Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WARNING! WARNING!...Secret Spots

Default WARNING! WARNING!...Secret Spots

I thought I'd be the first to remind everyone about keeping their favorite duck hunting spots closely guarded. As the waterfowl opener gets closer the Internet scouters will be out in force. It's easy to fall into wanting to help someone new to the area, or just new to duck hunting, to find a spot to hunt ducks. However, too much detail eliminates their need to scout and learn for themselves. I didn't grow up here or have spots handed to me...I had to scout and learn after I moved here. I'd hate to go back to combat duck hunting like where I came from.

From Anchorage it's pretty easy to find the general areas. Drive an hour or so north or south and start looking for marsh. From there you have to put in the time and learn the bird movements and favorite spots. Specific details or inadvertant pictures showing familiar landmarks will only invite more competition for those of us who put in the time. If you want to have shot rained down on you or have someone with a kazoo trying to call off birds locked onto your spread go ahead....give away the details. Also, use caution as to which friends you take...you might find yourself beaten to the blind next time you go by your "friend" and his friends. If nothing else please use the PM function rather than just posting here where everyone can see the directions to your's or my spot.

Just remember....there is a big difference between waterfowlers and duck shooters. Waterfowlers enjoy all the challenges of the game and aren't just interested in pulling the trigger.

Heavy straps for everyone!

Greg

There's this great spot just off of the highway in...

Oops, I almost made a boo boo
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

So everything should be a big secret? I don't follow the logic.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

If someone wants to help someone else out thats up to them. I hope alot of people hunt jim creek this fall the more people keeps the birds moving.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    If someone wants to help someone else out thats up to them. I hope alot of people hunt jim creek this fall the more people keeps the birds moving.

i heard Jim creek was going to be hot all the way up here.... have fun with that! lots of hatch, lots of hunters
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Psst...hey you...yeah you with the DU sticker....

...I see you have out of state plates on your rig...wanna know a great duck hunting spot? My buddy showed it to me last season and we cleaned up out there.

Do you have a mud motor? You do! That is great man! because you can't get into this spot with out one and my buddy has the worn down broken outboard props to prove it. That guy is crazy! He takes his silly little homemade boat with a normal prop outboard into places that just kills his motor. The guy is nuts! He says he has to stop hunting this spot because it tears up his motor something awful. He keeps going back though. He just can't get enough.

You ever hear of Jame's Crick? Maybe it was Jamie's slough? Man I don't know I was so lost in the dark and the fog I couldn't tell where we were, but it is out there in that big swamp at the end of that road out there near, um, oh I can't remember I slept for most of the ride out there. I just remember the boat ride mostly.

So you launch your boat in the first lake over the rock cliff and then head out towards the river, but don't go into the river keep heading straight to the river on the other side of the lake. All the other suckers will be turning left into Jim Bob Creek, but they are suckers taking that long boat ride when there is a great spot right near by.

Keep going across the first lake you launched in. You will come to a beaver dam and there will be some rowdy locals yelling at you to slow down and watch their decoys. Go through the beaver dam and you are in the greatest lake in the whole place! Keep the thick grass on your left and the thin grass on your right and after about 3 to 5 minutes take a hard right and head in to the thin grass. Go about 200 yards and you will be right in the middle of the second lake and on the "X"!

Man it was awesome last year! Pintails right in my face! Mallards all over us! The Teal were in punches flying all kinds of crazy! This place was like our own private club all morning! My buddy told me that all the birds get pushed out of the other lakes early in the morning and come here to calm down. It is like a refuge he says. And the lake is huge! He does not know why more people don't hunt it since there is room for several more boats. It did kind of slow down after about 10am with just us out there and no one else.

You want me to drawn you a map? I don't know man, my buddy would be kind of upset if I did that. I really shouldn't be telling you any more or my buddy will be PO'd at me.

Good luck this season!

So skybust, you think that will help us out this year? It is all factual information so someone is bound to take it seriously and put it to good use. I hope so my outboard is getting tired.

HAHAAH Ray that was pretty good

Default Look out!

ITS A TRAP!

Set the table and see who shows up.

Here is the secret to hunting water fowl alone, without another boat in sight, we are talking haven't herd a shot all season, ya ready for it? You want a second so you can get a piece of paper to take notes? OK I'll wait.

Hunt with a bow! There are dozens of untouched lakes and fields in archery only areas!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

That's some funny replys....especially AK Rays! There aren't really any true secret spots that are road accessible. Heck... all you have to do is drive the roads near the marshes, listen for the shots, get out the binocs, and find the X! If you have a boat, kayak, etc that reduces the competition quite a bit.

My point is pretty simple. If you give up the goods to somebody who has not invested any time on his own to figure it out, but is asking someone on here to spill the beans, you can expect company. Then you will complain on here about skybusters, crowding, poor calling, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I have a plan A, B, and C when I get to where I'm going. If somebody took the time to beat me to my spot so be it. I have other options. But I'm sure as heck not going to give up my hard earned knowledge to somebody asking on this board. My advice when the posts start is: Drive north or south, look for a marsh and scout, scout, scout.

I learned waterfowling on the California Refuges. These areas have some of the best habitat and duck hunting in the country. But they come with all of the above listed problems. If this is what you want for yourself post away.

Default A little help is always nice.

you know I wouldnt be into duck hunting as much I am if it hadnt been for someone asking my if I wanted to go. Having never hunted waterfowl of any kind I was pretty excited. I have hunted the same area for the last three seasons and will hunt it this year,BUT I have since scouted a couple different spots that look promising, but I aint telling where they are..lol Those spots are gonna be for hunting alone.

