Thread: Untreated fuel in gas cans

Default Untreated fuel in gas cans

Does anyone know roughly how long untreated fuel will last in sealed gas cans?

Personally, I try to utilize it within a year, once the temperature drops below freezing and starts to warm back up, you get condensation that will wreck havoc with the fuel system. So in the winter, I don't like to use early winter the next summer. Or will use it first with plenty of fuel dryer.

If I have the fuel stabilizer, I've used fuel that is 2yrs old. I don't like to let it sit longer than that though.

HTH

Bill

Exclamation

run it thur a Mr funnel and it well burn rite if its been sealed, don't ever add a "heet" to it before mr funnel and NEVER use the yellow bottle with 2 cycle/mix......and yea i know "everyone did that for years" (just read the back of a old bottle < 1999 of heet and compare to a new one.).. it WILL make a waxie build up in the system .. most of it in the tank. if u have a drum/tank of fuel that u know u mixed the two ...its hard to clean up...drop a length of chain in the tank and shake/watch out for the fuel sender ...u will start getting it out... " you don't want to do it on a river bank 450 miles from home with ice comming down the river/ than have to make a big stink with letters an phone calls/for almost a year to get the warning on the bottle!".
    Last edited by atvalaska; 08-10-2009 at 15:42. Reason: spell'in
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    Does anyone know roughly how long untreated fuel will last in sealed gas cans?
    Genarally the rule of thumb for todays fuel if untreated is 6 months, now it doesnt instantly go bad at that time and from personal experience I have used fuels that were stored longer than that w/o a problem.
    If its a modern motor with fuel injection, they seem to be more sensitive to fuel quality and I dont think todays gasoline has the shelf live it used to.
    I dont know how much you have in cans or how old it is, Usally I try to burn the "aged" fuel in my lawnmower or my old pickup and dilute it with some new stuff. Why second guess your fuel quality if your heading "out" some where in a boat.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR