Thread: Rescue mission near Skwentna

Default Rescue mission near Skwentna

I went with a buddy this morning to help out another friend that broke down in his boat just below Skwentna on the Yentna. I could not belive we got the 24' pig on step!
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow impressive. I think i saw that duckworth when i was leaving friday evening as he was just launching.... whats the stats on your boat?

I just have a small block with a 212 in my boat. We took a buddys on the rescue mission. He has a 23' TJ with an 8.1 and a 212. We burned almost 100 galons of gas. That was some pretty hard running!

hehe wow.... 350$ fuel bill. Atleast it makes for an fun adventure, and glad everything worked out ok. Nothing worse than being standed with no power hours away from the nearest launch, been there, done that.

Ive got an identical boat to yours Laker, Only its green, and by the looks of your hard top, im guessing your boat has the 6 1/2 bottum. Mine is only a 6' bottum. Beautiful boat bud. Ill post some pics of mine someday.

Looks like all went well but one suggestion. When going to tow on step make sure your towed boat is back off your jet wash. You run the possibility of the towed boat riding up on the wash and over the wake causing a flip. I give this suggestion from 1st hand experience. I watched the towed boat flip and I then became the rescuer as the towing boat now had a 1000 pound anchor attached to it's stern.

Default boat towing hazard

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Looks like all went well but one suggestion. When going to tow on step make sure your towed boat is back off your jet wash. You run the possibility of the towed boat riding up on the wash and over the wake causing a flip. I give this suggestion from 1st hand experience. I watched the towed boat flip and I then became the rescuer as the towing boat now had a 1000 pound anchor attached to it's stern.
    I'm trying to envision what happened. Does the boat that is towed too closely begin to track left or right, ride up on one of the wake swells, and then roll under tension from the towing boat? Or, does the towed boat react somehow with the wake by pitching down so that its bow goes under? Does the jet wash of the towing boat fill the open bow of the towed boat and force the towed boat's bow down? Does having a particular kind of towing bridal prevent this hazard?

Picture is kind of decieving. Towed boat was 10 feet behind jet wash. We messed around with tow rope lengths, this one seemed to work the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    Picture is kind of decieving. Towed boat was 10 feet behind jet wash. We messed around with tow rope lengths, this one seemed to work the best.

I didn't think it was on the wash but it looked close. Generally a little longer rope works better then shorter.

As far as the jet wash rollover. I am not really sure what the full cause was but as I remember it.......the tow boat throttled up and the wash wave was pretty big, kind of like that wave you get when not quite on step, the towed boat went up on the wash and then veered right and then it continued over on to it's side pitching the folks into the water. It did appear like the boat had dug in when it had come down off the wake. Either way it was almost a quick snap roll.

didn't it take two boats to get that duck on step?