I am not the worlds greatest duck caller, but I am better this year than last. Its something that takes practice, the bad callers drive'em to the ppl that are pretty good at it, Lord knows I did.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    ...I see you have out of state plates on your rig...wanna know a great duck hunting spot? My buddy showed it to me last season and we cleaned up out there.

Do you have a mud motor? You do! That is great man! because you can't get into this spot with out one and my buddy has the worn down broken outboard props to prove it. That guy is crazy! He takes his silly little homemade boat with a normal prop outboard into places that just kills his motor. The guy is nuts! He says he has to stop hunting this spot because it tears up his motor something awful. He keeps going back though. He just can't get enough.

You ever hear of Jame's Crick? Maybe it was Jamie's slough? Man I don't know I was so lost in the dark and the fog I couldn't tell where we were, but it is out there in that big swamp at the end of that road out there near, um, oh I can't remember I slept for most of the ride out there. I just remember the boat ride mostly.

So you launch your boat in the first lake over the rock cliff and then head out towards the river, but don't go into the river keep heading straight to the river on the other side of the lake. All the other suckers will be turning left into Jim Bob Creek, but they are suckers taking that long boat ride when there is a great spot right near by.

Keep going across the first lake you launched in. You will come to a beaver dam and there will be some rowdy locals yelling at you to slow down and watch their decoys. Go through the beaver dam and you are in the greatest lake in the whole place! Keep the thick grass on your left and the thin grass on your right and after about 3 to 5 minutes take a hard right and head in to the thin grass. Go about 200 yards and you will be right in the middle of the second lake and on the "X"!

Man it was awesome last year! Pintails right in my face! Mallards all over us! The Teal were in punches flying all kinds of crazy! This place was like our own private club all morning! My buddy told me that all the birds get pushed out of the other lakes early in the morning and come here to calm down. It is like a refuge he says. And the lake is huge! He does not know why more people don't hunt it since there is room for several more boats. It did kind of slow down after about 10am with just us out there and no one else.

You want me to drawn you a map? I don't know man, my buddy would be kind of upset if I did that. I really shouldn't be telling you any more or my buddy will be PO'd at me.

Good luck this season!

So skybust, you think that will help us out this year? It is all factual information so someone is bound to take it seriously and put it to good use. I hope so my outboard is getting tired.
    sound familiar Grem?...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Uhhhhh, nope, it doesn't ring a bell.

It's a good thing I don't like the taste of flying liver otherwise I'd have some killer spots, on Jamies Slough after you take a right on Jim Bob Creek over yonder near Mud Road, that nobody but me could access.

I'd have to ride through a butt puckering mess before I wore out my prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    It's a good thing I don't like the taste of flying liver otherwise I'd have some killer spots,
    good thing I like shooting flying liver.......I can shoot birds and you can glass for moose or something...I promise the moose won't mind the commotion one bit...
    pull my finger....

Default Waterfowling spots

Well gents,,,I will miss yet another season of the fine shooting on Jeremiah Creek, the smell of the early morning marsh and the wet dog, whistling wings, busting ice, muddy gear and the awesome sunrises.

I look forward to hearing about the waterfowl adventure and be sure to post the pictures.

Enjoy the season my fellow waterfowl purist,,,speak the language and shoot straight.

DH

wow, nothing like trying to pass on a tradition that undoubtably someone helped each and everyone of you guys along the way learn how. Its ok though, we will just have to let the sport die with you guys and let the other side take controll of waterfowl hunting also!

Help the new guys out and pass the tradition along or we are all going to be in trouble soon.

tjm you should make sauge out of it come out alot better

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    good thing I like shooting flying liver.......I can shoot birds and you can glass for moose or something...I promise the moose won't mind the commotion one bit...

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    tjm you should make sauge out of it come out alot better
    I've never heard of that...is it something a guy can do at home easily?
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by superpa18173 View Post
    wow, nothing like trying to pass on a tradition that undoubtably someone helped each and everyone of you guys along the way learn how. Its ok though, we will just have to let the sport die with you guys and let the other side take controll of waterfowl hunting also!

Help the new guys out and pass the tradition along or we are all going to be in trouble soon.
    This thread has nothing to do with helping people new to the sport get into it. It is about providing too much information allowing the lazy Barneys to take over your favorite spots.

I am 100% self educated on duck hunting. The few areas I hunt were learned over the years by trial and error.

I don't have any problems helping someone get into the sport, and have provided some good info to some new guys for areas that I do not have the ability to hunt. I do have a problem with helping someone new to the area and then find them and their 10 buddies, who know nothing about duck hunting, taking over the area they were shown. I have learned that most of these guys don't even eat the few ducks they do kill. Luckily I have enough knowledge I can go to several spots and do fine no matter how many Barneys are where I would rather be.

Default Quid Pro Quo

superpa18173 you have a good point...but there's a big difference between helping someone get into the sport, and someone asking strangers for honey holes. Asking someone for honey holes is like asking someone how much they make...you don't do it....it's a manrule.

However, I've traded info with guys that want to hunt up here but can't practically scout this area, and visa versa....quid pro quo. If they come to the table with equal info and we can help each other out...why not. Even then, I don't give up or ask for favorite/private spots.

Frankly, I enjoy scouting, getting my equipment ready, going to the skeet range, and conditioning my awesome lab probably more than the hunting itself...I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast