Thread: Remington 308 to WSM conversion

Default Remington 308 to WSM conversion

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any insights to this conversion. I currently have a short action remington with a .473 bolt face.

I want to use the action to build a 300 WSM. I know the bolt has to be opened up, don't know if at that point I could use a regular extractor or not, or have to go with a sako style.

Also I don't know if the rails have to be modified or what exactly do you need to do to the mag box and follower.

I know thats a bunch of "I don't knows" but thats why I'm asking.

Looking for some pro and cons to the conversion, or if someone here has done it,,thanks

This looks like a good question for the gunsmith section. Personally, If it were mine, I would take loss on the gun in trade for a new 300 wsm. You might be money ahead compared to the expense of converting your rifle to 300 wsm.

Agreed on the trade in, my problem is I'm left handed, would never actually get rid of the action, too hard to come by sometimes.

I do need to talk to a smith though, it does seem though I could swap bolts, mag box and follower and be good to go.

From what I know, Remington builds their WSM's on short actions, Only real question is if its a dimensionally different short action from their 308 SA

I'll do more reseach but if anyone knows for sure, feel free to chime it

"I do need to talk to a smith though, it does seem though I could swap bolts, mag box and follower and be good to go."

You may also need a new barrel. Call Ken at wild west guns, he'll tell if the conversion to 300 wsm is finacially feasable.

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post
    From what I know, Remington builds their WSM's on short actions, Only real question is if its a dimensionally different short action from their 308 SA

When you hear or say "short action" it's an action based on the length of the 308. We started out with a standard action length based on the 30-06 and that is often referred to as a long action now. Then there are the more obscure magnum length, 223 lengths, and some very short actions.

The 300WSM was designed to get the very most power possible from a 308 length Ďshort actioní and that is almost always what it gets built on, but I have seen them on the 30-06 length Ďlong actioní rarely.

Unless the bolt travel is about an inch longer than needed you have a short action 308 and 300WSM is about as big as that action can go. If you have a 30-06 length long action (you may well have a long since it's a lefty) you may be able to go to a 300WM with less trouble than 300WSM. I would take a WM over a WSM every time if you are already giving up the WSMís only real advantage which is the shorter action.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

It's an easy conversion. First you sell the .308, then you buy a 300 wsm.

There is a considerable amount of work that will go into re-contouring the feed rails and feed ramp to make a .308 action feed the wsm case. Most gunsmiths aren't capable of doing the work to make the conversion feed reliably, so you'll spend several hundred dollars to have the bolt opened, the magazine opened and the barrel re-chambered, and have a gun that isn't as good as a factory rifle.

Don't take this personally, but are your shooting skills good enough to take advantage of what the 300 wsm offers? With good bullets, the .308 has plenty of power for big game out to 300 yds. I know very good shots that have taken deer sized game at double that distance with the .308. Most people vastly underestimate what the .308 is capable of. With todays powders and bullets, the .308 will do everything that gained the 30-06 it's reputation.

I'd say your best bet for the $ you'd spend on converting the rifle is to put it into ammunition and hone your skills with the .308. If you aren't a handloader, now is as good a time as any to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

There is a considerable amount of work that will go into re-contouring the feed rails and feed ramp to make a .308 action feed the wsm case. Most gunsmiths aren't capable of doing the work to make the conversion feed reliably, so you'll spend several hundred dollars to have the bolt opened, the magazine opened and the barrel re-chambered, and have a gun that isn't as good as a factory rifle.

Don't take this personally, but are your shooting skills good enough to take advantage of what the 300 wsm offers? With good bullets, the .308 has plenty of power for big game out to 300 yds. I know very good shots that have taken deer sized game at double that distance with the .308. Most people vastly underestimate what the .308 is capable of. With todays powders and bullets, the .308 will do everything that gained the 30-06 it's reputation.

