Thread: Canning Fish

Default Canning Fish

I have some vacuum packed silvers from last year I want to can. I have heard that it is okay to do this and I have also heard that the fish won't taste very good unless you can it fresh. I have also heard that I should soak it in vinegar for about 10 minutes after it is thawed before canning it.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    I have some vacuum packed silvers from last year I want to can. I have heard that it is okay to do this and I have also heard that the fish won't taste very good unless you can it fresh. I have also heard that I should soak it in vinegar for about 10 minutes after it is thawed before canning it.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.
    i always froze mine prior to canning... for the simple reason... is winter is when i had time too... never any bad effect from it..

defiantly better with firmer salmons would not do it to pinks

all i did was thaw and allow to drain some... after a 10-15 min soak in salted water.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Canning fish that has been frozen for a year isn't going to do anything to improve it's flavor. I've never understood the suggestions that for fish that has been in a freezer for a year, smoke it or can it. If you don't find the fish palatable after a year in the freezer, you likely won't like the results after canning it or smoking it, you'll just have gone to alot of trouble to find out you still don't like the fish.

I have found that poaching fish does seem to help re-hydrate older fish and improve the texture.

We have canned year old fish before, mainly the last little bit in the spring to get it out of the freezer and make room for more. We usually add just a bit more salt than canning it fresh and it tastes just fine.

Just about everyone I know has frozen kippered salmon prior to canning it. Never affected the taste any.
    Now what ?

Smile can away...

I would lightly smoke it with apple or alder wood and can away. I have done it off and on for years.

Here's a download from the UAF Cooperative Extension Service on adding variety to home canned fish.

http://www.uaf.edu/ces/pubs/catalog/detail/?id=328

Here's the link to other UAF Cooperative Extension Service downloads on canning and other subjects. Some are free downloads and some you have to order for a fee.

http://www.uaf.edu/ces/pubs/catalog/...20and%20Health