Thread: Shrock Rd salmon?

Default Shrock Rd salmon?

Anyone know if the salmon travel as far up the Li'L Susitna to Shrock Rd in any numbers? Yes, I know one can travel down to Burma Landing where many of 'em are caught but am considering to fish it upstream if it is worthwhile.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

other then the fact that for years salmon fishing closed at the parks hwy.. i am not sure the current reg but dont think it changed....

but to answer your question... they go well past there. our farm was at the END of N shushana.. five miles... back in the 70's it was mile two.. welsh road off of 7 mile Fishhook... until the river ate the bridge there. the kings chums and slivers made that run and beyond every year...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

by the time salmon hit the parks bridge, they are in pretty bad shape! not to mention it is closed upstream of the parks for salmon, as well as all the other parks highway streams. grab your fly rod and try for trout.

To answer you question yes they go up that far and beyond. I have seen both Kings and Silvers as far as the Motherlode Lodge. Fishing for salmon above the Parks Hwy Bridge is illegal, even catch and release. It's called harassment of spawning salmon. Trust me if caught you will get a ticket.

Illegal and a very bad idea. The salmon spawn in that area, and they are inedible and have no fight after traveling that far upstream anyway. You can place a sure-bet on getting a ticket if you even go near that part of the river with a salmon-rod. You'll have to fish downstream of the Parks Hwy. bridge if you want to catch legal-salmon in the Little-Su.
    good luck,
    -J

Thank you for the replies. I need to get back to my map here! I thought Shrock was downstream of the Parks Hwy bridge. Parks bridge is outside of Houston, on the north side. I was thinking "north/south" and didn't recognize the river bend. Shrock is actually East of Parks Highway and upstream of it. Thank you...My cousin just confirmed it too! In addition I believed the river ran parallel to the Parks Hwy, from both of these bridges, and that is not the case! Again, thank you all for the excellent info. I truly apprieciate it.

(Yeah, for all the ladies here: this guy actually will pull over to a gas station and ask for directions! )