I'd say your best bet for the $ you'd spend on converting the rifle is to put it into ammunition and hone your skills with the .308. If you aren't a handloader, now is as good a time as any to start.
    Yup, I agree about the 308 and reloading. 308 is my favorite rifle round by far and I have taken about everything in North America from rabbit to brown bear with it. But thatís just me and if ya want a WSM go for it, life is too short.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

I couldn't agree more!

To clarify, yes it is a short action, I'd most certainly be looking at something like a 30-06 or 280 or something else if it was a Long action. Even a 300WM, but would most likely just buy another rifle for that, since I would need the bolt face opened up with that one too. But you can still find those left handed!

Finding a short action that left handed and mag bolt face is tough, gunbroker has zero. Have not seen any online for that matter, if you want to go with remington

I'll give a call, or better yet drop into WW to see about the conversion. I have other rifles, don't need this one for this fall, I'm looking at this as a winter project. The rifle in question is actually a 7-08 and has been a complete problem child. I've spent way more time and energy working loads and range time into this gun than I would like. I've never had a rifle with this little confidence in, sooo its got to go.

I have a lot of money in the stock, trigger, rings, bolt fluting, just wanted to get an idea if the conversion was as simple as it would seem, and what it would cost.

thanks

I'm a bit confused on where I mentioned that I was knocking the .308 or even saying it was inferior to the 300 wsm

Then you talk about handloading and shooting ability?,,,,,thats really taking a huge departure from what I was asking,

All I wanted to know is if someone has had the conversion done, period. And what the work entailed,

The 300 WSM is a great round and I would talk you into one in a heart beat. The 308 is a good round but the WSM is way better ballistically and if I was hunting good size bears in AK or deer hunting on Kodiak, I would much rather be caring a 300 WSM instead of a 308. That goes for sheep and goat hunitng as well where a good flat shooring rilfe will pay dividends on a long mountian slope shot.

Having said that, I agree with the rest. You would be better off buying a new Rem 300 WSM that is designed for the short fat case instead of pouring money into a conversion.

-MR

Agreed on the trade in, my problem is I'm left handed, would never actually get rid of the action, too hard to come by sometimes.

I do need to talk to a smith though, it does seem though I could swap bolts, mag box and follower and be good to go.

There are usually left handed WSM's Model 70's on Gunbrokers for sale. 7mm WSM seems to be priced the cheapest and are the most common for sale and occassionly you will see .270 and 300 WSM's for sale as well. This one seems to be priced high in my opinion, but they are around:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=136727706

Here is another:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=136796800
    Tennessee

Thanks for the links, I'm doing a bit more research here too. I completely agree with most that a new gun is the way to go, but I'm just weighing options here. Its a funny thing too, I have a hard time selling a gun I know won't shoot..or at least great,,.karma thing I guess

Not just looking for a factory gun here anyway, want something at least semi-custom so really just looking for an action. Which does sometimes mean buying a donor gun.

I have been a remington supporter for a long time but I have read of feeding issues with the WSM's, some guys have gotten past that by using single stack, which will reduce mag capacity.

Really would love to put a caliper on a wsm SA rem to compare the rails to mine, as for the bolt, quoted 125 to open up, so no real issue. So far just trying to figure out what exactly remigton did to their short action to feed the WSM, I really doubt they changed their tooling much, rail width is my main issue.

If you really don't want to sell that rifle, you could save it for a much easier project later on. There a lot of option in terms of just rebarelling the gun. You could consider rebarrelling to 22-250, 243, 260, 308, 338 federal, etc.

Major changes to a custom gun project add up quickly. I vote for just buying a new 300 wsm. You can never have too many guns.

I'm a bit confused on where I mentioned that I was knocking the .308 or even saying it was inferior to the 300 wsm

Then you talk about handloading and shooting ability?,,,,,thats really taking a huge departure from what I was asking,

All I wanted to know is if someone has had the conversion done, period. And what the work entailed,
    Sorry you were offended here, I donít think anyone intended disrespect. Paul was just uncertain of your level of knowledge and wanted to point out that many people vastly under estimate the 308ís power. We didnít know it was a 7mm08 and not a 308 so we were just brainstorming, trying to help with limited info is all.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    If you really don't want to sell that rifle, you could save it for a much easier project later on. There a lot of option in terms of just rebarelling the gun. You could consider rebarrelling to 22-250, 243, 260, 308, 338 federal, etc.

