Thread: 10-Day Brown Bear Hunt Equipment List

Default 10-Day Brown Bear Hunt Equipment List

I’m going on 10-day brown bear hunt and fly-fishing expedition in SW Alaska in late September with my father and guided by an anonymous guy named Dennis. For anyone who is bored enough to look at my list below, and has any good advice regarding anything I should add or delete, I much appreciate it. My 68 year old father coming along (the main purpose for this trip) and bringing my 300 Win Mag and most of his own stuff. He’s a little smaller than me, but can wear my clothes if necessary. Thus, the context for, and my goal in, the list below is to bring a few extra layers and things to help ensure that he does not get unnecessarily cold or wet, which would really ruin my year.

URBAN CLOTHES
    Two changes of clothes for second leg of trip and return.
    Light Hiking Boots (I wear these around the house and are super comfy, so they will be my camp shoes, and a backup pair of boots, if a or my guide bear eats my main ones).

782 (DEUCE) GEAR - Cartridge belt/H-harness (on while hunting)

Front Chest Pouch (Eberlestock A2MP MultiPack: http://www.eberlestock.com/A2MP%20MultiPouch.htm):
    Binos (10x42 Geovids)

L-F Pouch: Gloves
    Headlamp
    Map(s)
    Sunglasses
    Toilette Paper

R-F Pouch: Chapstick
    Cigars
    Emergency Food: (Cliff Bars)
    Water Purification Tablets

L-M Pouch: Camera
    Compass
    Knife

R-M Pouch: .340 Wby Cartridges

L-R Pouch: Reserve gear bag w/ zip lock inside containing:
    AAA batteries (3):
    Box of waterproof matches (REI)
    Headlamp (extra)
    Insect repellent
    Lighters (2)
    Lighter fluid

R-R Pouch: Cigars

Canteen Pouches (2) w/ full 1-liter bottles

Fanny Pack: First aid kit – small (incl. a few Excedrin & Tums)
    Rain Jacket (strapped on the back)
    Rain Pants
    Fleece Cap
    Insulated/Waterproof Gloves
    Fleece top
    Baclava
    On Harness: Whistle

PACK (https://www.forceonetactical.com/product_info.php?products_id=150)
    Waders (Neos River Trekker)
    Extra layers, etc…
    Poncho (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45)

WATERPROOF BAGS
    1 regular: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20075-cat603592-cat602714&id=0031809516858a&navCount=4&podId=00318 09&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogC ode=XK&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat602714&hasJS=tr ue

1 Large: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20075-cat603592-cat602714&id=0031809516859a&navCount=6&podId=00318 09&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogC ode=XK&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat602714&hasJS=tr ue

OTHER GEAR
    Sleeping Bag (-30 deg; in compression sack)
    Book

Playing cards (52)
    Food: Energy bars (10), jerky
    Hunting Clothing:

Layers:
    4 pants (ExOfficio Nio Amphi)
    4 shirts (North Face synthetic button down)
    10 underwear/t-shirts
    10 Smart Wool socks/liners
    Jacket Liner (insulated)
    Fleece vest
    3 lightweight Smart Wool/synthetic tops &bottoms
    2 mid-weight Smart Wool/synthetic tops &bottoms
    Synthetic Insulated top & bottom (only for back at camp if, for some reason I get really cold/wet)

Rain:
    3-GoreTex jackets & pants (a mix of Sitka Nimbus; Marmot; North Face; Cabela’s Alaskan Guide)
    GoreTex brimmed hat
    Waterproof gloves (insulated) with liners
    Waterproof gloves (uninsulated)

Other:
    Boots (Cabela's Winter 800 Hunting Boot by Meindl)
    Gaiters
    Work gloves
    Two boxes of ammo (Cor-Bon 225-gr TTSX loads)

Gun Cleaning Kit:
    .338 and .308 brushes (dad will be using my 300 WM)
    gun oil
    patches
    rod
    solvent

Hygiene Bag:
    Ear plugs
    Deodorant
    Lip balm
    Liquid camping soap
    Pills [Ibuprofen, Excedrin, vitamins, Tums]
    Toilet paper
    Toothbrush & paste
    Washcloth
    Wet-wipes
    Laundry Bag [mesh]
    Pillow

