Thread: where are the goats in Misty Fjords?

Default where are the goats in Misty Fjords?

my friend and I are looking at doing a goat hunt in Misty Fjords, probably based out of a Forest Service cabin. does anyone have any experience hunting there? If so, can you recommend good areas to hunt?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by brad1st View Post
    my friend and I are looking at doing a goat hunt in Misty Fjords, probably based out of a Forest Service cabin. does anyone have any experience hunting there? If so, can you recommend good areas to hunt?

Thanks in advance.
    Brad:

Best advice I could give would be to contact the local biologist at AF&G (Boyd Porter) and have him provide you a list of where the goats were harvested the last few years.

No too many guys are going to give up their honey holes for you.

Default the Misty

The Misty has a very high density of Mt Goat ... maybe one of the best anywhere. Also the unit 1a kill remains very low. Weather and cost of access are the main factors.

But most if not all of the Cabins are lower elevation mainly geared for fishing ... the most common method is to fly in to a mountain lake (weather permitting) and then climb up from there and set up camp ... then hunting from that high mountain camp. A few hunters hike from low elevation or even sea level ... but any way you choose to go about it will require lots of logistics planning.

Like KF suggests Boyd is a wealth of info.

I forgot one very important piece of information, call Johnnie at Muskeg
    Excursions. He'll get you on the goats.

Fly in, land, hike, glass, hike some more, glass some more, hike some more, shoot, then hike a lot more.

Try not to get lost and bring rain gear
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by brad
    where are the goats in the misties
    I have highlighted in orange the area I think you aught to concentrate your search effort for goats ....

ok.. enough funnin'. You received some good information and advice already so far. My ill fated map while a poor attempt at humor is somewhat serious. There are Goats all over the Misties. Muskeg was not joking about high densities. Talk to the biologist and get some more planning in the works. Do a search on here on on the rest of the internet and then post with some more (much more) specific questions.. and I suspect you will get a higher volume of and largely improved responses.

The green is the paved roads and brown the dirt roads. The wide green areas are parking.The white is just flat area. Oh yea the orange is strip malls

Default the Misty

hiking in from sea level can be challenging .... actually hiking in most places in the Misty can be challenging ...
    Attached Images Attached Images