Major changes to a custom gun project add up quickly. I vote for just buying a new 300 wsm. You can never have too many guns.
    I agree. Sounds like you do not like the 7mm08 but like the rest of the gun. If thatís the case I would put a good 1in10 308 (30-06 ballistic equal) barrel on it and keep it. Just buy a 300wsm, if thats what you want, and build it out the way you want it.

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default 6.5-08AI candidate? AKA 260AI

140's at 2900 from a 1 in 8.5" twist 26" Kreiger barrel interest anyone?

I'd cut it to 23.5 and give up a couple of FPS with no qualms.

If you're gonna bump up to the 300wsm, why not play a bit?

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek046.html

one of many articles I've read while researching the 260AI.

Just a thought.

No offense taken, just was wondering about the departure?

The 308 and the 7-08 are great rounds, I have shot and owned both. I'm just looking for a new caliber and like the performance of the 300 wsm, my go to gun right now is a factory savage 300WM,

Like a previous post, building guns is a bit of an addiction and when this one did not make snuff it's time to move on, just looking for clarification on a build, I get alot of range time, and I want a gun that will shoot better than I'm able, it gives a ruler to measure ones self. I can just shoot better than this particular gun will allow and thus the reason for my question.

It may very well become another 308 type rifle, just wanted to figure out if it was a feesible build. I'll clarify the thread by talking with some smiths and report, I'm sure someone else has thought about the conversion, google left hand wsm and up pops 3 or 4 cusom rifles for sale that started life as a 308 or 22-250

Thanks for the input so far, I'll get to the bottom of the nuts and bolts

I've seen one 308/300WSM conversion and it was pretty well done. The 700 is made in 300 WSM so a correct magazine box, barrel and bolt will be a factory type item so I can't see building one out would be difficult. I'd sink some money in a good barrel- it will pay the most dividends in accuracy. Maybe not cost effective but the shooting sports seldom are...

I shoot both .308 and .300WSM and think a lot of both of them. If you have a donor rifle you don't object to parting out then I'd go for it. Be aware it will cost nearly as much or more than a new rifle but you'll likely have a better built rifle in the end anyway.

I'd never part out a decent .308 to make a .300 out of- I'd just buy a different rifle. But Frankenstein a 7mm-08 that won't shoot? I'd seriously consider that in a heartbeat.

Default apologies for the departure.

Yes the 22-250/7mm08/308 to 300wsm has been done. Even considered it myself.

With you being left handed, and having slim pickings for rifles available... if I was in your shoes, I'd have the action at the smith already.

Yup, it's gonna cost ya. Anything interesting or fun isn't cheap.

Fully agree with drop the coin on a good barrel. Personal favorite is Kreiger. Duh, right??

Mike

Alright the so called "nuts and bolts" are that I have worked on a few 700 and model 7 conversions from the 308 family to the WSMs. And they are a real pain to get to feed correctly, the bolt face and rails both need to be opened up, the follower and mag box must be changed along with the spring at times. The feed ramp also has to be worked over, and the ramp and rails have to be done a little at a time, so as not to go to far. A bolt swap also isnt as easy as it seems, as Remington wont even sell one to its warranty stations, the rifle has to go back to the factory.
    I know that you want a new caliber and nobody wants a rifle that wont shoot, but as a gunsmith I would strongly suggest sticking with a standard cartridge for this action. I take from your posts that you are a handloader and the 338 Fed or 358Win might be cool to play with.

By the way we have a brand new LH control feed Win 70 in 300WSM we are jjust dying to get rid of down at the shop. (the shop is WWG)
    Last edited by The Kid; 08-12-2009 at 00:59. Reason: add info