Thread: old decoys

Default old decoys

I am new to duck hunting and have a bunch of old flambeau decoys (plastic). My question is...is there a good way to re-paint them...and if so what kind of paint should I use?

Quote Originally Posted by dan66 View Post
    I am new to duck hunting and have a bunch of old flambeau decoys (plastic). My question is...is there a good way to re-paint them...and if so what kind of paint should I use?
    Try going to http://www.refugeforums.com/ and ask in the decoy forums. You should get a lot of good info there.

Go to either Cabela's or Mack's Prairie Wings websites and get a paint kit. You'll be set.

Default try the link below

Try your best, but don't worry about being to detailed. If the birds have gotten close enough to scrutinize your repaint job they should be doing the backstroke on the pond anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by dan66 View Post
    I recycle a lot of decoys... I prefer automotive paint via airbrush due to the paint is harder since its mixed (ie you mix) with hardener. You can buy about 6 of the quart cans of the popular colors and be able to do about 100 decoys. Air brushes us small amounts of paint and if you spray and 45 degree angles over the decoys texture it creates a lot of shadows that give a realistic look ten times better then when the decoy was new.

I only get about 2 repaints on flambeau decoys before they just become unrepairable water traps though. I usually paint all my decoys every other year.
    Hope that helps