Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06' Rancher Tire-Upgrade

Default 06' Rancher Tire-Upgrade

I've just about run the life out of the stock tires on my 06' Rancher, thinking about going up one size to 25" mud-lites. Anyone have an opinion positive or negative, or thoughts on other tires? I ride about 50/50 mud/trail, and I would like better puncture-resistance and better mud-performance than the stock tires.

I am also wondering if going-up an inch taller on the Rancher is a bad idea? I think it has plenty of power to spin them, but I'm not sure about drivetrain wear. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    -J

ITP Mud Lite tires are great tires. I have had two different wheelers with them. Another good tire to check out are STI Mud Tracks. I just put a set on my wife's Foreman. They seem to work really good. As far as the wear and tear, I dont think you will have to worry about it with 25s.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    ITP Mud Lite tires are great tires. I have had two different wheelers with them. Another good tire to check out are STI Mud Tracks. I just put a set on my wife's Foreman. They seem to work really good. As far as the wear and tear, I dont think you will have to worry about it with 25s.
    +1
    Love the Mudlites on my '96 honda fourtrax. Also have mudlite XTRs on the '09 Ranger and cannot complain whatsoever. Great in mud, small rock and can paddle a floating rig across small ponds.

Default ITP Mud Lites

I have 3 wheelers and they all have Mud Lites and they all have more than enough traction, you will be upset that you did not get them sooner. As for puncture protection I use Green Slim in all of my wheelers and I will be putting it into my meat trailer tires also.

Later
    Moose

Mudlites rule! They will take you places your stock tires only dreamed about.

The wife...

AMH
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Thanks for all the input everbody, now I just need to get my new tires put on before the 25th!

Thanks Again!
    -J

My old man has run Mudlites for the last couple of years but recently discovered a weak point- the side walls. Both of us hit the same rock on a trail in Eureka. My stock tires bounced off- his Mudlite punctured in three different spots on the sidewall. He did some internet research and discovered that this is actually a common problem with the Mudlites.

I'm going with ITP 589's (which are due to come in today) and he's going to upgrade to Maxxis Zilla's. We'll do a comparison and should have a pretty good idea which is the best mud tire by the time we wear these out.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I think you are going to love your 589's reading your post's. They are hard to beat unless you run alot of very smooth trails as they ride rougher on a smooth surface. Great in mud and very tough to puncture them. I haven't been around the Zilla's so I can not comment on them...

The only flaw I have found with the 589's is the weight, the tread and toughness is great with these tires but if you don't have a fairly good sized engine they can be hard to turn on the thick mud. Second the rough riding on the trails but that's to be expected with these tires. I had some on a little 300 Honda 4x4 and I could go just about anywhere with them but I did lose some power with them.

Default You got the power!

Go 2" above the stock tire size, you will never regret it unless you are like my brother and weigh 350 #.! And he could have left them on but always wanted more and put on a performance kit and what a fiasco! Then REALLY aggreasive tires to make up for the performance kit, so whats the point?
    Shift that sucker down and go for it! The ITP mud and snow with the heavy solid lug are the best that I have found so far. The mud-lites puncture too easily and are not ice screw friendly! Of course this may not matter to you if you are a fair weather rider, but when the trails and hills are icy, ice screws keep you on the trails! Do what you think your pocket book and common sense thinks is best. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, guys. We do ride more mud and rough trails than anything, but we also went with the same size as my stock tires for my 589's and they come with the shorter lugs than if I'd gone taller so it was a compromise for me to get a good mud tire but also what should be a decent riding tire. The Grizz I ride is a 700 so should have plenty of power.

They came in today, so I'm stoked. I want to get them mounted up this week and hit Pinochle. I am expecting a completely different experience from our last ride. The section between hills was one mud hole after another and my worn out stock tires were nothing but slicks. Can't wait to see the difference on these!

We're not fair weather riders- we'll ride in anything including snow and ice. Went and did Beringer pass last fall after the ground was frozen and about 6" of snow on the ground and it was a great ride because we weren't sinking in mud. Did the same last year on Pinochle once- early fall where the ground was freezing overnight but thawing during the day on the top layer. Getting all the way back was easy- getting out had a bit more challenge to it, especially the big hill.

