Thread: Capping a moose, Splitting lips, nose, ect....

Default Capping a moose, Splitting lips, nose, ect....

Until now I have always just carried the entire head and cape to the taxidermist. This fall I will be doing a 10 day float hunt and my taxidermist suggested that due to the length of time the cape may be in the field to go a head and split the lips, ears, eyelids and nose. Having never done this I am looking for tips and techniques that will help me in the field and hopefully keep me from having to turn my shoulder mount in to a European...

thanks in advance.

Default Splitting Lips

Hello, ducks and dogs!
    On a float hunt; I had taken a moose on opening day and had to care for the cape for 12 days, I just removed excess meat and fat, then simply salted a couple of times. over a few days, no hair slippage or problems. (Let excess water drain between salting).
    Here’s a web link with lots of helpful information about caping and field care, doesn’t say much about splitting lips or nose but I never needed to.
    I hope this helps! “Good Luck, On Your Hunt”
    http://www.biggamebags.com/Field_Tips.html

Wilderness Taxidermy http://www.pristineventures.com/prod...lications.html

On a 10 day, especially if you get a bull early in the hunt, I would certainly consider turning the lips, ears and eyes. Better to do it and not take the chance of the hair slipping. Yes its work and will take time but you don't want to lose the cape if you can do anything to prevent it.

I have asked the same thing at one time or another . I finally went to my taxi and he showed me . I know do all my own as it has saved me some $ in the long run .

good luck this season .

calvin L

Default Hey thanks alot.....

I'm going to check out the video you suggested as well as bug the hell out of my taxidermist until he just gives me a hands on lesson.

Thanks again for all your help.

Default Wilderness Taxidermy Video

We carry the Wilderness Taxidermy video on this site as well. Larry did a great job on it; the only thing they missed was splitting the eyelids (sometimes necessary on warmer-weather hunts), and splitting the dewlap on a moose. The dewlap is easy to miss if you're not paying attention. Make sure you catch that or you could end up with a moose without a dewlap.

Great video!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay