Thread: Port Lions Lodge

Default Port Lions Lodge

Hey good people....I just stumbled upon this site a couple days ago and am seeking advice. Last month my father in law surprised me with the opportunity to go on a fishing trip at Port Lions Lodge, Kodiak Island. I love fishing and have never been to Alaska before, so I could not pass it up. I live in Charleston, SC so this type of fishing and weather is new to me. I just purchased a set of chest waders and gloves. I'm still looking for a rain suit, and from what I've read...I will need a good one. Any recommendations for a good rain suit? I've read that the Helly Hansen Impertech II is a good one, but wasn't sure if a zip up jacket would be better than that pullover jacket. Again, this is all new to me so if you all can pass along some gear, packing, and overall general tips....I would be very thankful.

Also, does anyone have any experience with Port Lions Lodge or the general area? Just trying to get an idea on what to expect. Again, I'm a ROOKIE to Alaska and am looking for any advice you all are willing to share. We will be in Kodiak on 8/29, Port Lions from 8/30 - 9/05 with one more day to spend in Kodiak on 9/06. Really excited about this trip and appreciate any tips, advice, suggestions, etc you all are willing to share. Thanks!

Sixth_Gear

Marmot bay is a cool place. Have fun. As for rain gear grundens, guy cotton, helly hansen all make good stuff. I'm sure it rains in SC rain gear from the east keeps you dry the same as in the north.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default re

No doubt you will have an experience of a lifetime with Port Lions Lodge. I know the lodge and the people who run it. I have nothing bad to say about them and their operation. They have good facilities and top notch boats. As for rain gear, stay away from goretex and fabric type raingear, especially Rivers West. I would recommend anything rubber ... Helly Hansen, grundens, guy cotton are the types of rain gear you want.

Port Lions Lodge is a class act. Family run and family oriented. They go out of their way for your ease and comfort, meanwhile providing fishing based on 30 years or so of experience on those waters. Nice clean facilities and gear. Only "bad" news is that you should go on a diet now. You're going to gain weight at their table, guarandamteed!

Good to hear that about Port Lions Lodge. The pictures on the website look unreal. I believe this is my wife's uncle's second trip to Port Lions Lodge. He said it was first class all the way. Anyway, I can't wait! Thanks for the replies and suggestions on the gear.

Ditto on the diet, been there and done that. With out a doubt a first class act here. The last I knew they have 2 full time guides, both first class. We met Brett last year for the first time, he is without a doubt one of the most knowledgeable most experienced person for his young age that I have ever met. Ask them to share some bear hunting stories with you that is always interesting. I was there that very week last year and the fishing was fantastic. But remember fishing is fishing and not always catching. But I guarantee you will have an experience you will never forget. Tell Steve that Jim from Ohio said to take you to the honey hole. He will know exactly where I am talking about. Also if time allows rent a car and drive around the road system and you will see some of the most beautiful country God ever created. Also they dont do tours anymore but you can watch the Coast Guard planes and helicopters from the road by the base and thats worth the price of admission.Bear watching is also great while driving the road system. We spent 2 weeks there, one fishing the road system the other @ the lodge. All I can say is I am ready to go back. Every trip I have been fortunate enough to make to Alaska has been that of a lifetime. Good luck and have a great time.

I own the Rivers West jacket and it works fine for hunting though the zippers are showing wear. It dries out fast, is light and keeps me warm but for fishing I’d recommend Gore-Tex like Simms and or the usual suspects already mentioned, Helly, Grundens, Etc. Problem with the rubber is I’m not into sweating like a condom but you’re on a boat so it’s not like you’re running a marathon and Gor-Tex is expensive.

Consider thin layered gloves to protect from the wind, and dress in thin layers to monitor warmth, preferable not cotton and whatever you do, don't go barefooted! And...don't forget a hat.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Thanks again for the replies, suggestions and advice fellas! I fly out this Saturday and cannot freaking wait!! I have a feeling I'm going to be worthless at work this week...haven't been able to stop thinking about this trip for a while now!

Jim, I'll be sure to mention the honey hole to Steve and ask for some bear stories too. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to rent a car and travel the road system. Guess we'll save it for the next trip!

Also, I have a pretty long layover (7 hours) in Houston on the way back. My total travel time (assuming & praying for no delays) is 27 hours. Does anyone have any experience with shipping fish via Island Seafood in Kodiak? I'm going to call them and double check, but it seems like it'd be easiest to just have them ship my fish back for me? With the baggage fees, my long layover, etc....just seems to make more sense to ship it. We are staying at the Best Western in Kodiak for one night before we leave, so I thought I could just take my fish over to them for shipment. Any thoughts, suggestions on that?

Tdelarm - don't worry, I'll only barefoot fish down here in the South! I saw that thread & picture, ouch!! Thanks again guys for the advice, etc.

-Sixth_Gear

I lived in kodiak for 13 years and have worked in the lodge business as a guide and have only heard great things about the lodge. Never been there myself but have had many visitors recommend it.

I also work at the airport now and in terms of shipping it depends on how much fish you have but i would lean toward shipping it. If you don't have much fish it's still cheaper just to ship as baggage for example if you had one bag and one fish box at 50 pounds it will be 40 bucks on alaska air to get it to your final destination. However if you have say 1 bag and 4 boxes then your talking 190 in baggage fees.

Also the airlines in alaska do a great job with fish because well we see a ton of it come through as baggage and cargo but I can't say the same for places like houston or miami that don't see it like we do. I would hate for your fish sitting outside in 100 degree heat in houston! Also if you ship fish you can have it insured for spoilage, if you ship as baggage the airlines are only liable for loss not spoilage.