Reserve gear bag:
    AAA batteries (9)
    Bags [6 trash & 6 large zip lock]
    Boxes of waterproof matches (REI in zip lock)
    Cord
    Electrical Tape
    Knife sharpener??
    Note pad and pen
    Extra straps

Wash bag:
    Camp towel
    Soap
    Washcloth
    Wet wipes in ziplock

RIFLE CASE
    Wby Mk V Accumark (.340 Wby) w/ safari sling/ scope (Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x50)
    Gun sleeve (http://www.opticsplanet.net/kolpin-sealtector-gun-sleeve-ko10852.html)

GUIDE
    Tent/cot/ sleeping pad, food, etc ..

Thanks in advance if you have any helpful comments.

Thats alot of stuff

Default if your skinning

take some rubber gloves....the kind the doctor uses
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    take some rubber gloves....the kind the doctor uses
    Hey, I'm not into that kind of thing, especially with my dad or my guide.

Default extra pair of shorts!!

that way when you see how big they are and that they are hunting you youll have something clean to change into.

sweet dreams!!

Default Hand warmers

If you have the room for these, they sure can make a bad rainy day seem warmer with just a tear open heat source. dont get them wet though, and they are not bio-degradable. Cabellas has them and buy the big ones that are 24hr heat. there 5"x6" or something like that and can make a cold sleeping bag feel alot better. I take them snowmachining for emergency purposes and with about 6 of them, that will cover both jugulars and 4 other pressure points on the human body.

Good luck on your hunt, what an experience, some people only dream of such a thing. Take a good small camera!! You can always delete the ones you dont want but cant take more when your back home telling stories.

Good safe hunting again.

Dennis

Smile list

Just a few notes on the list. Definetely, bring the knife sharpener. After a big bear with lots of fat you will have lots of finish work to do back at camp. Knife choice is very important. If you plan to skin the bear that YOU WILL GET then also have a second small pocket knife for the eyes and ears. Any swept back or teardrop knife will work. Help your guide in the skinning so you learn the proper cuts. You can even call Boondocks in Eagle River and get their how to skin a bear video that they sell. I would have wipes WITH my TP for the day pack. For power bars Odwala bars are packed with energy. Personally, I always have a pocket of Snickers bars in case a long day turns into a long night also. Camel Bak's are great and I would replace one canteen for a camelbak. Water filter is a must have. You did not mention a Headnet but I would put that in my pocket of whatever day pack will be with you.If those little black fly biting SOB's are out you will be glad you had it. Some head nets have camo patterns on the front that are difficult to see through so try a couple out before you go. You did not mention Imodium in your pharmacy box.
    Just a few suggestions if I may. Slim down your clothes. 10 undershirts can be 5 and wash them if need be. Neo's are great but if this is a fishing trip also then waders would be on my list for sure. Rain gear=Helly Hansen impertech. Ditch the poncho. 1 box of shells for main gun and a half box for the back up gunner. Unless you are taking two bears. Waterproof camera like a Olympus 720/1040 or equal. You have a good list. Hope this helps. GO LIGHT OR GO HOME.

Thanks to all for the helpful tips.

I think you should put this in pack form and put it all on your back, I think you will be pretty disappointed at the weight. Instead of so many clothes, take a sandwich bag of powdered laundry detergent and wash your dirty clothes every couple of nights or so. Clothes are probably going to be a lot of the weight there.

Are you taking four wheelers? Pack horses? That is the only way i would bring that much stuff!!!! Email this list to your guide and ask if he has some of that stuff in camp already, no point in hauling it out there if you can use his. I'm sure you're paying him enough to borrow a deck of cards.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Wink List

MH,

You're about to head out on a great trip. Be sure to post up a hunt report and some pictures when you get back to civilization.

I agree with the other posters. That is A LOT of stuff. What are your weight restrictions if you are flying into camp?

Here's some ideas...

