Thread: Two Silvers and One Red

Default Two Silvers and One Red

So we were at Jim Creek today and the question came up whether you could catch your two silvers and then continue fishing as long as you released any silvers you caught and only kept a red. Well one guy said that as soon as you caught two silvers you had to stop all fishing. However, we looked at the regs and it says three per day of which only two may be silvers. Nowhere did i see that it said you had to stop after two silvers. I assume you can keep fishing as long as your third fish is a red. Once you caught and kept a red then you would have to stop fishing. Anyways, just curious if anyone knows for sure what the regs are on this. Thanks.

To make sure you get it right, the best thing to do would be call F&G and ask them directly.

Regs say page 34. Three salmon per day, three in possession. Only two per day, two in possession may be silver.

FISH ON!!! *

*Check your local F&G for complete answers

My guide said it's two silvers and you're done. He said it's because if you catch another silver and it's bleeding, it has to come into the boat.

However he said if your first or second fish was a red, then it was OK to keep fishing.

YMMV
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    My guide said it's two silvers and you're done. He said it's because if you catch another silver and it's bleeding, it has to come into the boat.

However he said if your first or second fish was a red, then it was OK to keep fishing.

YMMV
    Find a new guide 'cause he's wrong!

Default play on the safe side

I would stop fishing or feel really crappy if i had to release an all but dead silver because i was rolling the dice. Its personall fishing ethics is what it boils down to and its just like these guys that go out on boats and fillet there fish before they get to the dock where people can see those werent 3 reds and 3 silvers. I fillet on the boat but dont have a problem if i was to be checked, i want my kids to learn that these are resources and we should just do the right thing and be able to tell a true fish story rather than have to lie about what we caught, which is just not as fun.

Not sure if the rules are the same as the Kenai, but if they're not, then they should be... Here, you must stop fishing after keeping two silvers. I'd imagine the regulations are the same up there.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

on the little su once you take your two silvers you are done, as far as I know C&R is allowed everywhere else
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Per the regs (pg. 34) there is no stipulation that you can't keep fishing after catching your bag limit of "other salmon". The Little Su regs clearly states that as an exception, but Jim Creek does not.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default I'd ask the pros

The Fish Creek section also says: "A person who takes a bag limit of salmon from Fish Creek may not fish for any species of fish in waters open to salmon fishing on that same day."

It could be argued that when you keep your second silver you have officially "filled a bag limit" for silvers and should stop fishing. I'd call the enforcers for a clarification before taking the chance.

John
    Last edited by John_Pennell; 08-10-2009 at 05:07. Reason: Stupidity
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."

Default He's RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    Maybe wrong by letter of law (reg book) but Definately right morally. Silvers like to scarf a hook. Sounds like a good guide to me. First time I've ever said that.

Default Show me

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    Not sure if the rules are the same as the Kenai, but if they're not, then they should be... Here, you must stop fishing after keeping two silvers. I'd imagine the regulations are the same up there.
    Show where it says you must stop fishing! I know it does say that in some areas when KING fishing, but rarely I'm sure for silvers. Again, show me in writing. The regs are different in many areas so whats good for the pen, isnt necessarily whats good for the interior,,ect., etc. Shouldnt we all be carrying a copy of the regs in our packs when we go out so we can answer our own questions (before taking that first cast)?

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    Maybe wrong by letter of law (reg book) but Definately right morally. Silvers like to scarf a hook. Sounds like a good guide to me. First time I've ever said that.

Start a new thread on whether it is moral or not. I'm just answering the guys question on whether he can keep fishing legally based on the what the regs say or in this case don't say.

Default confusion about the regs

The fella on Jim Creek was confused about the extent of some regulations. As AKPm stated, on the Little Su you may not continue fishing after retaining (keeping) two silvers. This also applies to Fish Creek, Cottonwood, Wasilla, and Rabbit Slough. Those are both exceptions that apply to those fisheries only; in the general regs you are allowed to keep fishing even with a full bag limit in hand. The wording in the regs follows: "A person who takes a bag limit of salmon from X Creek may not fish for any species of fish in waters open to salmon fishing on that same day." The reg pages are 34 and 35. If not specified under exceptions, then you MAY keep fishing after you have a bag limit.

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    I guess I should have been more clear. When we fish the Little Su with a guide, it's always two silvers and you're done.

You have to undersatnd that the guide can have anywhere between 2 to 5 people on his boat. Sometimes two trips a day. That's a lot of fish that might be caught and need to be released, especialy if they are bleeding.

I'd rather error on the side of caution, not to mention as slow as the runs have been lately, releasing fish that are bleeding is not a good idea.

This part is for the guides: you guys need to hammer your state reps, and the fish and game reps, remember, no fish = no fisherman.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Willphish4food is correct. There is a very upset young man that was fishing Fish Creek on Sunday. He had caught two silvers and was continuing fishing, trying for a red. Trooper came by and now the young man is going to be poorer by $250.00. It is evidently considered catching your limit once the two silvers are caught.

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys. It looks like there is some confusion on the issue. I normally catch my two silvers and end up calling it quits anyways but there were definitely a few reds in there and the issue came up and I didn't know the right answer. I think as far as the regs go though, that it does appear that you are allowed to keep fishing at Jim Creek or other areas unless otherwise specified (e.g., little su, fish creek). I'll probably take the first guy's advice and call ADF&G anyways just to get a once and final answer. If anyone beats me to it, post your answer on here so we can clear it up once and for all.