Thread: Moose ammo amount?

Question Moose ammo amount?

I know there was something about the amount of ammo on a sheep or goat hunt and couldn't find it. I also thought that it might be interesting to see how much you take on your moose hunt. I was planning on taking1 box but then I got to thinking for those of us that are traveling great distances to get there that it might be a good idea to take 30 to allow a little extra for checking the zero and then if needed fixing it. What are your thought?

I usually take 1 box , plus 10 extra rounds I carry on my belt.

I need only ONE Cartridge, because when I crank open the cabin window..........I am carefull.......

Default more is better, if...

When I head up the Koyukuk moose hunting this year I will have about 40 rounds with me. I will have 4 in my rifles magazine, 4 in the butt stock carrier and 5 on a ammo slide on my belt, one in my right front pocket and 3 of the outer garments I am bringing have a 4 round ammo holder sewed on the out side of them so they are always there. A box of 20 will be on the boat. If I was carrying my ammo on a back pack hunt I doubt I would pack more then 16. When ever I head out for the day I usually have a dozen on me. I have never needed all that so I am evidently carrying to much. A lot of it depends on where your going and if your living out of a back pack. Scopes do fail so sighting in again is always a possibility. Another good reason for iron sights on the rifle.

Thumbs up

zero on my bow hunts... 7 to 10 ..( if i'm shooting ) single shot, and i bring back some ... along with a moose and a bear...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default about a hundred

but only if you are hunting near Pt. Hope and think the animals are sick. Don't worry it's subsistance. you need those 100 moose.

Opps shouldn't have shot that one, looks ill to me... better leave it here.

I remember on one sheep hunt I took 50 rounds of ammo, ended up using 5 of them on a bear that had bad intentions. I know 50 is a little extreme but I was glad I had them after that happened. Nowadays I usually take about 20 rounds, in case something happens with my scope I will have enough to resight my rifle.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well..... last year we shot about 700 times......223/06/270/300/338/45-70/ oh then there was the hand guns accuracy checks

out on my claim we can shoot out to 500 yards for play time. with a steel plate hanging on the other hill to ring...

i can honestly say... gun fire DOES NOT scare moose out of the country
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

My bullet pouch holds four rounds so I have one in the gun and three spare plus six in my handgun.

I take a whole box just cause I'm a piss poor offhand shot. Shooting sticks or a treelimb are awesome.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I usually take a box and a half of ammo on a trip. I use the half box from recent sighting in at the range. I think that I bring the other box just in case. Honestly I have never shot more than twice on a trip.

I take 3 in the magazine and 10 in my pack and I think that might be a bit much, but I am usually within a hours walk of my truck.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I usually take about 20 or so. I keep them in different places though. Some in the boat, some in camp and about 10 with me. It also helps that a hunting buddy shoots a 300 win mag as well, if not the same ammo.

I take 30 rounds, just so that I can re-sight my rifle should something happen.

Default More is better if you can handle the weight

I used to bring 15 rounds until a trip to Raspberry island. I checked my zero with three rounds on day 1, I used one round on a deer on day 2. While packing the deer down an icy hill I fell. I did not think it would affect the rifle as I have dropped it much harder and not affected the zero. The next day my partner shot a deer and it was still up I emptied my rifle trying to put it down missing every shot. So I went to the beach and checked I was 20 inches off at 100 yds. By the time I was on zero I had three rounds left. For the last two days I had to borrow a rifle.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default I'm with BAR300

100 rounds sound right, ~~LOL!!~~ but only when Im cutting off the heads to show I'm a mighty hunter, but dont worry, its sport hunting, around a big city and I only shoot rutting animals, so no one can eat them anyway.
    Thats when Im out with my 500.+P+ Nitro belted super magnum express ~~LOL!!~~

THAT, folks, who have no humor, is a joke. Those Point Hope creeps shouldnt even stand near real hunters, least of all claim to be one.

Honestly, I hunt for extended periods, and two box's of shells will do, untill I get home.

If you do your part and put it in the right place, it should take only one, but a follow up isnt a bad idea or a mercy shot for them that are down, 2 is good.

Its better to burn twenty getting on sight and hunt with 20 than to take 40 with a rifle ya dont know.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Ammo is your freind on a hunting trip. Ammo means you can not only hunt but kill to survive if things go bad. You can also signal with it as well if need be.

Default nice input

I do know my rifle and can shoot sub groups with it. Some may remember that I'm a retired Marine and I'm always thinking about murphy's law and like to be prepared for all contingencies. Seems like the general concensus is that between 20 to 30 rounds would be appropriate. I too believe that it should only take 1 round and God willing that's what will happen. Thanks again to all of the members for the help and advice over the years.

Default maybe I need to rethink

Wow, I am thinking I need to carry more. On my first flyout My outfitter told me to bring 2 boxes. I used 3 shells. That is including checking zero. All my other trips (fly outs and hikeing off the road system) I brought 1 box or a few shells less. I have always been a little worred about so little ammo but did so to save weight. I have 18 rounds packed for next Wed. the 19th flight. I am re-thinking it now. I use hand loaded 225 gr. .338 loades.