Cut the number if hunting clothes in half...that will still be plenty. One pair of travel clothes will be enough, the ones you wear for the trip up north. If you need to wash them before you head home that can be done, but I doubt that will be necessary. Instead of a pillow, use your jacket and fleece vest. You can take all that gore-tex rain gear and maybe stay dry, or take just one set of HH Impertech and know that you will stay dry. Trust those of us that have tried both...the HH works! For a camp towel, check REI or CampMor for a synthethic towel. It will be much lighter, more compact and it will dry in a short time unlike cotton.

I also recommend some of the heat packs that 338MB mentioned. Take a few of the smaller ones along to help dry your boots or gloves at night when they get wet. You didn't mention what kind of trash bags you were taking. I'd take only two, but make them the heavy contractor type plastic bags. They will hold up much better than any other trash bags. For your deodorant, take an UNSENTED type. And keep all your TP and camera in small ziplock bags to keep those items dry. And also keep your camp insulated top and bottom in a plastic bag or put them in your sleeping bag compression bag if it is waterproof. You NEVER know what may happen to your tent while out hunting.

Also check with your airline to see if you can take the waterproof matches, lighters and lighter fluid with you. You may need to purchase those items in AK when you arrive. If you are taking a commercial flight to Bethel, you may need to wait until you get there to purchase those items, or have your guide get them for you before you get to camp.

The headnet mentioned in another post is a great idea and I would not go to Alaska without taking along some good, 100% Deet insect repellant. Another item that may make the days easier is a small piece of closed cell foam to sit on while glassing for bears. I just cut a SMALL piece from an old sleeping pad. It will keep your hindend warm and dry-much better than sitting on the cold ground and it also can be used by your sleeping bag to stand on while getting dressed.

GOOD LUCK and have a GREAT trip!!!

Another vote for slimming down the amount of clothing.

One item I didn't see (Or may have overlooked) is a small canister of Gold Bond, or similar, medicated powder. You are going to be in a damp environment, doing some strenuous activities, that powder in a clean and/or dry pair of socks just before you crawl into the bag at night, does wonders......It'll also come in really handy given the possibility of the onset of "wader-rot"...Never fun.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Too much clothes, I guess if you can take it without more cost take it. But I would not want to handle, pack, and pay for the extra weight. On 7 day trips I take 3 T shirts and go in wearing one. Two pants including the one I'm wearing. For jackets I take one Gortex and on HH. Have never had issues with the amount of clothing and have had 13 inches of rain on a 7 day tent based bear hunt in SE Alaska. I do have a fly in and out set I wear into town and back home which I leave at the air charter.

Thanks guys. I am going to slim down on my clothes and add a few of the things you guys have mentioned. I will respond more specifically to some of your good advice in a bit, when I have more time.

what about salt for the hide?

Guide just commented, and already has many of the extras you all mentioned.

the contyext is, and I might be oversimplifying, but we're basically going to fly one of those death trap single engines (just kidding) to somewhere near a river. Then, we are going to load up the raft with gear in waterproof bags. Then, we go on a relatively-short float to three camps in series over the ten days. The river is, I think, very close to each of the camps. So, I can make multiple trips from where I unload the gear to where the camps are.

That being said, I still don't want to bring too much.

And keep in mind, I want to take one extra layer or so, in case my dad falls short with what he is bringing.

Also, the "urban clothes," gun case, etc., won't be going with me on the final leg of the trip on the death-trap plane.

I am formulating more follow-up questions, but I will start with this:

AKFish (and others regarding the clothing issue):

I failed to mention that the clothes I mentiones include those on my back, and I'm going for ten days (it's actually eleven, if you count the first and last one, but some might think that's mathematically flawed). Also, after years of cold-weather backpacking and hunting, I almost can't do without the SHTF insulated layer and the 1-U/W-per-day.

As far as the pants, t-shirts, and jackets, I was considering above:

4 pants (really light)
    10 t-shirts
    3 jackets

For a 7-day trip, you (AKFish) mentioned (including the ones on your back):

3 pants
    4 t-shirts

2 jackets

Given that I'm trying to bring one extra layer for dad, and that my trip is 1/3 longer than your 7-day trip, are we not fairly close on those items except that I'm talking about more t-shrts?

Also, do you also bring any outer-wear shirts; fleece-like jacket/vest, or any long underwear tops or bottoms. I understand that temps most likely will be in the 25-45 degree range where I'm going.