Once the snow gets deep, we switch to snow machines.

"If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Exclamation Tire Size - Caution!

I went from 25" stock tires on my 05 Honda Foreman, to 27" ITP 589's this spring. My 4wheeler is a now a monster to drive. You will lose a little power. In fact, I was thinking about going to a rig with power steering.

I spend a fair amount of time surfing the ATV thread, and MOST guys suggest only going to 26", if you are going with a larger tire. Now that I have a couple months and 100 miles on these tires, I do agree with not going too large. On my next set of tires, I am either going back to 25" or 26" at most.

If you want more clearance, you may be able to get a lift kit which may add 1-2 inches of clearance. The downside is sharper angles on your drive train, and more wear and tear.

My 05 Rancher seems to turn the 25" Mudlites just fine. No complaints so far. They are a huge improvement over stock tires. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Ready for Pinochle

This is my ride with the new ITP 589 mud tires and rims just installed yesterday. Almost too pretty to get dirty but I'll get over that.

Pinochle this weekend!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    This is my ride with the new ITP 589 mud tires and rims just installed yesterday. Almost too pretty to get dirty but I'll get over that.

Pinochle this weekend!
    Looks very nice! Tell Keith I ordered the Zilla's for our machines. Should be here next week. Have fun on your trip this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin14 View Post
    Looks very nice! Tell Keith I ordered the Zilla's for our machines. Should be here next week. Have fun on your trip this weekend!
    I'll tell him. He sent me the weight ratings and I was surprised to learn the Zilla's actually weigh less than the Mudlites. That seems to be a well kept secret.

My 589's weigh less than his Mudlites because I stayed with the stock 25" height. If I'd gone up to the 26" the lugs get deeper and it would have added 26 lbs to the total weight, so I think I got a good compromise tire. They do weigh more than the Zilla's though- those are a light tire. I was surprised.

Let us know when you guys want to go riding again!

Yeah, the weight of the Zillas is what helped make my decision. I just hope they don't end up being too puncture-prone.

We'll definitely let you know when we're available. The next couple of weekends are definitely out.

We are planning an over-night trip up at Eureka the weekend of Sept 18. Danielle and I will be bringing our boys and friends of ours plan on bring their son and daughter. We're thinking of just setting up the RVs right there in the big parking lot, but we may go further back. (I'm not sure how far I want to drag that 38ft Raptor back there.) Anyway, you guys are more than welcome to join us. It'll be a pretty tame weekend as far as riding goes, since we'll have the kids, but it should be a good time nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin14 View Post
    Yeah, the weight of the Zillas is what helped make my decision. I just hope they don't end up being too puncture-prone.

We'll definitely let you know when we're available. The next couple of weekends are definitely out.

We are planning an over-night trip up at Eureka the weekend of Sept 18. Danielle and I will be bringing our boys and friends of ours plan on bring their son and daughter. We're thinking of just setting up the RVs right there in the big parking lot, but we may go further back. (I'm not sure how far I want to drag that 38ft Raptor back there.) Anyway, you guys are more than welcome to join us. It'll be a pretty tame weekend as far as riding goes, since we'll have the kids, but it should be a good time nonetheless.
    I meant Petersville, not Eureka.

Petersville is one area we have not ridden in the summer. Love it in the winter, though. What's it like in the summer? From what I've read here, it sounds like it's only riding on the road? Can you give me more info?

Default I'm jealous

Hey Martin14! I just couldn't convince myself to fork out the money for a new set of Zilla Tiresright now. So I went ahead and bought 2 mudlites so that I had tires up front with even tread. Hated to do it, but it was definitely cheaper.

My next set will most likely be the Zillas. I'm really leaning on going with the 27" tires. I saw a post recently that a guys 27" Zillas measured out at 26 1/4" and they weigh less than my current 26" Mudlites.

PS...Congrats on the wedding!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast