Thread: Cleaning a rifle

Default Cleaning a rifle

So, I was taught that solvent application could be done from the muzzle end but in general, brushes and jags went from breech-to-muzzle. What's the proper cleaning procedure for a lever action where you can't get a straight push from the breech end?

I clean mine with a 45 caliber bore snake. Its really easy to use and I'm not overly concerned about getting every last molecule of copper out of my short range lever gun.

Stick the rod in and screw on the brush is easy enough. A string tied to the brush will work and generaly it ain't hard to just take the bolt out.That all said folks have been cleaning bores from the muzzel end a couple hundred more years than from the breach end.Main thing is to not push junk into the action and stuffing a rag into it solves that problem

this is a great question, as lever rifles have been assumed inaccurate for years. recently, with renewed interest and better ammunition they have been shown to be as accurate as many off the shelf bolt rifles.

that said:

buy a brass muzzle guide (brownells, midway, sportsmans guide or local shop) which will protect your crown. multiple passes with an unprotected rod can (read will) damage the crown and contribute to accuracy problems.

good luck!
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post

buy a brass muzzle guide (brownells, midway, sportsmans guide or local shop) which will protect your crown. multiple passes with an unprotected rod can (read will) damage the crown and contribute to accuracy problems.

!

Great advice as usual.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    this is a great question, as lever rifles have been assumed inaccurate for years. recently, with renewed interest and better ammunition they have been shown to be as accurate as many off the shelf bolt rifles.

that said:

good luck!
    x2 on the good info. Gave ya some rep!!

On Marlins open your bolt half way. Take out lever screw. Pull bolt out. Shake rifle off to side to remove ejector. Clean from breech end. Put ejector back in ejector slot. Slide bolt halfway in. Put lever in. Replace screw.

Default Bore snake

I agree with Seant on the bore snake. My BLR cleans beautifully with a snake, and no worries about the crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    On Marlins open your bolt half way. Take out lever screw. Pull bolt out. Shake rifle off to side to remove ejector. Clean from breech end. Put ejector back in ejector slot. Slide bolt halfway in. Put lever in. Replace screw.
    Good info since I'm going to buy a Marlin and didn't know how to take the bolt out!

Default +1 Remove the bolt...

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Good words, of course. I do clean my 1895 from the breech end. If I'd remembered, "Slide bolt halfway in", then my first cleaning would have been simpler .

Here's a pretty good YouTube video on the Marlin 336 demonstrating bolt removal and replacement key points well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAP707phaao

Wildalaska might have some additional comments/pointers.