I thank you all very much for the time you took in reading my list and providing your helpful advice. I'm using that in tweaking my list. I'm just trying to think this through since it's my first time on an AK hunt, and have not been out in the wild for ten straight days since fighting the bad guys, and even then, he had vehicles full crap. My backpacking trips have been shorter than a week.

Quote Originally Posted by 338MUZZLEBREAK View Post
    If you have the room for these, they sure can make a bad rainy day seem warmer with just a tear open heat source. dont get them wet though, and they are not bio-degradable. Cabellas has them and buy the big ones that are 24hr heat. there 5"x6" or something like that and can make a cold sleeping bag feel alot better. I take them snowmachining for emergency purposes and with about 6 of them, that will cover both jugulars and 4 other pressure points on the human body.
    I had meant to put those on my list. I have heard/read that, if you put a hand-warmer in wet boots with a dry sock over the top, it will dry the boots out over night. Has anyone ever tried this?

Also, what about the 12-hour 4"x5" ones? According to the specs (http://www.warmers.com/Category.aspx?Cat=1&pval=0%7c1&pkey=Products%7cGra bber+Warmers&pIds=Showcase|CategoryID), they are hotter but burn half as long as the 24-hour 4"x5" ones. To me that sounds more useful, but I've never used them, so I don't know what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by AK LIVIN View Post
    what about salt for the hide?
    Guide has that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie P View Post
    MH,

You're about to head out on a great trip. Be sure to post up a hunt report and some pictures when you get back to civilization.

I agree with the other posters. That is A LOT of stuff. What are your weight restrictions if you are flying into camp?

Here's some ideas...

Cut the number if hunting clothes in half...that will still be plenty. One pair of travel clothes will be enough, the ones you wear for the trip up north. If you need to wash them before you head home that can be done, but I doubt that will be necessary. Instead of a pillow, use your jacket and fleece vest. You can take all that gore-tex rain gear and maybe stay dry, or take just one set of HH Impertech and know that you will stay dry. Trust those of us that have tried both...the HH works! For a camp towel, check REI or CampMor for a synthethic towel. It will be much lighter, more compact and it will dry in a short time unlike cotton.

I also recommend some of the heat packs that 338MB mentioned. Take a few of the smaller ones along to help dry your boots or gloves at night when they get wet. You didn't mention what kind of trash bags you were taking. I'd take only two, but make them the heavy contractor type plastic bags. They will hold up much better than any other trash bags. For your deodorant, take an UNSENTED type. And keep all your TP and camera in small ziplock bags to keep those items dry. And also keep your camp insulated top and bottom in a plastic bag or put them in your sleeping bag compression bag if it is waterproof. You NEVER know what may happen to your tent while out hunting.

Also check with your airline to see if you can take the waterproof matches, lighters and lighter fluid with you. You may need to purchase those items in AK when you arrive. If you are taking a commercial flight to Bethel, you may need to wait until you get there to purchase those items, or have your guide get them for you before you get to camp.

The headnet mentioned in another post is a great idea and I would not go to Alaska without taking along some good, 100% Deet insect repellant. Another item that may make the days easier is a small piece of closed cell foam to sit on while glassing for bears. I just cut a SMALL piece from an old sleeping pad. It will keep your hindend warm and dry-much better than sitting on the cold ground and it also can be used by your sleeping bag to stand on while getting dressed.

GOOD LUCK and have a GREAT trip!!!
    Thanks for al the good hints Bernie. I can take the lighters and matches on most airlines. If they take them away, I'll get more. The lighter fluid, I will certainly have to buy locally.

For better or worse, I made the decision to go with the Gore-Tex stuff already over the HH stuff, and that ship has sailed away for this trip. I've got some pretty good stuff though, which has worked well from me in long downpours in the past. I just find it more comfy than the rubber stuff.

One of the last things I am thinking of getting kis a few water-proof stuff sacks to pack a lot of this stuff down.

Something I've used in the past to reduce the volume that clothes take up. I went to Fred Myers and bought some of the large waterproof bags that can be vacumed down. They will reduce the volume that the clothes take up by at least 50%, are waterproof and can be reused later. I'm taking them again on my 14 day flyout for moose/sheep hunt.