half dozen nice kings, nothing over 40 but nothing under 20. I've relegated the large arbor Sage to a saltwater reel for fishing central America.

Taking all that into account, most of your $500+ reels are going to be good. I'd rather not spend money on shiny metal when dull metal works just as good for 1/3 the price
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    No offense here, but if I were you, I would buy the cheapest reel I could find. Check on Cabelas "Bargain Bin" part of the website. Often some good deals there. Take a look at the Cabelas Prestige Plus reels. For line, match it to the rod wt. A WF (floating) line should be your first. If you have two reels per rod, or a spare spool at least, then consider a sink tip line as your second line. Get to a local fly shop and ask about nearby fishing areas, flies, leader type/length, etc.. They can help fine tune things after you get the rod/reel. Let them put the backing and line on the reels for you. Easy to do yourself later, but for now, just keep it simple. Buying the line from them will make this easy. They might even have some bargain reels laying around they can sell you cheap.
    Research Cabela's Bargain Bin (or Bargain Cave at the retail stores) fly reel purchases before you buy to make sure you're not buying a discontinued reel.

Cabela's sells their branded discontinued fly reels through the bargain bin & bargain cave, and if you ever have the need for parts of replacement / additional spools, they can be a problem to get on the discontinued reels.

Rig up the 6wt first and practice casting with it. Once you got the cast down, then rig up the 10wt.

Default Thanks!

Thanks to all of you with some great advice here!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

ROSS!!!!! I recently fried my ross, sent it in, and gotta new one just like that!

I hear ya muzzy my g3 and the warrenty that comes with it is worth the price....along with my system 2Ls and system 2.

I learned paying a little more in the long run pays for itself usually two or three fold over....case in point, a king burnt my system 2 10/11 drag (mind you this reel I've put through heck and back and has caught MANY fish, including more then a few kings). The broke free of the metal bracket holding them in place. In a few days I had a new one, free of charge, no shipping, no questions asked! which shipping alone was worth more then some of these reels mentioned....

I'm not advocating going out and dumping 300 on a reel....but if you can, you'll likely never buy another for life.

And you dont need a ton of spare spools if you buy into versitip style lines.

Or buy a floating line with a loop connector or add one your self and then buy the appropriate heads that YOU need for YOUR situation

That means quite possibly buying ONE reel for the 2 rods mentioned and only having to for out half the price for a spare spool for the 2nd rod. You can easily swap out spare spools to use a different rod and you'll have the sink tip portions that can swap for both rods...along with some cortland leadcore for 15 bucks and you're set for life. cut this into 1, 3 and 5' sections to add to the end of sinktips to really get things down if need be! it's rare I need one but I'm glad I have them when I do! It sounds like a LOt, but it's a helluva lot cheaper then buying 3 or 4 spare spools for each different line you want to use for ONE rod!

glad you understood that AKA.......thats almost embarassing rereading it, guess I was tired LOL!

the lamson konic is a very nice reel and a reasonable price.

I have a STH ch3 that I like very well. It has a very smooth drag that has parted 40lb mono when fishing kings and wasn't tightened all the way yet. The reel came with three spools and spares are only about $10 each. It sold for about $100 new. I also have several Okumas that for the money ($30/40) have good drags and spare spools are only $12/15. You can spend a whole lot more but I'm not sure how much better an expensive reel is as I've never used one. Never had a bit of trouble with the okumas or the STH so I'm not sure what spending more would get you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast