Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Reds in Cornelius Lake

  1. #1
    Member Laker Taker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    433

    Default Reds in Cornelius Lake

    I was wondering if anyone knows how Reds are getting into Cornelius Lake off of Bogard Road. I have seen them in there for the last two years. I just dont ever remember seeing them in there prior to that. Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows how Reds are getting into Cornelius Lake off of Bogard Road. I have seen them in there for the last two years. I just dont ever remember seeing them in there prior to that. Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention.
    Bucket Biology. Just about everyone down around Valdez has a run of Silvers coming back to their little trickle. It don't take much to get it started, two buckets of eggs and one spawning male milked all over them. Lots of Fish Farmers down there.

    Or, there is a creek leading from the lake.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    bogard road would mean either wasilla creek or cottonwood creek reds. both creeks have many small runoff tributaries coming from lakes, beaver ponds, etc. walk the shoreline and find it, and ill bet in springtime when the smolt depart the lake, should be excellent fishing for trout, if there is any in that lake.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    bogard road would mean either wasilla creek or cottonwood creek reds. both creeks have many small runoff tributaries coming from lakes, beaver ponds, etc. walk the shoreline and find it, and ill bet in springtime when the smolt depart the lake, should be excellent fishing for trout, if there is any in that lake.
    Cornelius Lake is at the headwaters of Cottonwood Creek. Those are wild red salmon coming there to spawn. They have been coming there for years. The creek goes into Wasilla Lake, then Mud Lake, then Cottonwood Lake, then Lower Niklason Lake, then Niklason Lake and on up to Cornelius Lake and further than that. There are a lot of little branches too.

    I sold a house to a 70 plus year old man about 10 years ago. He was retiring to Alaska from the lesser 48 and wanted to be on Cottonwood Creek. He would not look at any house that wasn't on Cottonwood Creek. His story was that his first job when he was 19 was to spend all summer on Cottonwood Creek blowing up beaver dams. He and one other guy spent the whole summer there way back when...The reds were running all the way to Cornelius Lake then.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

  5. #5
    Member Laker Taker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    433

    Default

    I guess that I just wasn't paying close enough attention. Thanks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •